Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired curmudgeon
23,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zootopia.

You've all seen the trailer where the rabbit and the fox are at the DMV full of sloths. Funny, right? If you were looking for any more humor than that one scene you can forget about it. I listened to the TV film reviewer rave about how wonderful this Disney cartoon is. I thought why not, so we went to see it today.

Absolutely beautiful animation, the animals were sometimes funny, sometimes rude and the plot was fairly interesting.

But.

The whole thing was a lecture on how wonderful "diversity" is, how stereotypes are bad (except in regards to sloths, cops and wolves), and how a bunny could overcome prejudice. This is nothing more than a SJW movie about discrimination, racism and tolerance which it continually beats you over the head with. Did you know that sloths are slow, cops eat donuts and rabbits breed very fast? But that's okay because the message is "pure". The lecture once again. There are only two vaguely funny scenes, and one was spoiled in an early trailer.

I don't like "lefty" message movies, or to be talked down to. It was a cute movie that your 4 year-old should see, but I wish I'd spent my money on a couple of Kindle books.

·
Registered
16,598 Posts
You actually think that movie is something a 4 year old should see? There is a frigging nudist club scene in it!
See! There you go judging again!:xeye:

They aren't "nudists" they are "naturalists", it's a whole different thing! I mean...they ARE animals, and animals don't wear clothes, right? Get the joke? Do you get it? Can you understand their incredibly awesome humor genius yet?:rolleyes:

But seriously...I also despise the current trend to make adult jokes and use adult themes or scenes in kids movies.

·
People Are Not Good
2,996 Posts
Other than the "lets not judge a group by the few" message (a good message, but political none the less) I liked it.

The movie was almost perfect for a movie about animals living together. All things considered.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
But seriously...I also despise the current trend to make adult jokes and use adult themes or scenes in kids movies.
Kids don't understand them but parents do, which in a way keeps the cartoon interesting for them too. Can't let the kids see that there would be million things you would rather do than watch "pink unicorns fly circles" with her.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
Um... it's a cartoon. About animals...

Sometimes you just need to enjoy something for what it is. :rolleyes:

You know what the kids got from it? That cartoon animals are funny.
That's it.

I guess we should hate Bambi because it showed gun owners in a bad light.
Or Snow White because it showed unwed multi partner living arrangements.
Or maybe Nemo because it promoted shark vegetarianism...
Or Peter Pan because it didn't recognize the hard working entrepreneurship of the pirate class? And fairies, it had fairies. Oh, the male Peter Pan was often played by a woman. Cross dressing! Ban it!!

I think we're just as bad as the left sometimes. Great big toes on both sides.
Sad really...

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
Kids don't understand them but parents do, which in a way keeps the cartoon interesting for them too. Can't let the kids see that there would be million things you would rather do than watch "pink unicorns fly circles" with her.
It is not exactly a new trend either. Ever re-watch cartoons/children movies from your youth? :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.