Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Urban Survival with Moles, Voles Gophers and Ground Squirrels)

Once many years ago, when I was working at the jail, I came home one afternoon and was engaged in conversation by my neighbor across the street. As we spoke, literally over her fence, we noticed a common pocket gopher bobbing its head up out of its hole in her flowerbed inches from my feet. He was chewing on one of her flowers! ...

http://desertdavesteotwawkisurvivalguide.blogspot.com/2011/01/moles-voles-and-pocket-gophers.html

<snip>

In the aftermath of an Argentina style economic breakdown food and / or the wherewithal to purchase food may become scarce. Hunting in remote areas is a gamble which involves expenditures that often won't be recovered by the value of the game (if any) harvested. Hence hunting in urban areas may appear desirable until you consider the complications arising from carrying guns around and shooting in an urban or suburban environment.

There's also the problem of size. Any animal (pets or wildlife) large enough to be loose on urban/suburban streets is likely to be hunted in hard times. (There are precious few stray dogs on the streets of cities in countries where dog is on the menu.) As the sole predator of any urban / suburban creature you're likely to do better than if you duke it out with all the other predators for popular game.

As a retired businessman I can tell you that you don't want to be competing -- head to head – with a crowd. For the small businessman success if found along the edges of markets. Find the part of the market that isn't being exploited and market into that void. The little guys who go head – to – head against Walmart go under while the little guys who sell something Walmart <b>doesn't</b> sell thrive right next door to the big boxes.

Hence the desirability of urban trapping and snaring to supplement your diet. ...

<snip>

http://desertdavesteotwawkisurvivalguide.blogspot.com/2011/01/moles-voles-and-pocket-gophers.html

·
Registered
204 Posts
Something I have wondered is, is it safe to even handle say a dead groundhog in the warmer months? They carry a lot of fleas and ticks that could themselves be carrying disease. I have heard of many people that eat them but never heard how they were handled or prepared.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
You need to post that story of the .22 magnum and the gopher over in the firearms forums where there are always threads running about the virtues of the .22LR as a self defense round. Though I doubt it would do any good. They won't let the truth shatter their fantasies.

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something I have wondered is, is it safe to even handle say a dead groundhog in the warmer months? They carry a lot of fleas and ticks that could themselves be carrying disease. I have heard of many people that eat them but never heard how they were handled or prepared.
MeatySauce, I put some recipes at the bottom of the piece. You can go back and read the last part again.

If I were trapping for food I'd be sure to check my traps daily and wear gloves when handling them until I'd soaked them in a bucket of water for a few minutes to kill off fleas & ticks.

Be sure to check out the picture of the squirrel cook, by clicking on the link, in the recipes section at the bottom of the piece. A picture is indeed worth 1000 words.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.