Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

For a while my friend has been telling me to buy a zippo lighter to replace my survival lighter that will not light in cold weather. So far I like my zippo a lot better. Incase I get lost I have extra lighter flints in the part where you put lighter fluid, even after I run out of fuel the flints could save my life. The windscreen around the wick has kept it burning on very windy mountains. There are a lot of accesories you can buy for zippo. Zippo has had the same lighter design for 75 years and its been used in WWII Korea and Vietnam.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Armyranger,

Thank you for sharing the video. I have couple Zippos also. The belt holster is a great. I got one a couple years ago. One thing that I do when I take my Zippo into the field is take a one inch band of rubber cut from a bike innertube and put it over the Zippo. This helps keep the fuel from evaporating. That is the Zippos only flaw....fuel evaporation.
Keeping extra flint in the bottom of the lighter is also a great idea.

Flint

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Good review, thank you!
I thought I was the only person, in the U.S., who still carried a Zippo.

·
It's a Jeep Thing
211 Posts
Good review, thank you!
I thought I was the only person, in the U.S., who still carried a Zippo.
My dad always carried Zippo lighters and as a smoker so have I. I even have one of his old ones.
Fuel evaporation is an issue, I fill mine weekly. I always keep a few extra flints in the bottom under the padding.

·
SURVIVOR
1,089 Posts
nice lil thing to have...i lost my zippo about 6 months ago. i've owned probably about 10 in my lifetime! and lost them all. i need to get one from the bars, they tend to hand them out quit often. some bars i know of will give you a zippo if you ask the bartender for matches. most ive bought though. it might be worth carrying, but i like to have 3 cheap bic lighters in my pack..the kind with an adjustable flame and the fling will last a long time too depending on if it gets to low and ends up crappin out

·
Registered
190 Posts
i carry 3 of these in my BOB. One i purchased, the other 2 were given to me by the Marlboro Girls at a bar one night for signing up for some newsletter. I got 4 packs of smokes and 2 plain zippo's. Never did open the smokes though lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
smoke em if you got em

Thanks guys for bringing back some old memories. I had forgotten about the flints, ha. I too used to put a couple of flints up in the cotton. I do remember the over filled leaky zippo lighter skin rash problem, yikes. I still have a few Zippo lighters but have moved on to carrying a few of the cheap disposable lighters in my kit. A Zippo would not be as reliable for me, as I haven't smoked in a very long time, my Zippo would be perpetually out of fluid. Remember the routine, tapping the lighter in an attempt to get enough fluid up to the wick to get it to light, ha. Aaaah the good old days, glad they are gone, ha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you want extra back up fluid you can buy the zippo fuel canister. Very nice gadget, holds the fuel without evaporating, has a holder for spare flints, a metal disc for unscrewing the flint and you can store an extra wick in the tip chamber.

·
ole punk from podunk
158 Posts
i have at least 100 of them, but I'm a collector of zippos, i used to carry one all the time an have blistered my leg a few times, not fun. but if you keep the fluid an flints with you in your bob it would last forever...pk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Funny thing me and Zippo lighters.
I've never bought one. Ever.
But I have 4.

The first one I found near a pond I was exploring as a kid.

The second was given to my by my Uncle and it was one given to him when he was on the USS Noa after they recovered Friendship 7 (but don't quote me on that I need to look at the lighter again).

The third was one that I got by collecting Camel bucks. I didn't smoke but others I knew did and they gave me the bucks.

Last one I found while in college. It's an ugly gold and leather thing, but it was still free.

So, I have never and as far as I see it, can never buy one.

That and I'm cheap.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts