Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard from Kev earlier, and he made it through the storm just fine, but has no power or internet still.

I made it through, with minor damage from the 90 mi/hr wind I got. Power cambe back on 1 hr ago... I missed my a/c.

Photo# - Description
1 - Looking out my back door at what used to be my fence
2 - Looking from right side of photo 1 forward at my side fence
3 - My favorite little oak that just reached acorn stage this year
4 - The one tree that I was praying the storm would take.
5&6 - The wind was so strong, that it blew rain up into the vent, and then it dripped down right on top of this light fixture.

Attachments

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Wow...could have been much worse. Glad you're safe and only had the minor damage that you did.

Reactions: joes

·
Savage intellectual
1,866 Posts
Lucky you. You could have the fence fixed in an afternoon.

OBTW, the atomic blue tape on the windows does nothing for the broken glass. Seen plenty of broken windows after Wilma and Andrew with tape still attached to the broken pieces of glass. If you can't get hurricane shutters, at least use 5/8" plywood if nothing else.

Glad you're OK. Kev too.

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Glad y'all are ok.

I have friends outside of Houston - they helped family board up and evacuate then went back home. House is fine, but his shop is everywhere.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Good to hear that things are ok down there. We ended up with a little rain/wind in our neck of the woods but no damage to speak of.

11B

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the things that happened that amazed me was how well my homemade methanol stoves worked.

I have used them before to cook small things, but never large amounts of stuff. I used my beer can methanol stove to boil 8 cups of water for a raman feast (the kids love it). The stove worked so well, that I boiled the pot over thinking that I would have to refill the stove before It boiled the water. What a great thing to find out.

My wife was so impressed with my preps being put into action, that she said she would never ever say anything negative about survivalism again.

I'm at work today, and have driven past some more of the damaged areas. Houston is a Zoo right now. People are getting really violent, and the damage is pretty extensive. Cops are on duty at gas stations, with the entrances blocked, and they are only letting one car at a time in to these places. It's pretty rough in some areas still. Lots of people still have no power, and most all of us are still on a boil advisory. I wonder how many people don't know that when the power goes down, so do the water treatment plants. I'd like to know how many days we have to let the water purge before it's safe. I've had full water pressure, and clear water since Saturday morning, but I'm still drinking and cooking out of my stored pre-Ike water.

I sure hope Dwind and some of the others are alright.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Glad you and Kev are alright. Looking forward to more updates (hopefully positive ones)

oh and by the way...
My wife was so impressed with my preps being put into action, that she said she would never ever say anything negative about survivalism again.
sweet!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts