Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some back-up glasses from Zenni a couple weeks ago and today I got a message saying they're having delays because of the virus but expected to get back to work. I didn't realize they're shipping straight from China and it's not too far from Hubei, Danyang. I'm definitely concerned about this. There's no way to cancel the order. I guess I could disinfect or let it sit for a couple of months but since these are cheap back-up glasses and I have a bunch already, I could live without them and not worth taking the risk.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I emailed them to cancel my order, there's no way to cancel it online. I know I could disinfect it and I have PPE but I'm still pretty concerned not so much for myself but infecting others around me. Also some of the latest news is it's spread through air so I don't even want that package in my mailbox. If I get it, I may just toss it, it's not anything I urgently need. Personally I believe it's way worse than the officials are saying so I don't really want to take chances, especially over glasses I don't need. I hope they just cancel my order. Otherwise I may just spray the package with a bunch of Lysol and toss.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good suggestion but I'm not that concerned about all my mail, but getting things shipped straight from China is just asking for trouble right now imho, especially places not too far from where the virus originated. If it was on the other side of China I wouldn't worry at all. Update: I ended up calling them and canceling my order, they will give me store credit.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I ordered some back-up glasses from Zenni a couple weeks ago and today I got a message saying they're having delays because of the virus but expected to get back to work. I didn't realize they're shipping straight from China and it's not too far from Hubei, Danyang. I'm definitely concerned about this. There's no way to cancel the order. I guess I could disinfect or let it sit for a couple of months but since these are cheap back-up glasses and I have a bunch already, I could live without them and not worth taking the risk.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention~!
I'm in the market for some mail-order glasses,
and it just didn't occur to me that they would
probably be made in China.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Mule Skinner, you're welcome! I think many if not most glasses are made in China around the same place, it's not just a Zenni issue but in looking at several other online retailers, some do offer American-made glasses from certain companies, but you have to search for it specifically and they have cheaper pairs also probably made in China. If I needed glasses I would probably just go to Costco and order from them.

·
?
2,211 Posts
Just got an email that mine shipped out today. I'd gotten the same email as you several weeks ago.

Four to nine days is the lifespan of the virus outside a host so shipping updates will give a timeline away from Hubei Province. I'm just going to leave the package outside for several days, trash the packaging in the outside bin immediately after opening and disinfect the glasses.

·
Indefatigable
20,089 Posts
Just a heads up - I have worked both retail and in an optical lab. A lot of the frames and lenses that you buy from the shop in the mall come from China too. And pass right buy those $5 readers and $20 sunglasses at Walmart.

Reactions: allye

·
?
2,211 Posts
Just a heads up - I have worked both retail and in an optical lab. A lot of the frames and lenses that you buy from the shop in the mall come from China too. And pass right buy those $5 readers and $20 sunglasses at Walmart.

I image the Guccis and Kate Spades are made there too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts