Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Had a workshop with Prisig - he has a website and there is a guidebook to it too - http://www.amazon.com/Guidebook-Zen-Art-Motorcycle-Maintenance/dp/0688060692/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c interested in his topics- anyone else?

Great book! I second your recommendation. I read that book over 20 years ago and still remember much of it.

Also good is....

Way of the Peaceful Warrior

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Peaceful-Warrior-Changes-Lives/dp/1932073256/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269010132&sr=1-1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amen on "Zen"ophobia- even more shocking might be Julian Jaynes THE ORIGIN OF CONSCIOUSNESS AND THE BREAKDOWN OF THE BICAMERAL MIND
he passed away, but there's a great website www.julianjaynes.org
Fr. Leo Booth had great material on religious addiction, and I like the PBS video MARTIN LUTHER (empire series) on the subject, but trying to stay on the positive side of things I like this book Amazon.com: Spiritual Innovators: Seventy-Five Extraordinary People Who Changed the World in the Past Century (9781422360835): Ira Rifkin: Books Greg S.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
.....there are probably christians here that will call it satanic, because it is based on zen.
Dang Biker..... and you call me rabid........ you're getting more and more opinionated in your old age..........FYI, any informed Christian understands that Zen is the concept of getting closer to your spirit, which is excatly what we do.....our Spirit happens to be the Holy Spirit.....the issue with the Satanic( btw, that's a Christian term) or evil spirit is, they're there and alot of folks are open to evil spirits....now, I know you're not gonna deny that.

·
Banned
9,119 Posts
Dang Biker..... and you call me rabid........ you're getting more and more opinionated in your old age..........FYI, any informed Christian understands that Zen is the concept of getting closer to your spirit, which is excatly what we do.....our Spirit happens to be the Holy Spirit.....the issue with the Satanic( btw, that's a Christian term) or evil spirit is, they're there and alot of folks are open to evil spirits....now, I know you're not gonna deny that.
that's true, however, i have been told here that if it is not of god (ie. in the bible), it is of satan.
i'm glad that you are not that blind.

zen is a buddhist tradition and buddhists don't actually believe in god.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I believe this is the whole book:
http://design.caltech.edu/Misc/pirsig.html

An intesting anecdote from the story is how his motorcycling partner wouldn't let him fix the BMW with a shim made from a beer can, although it would have been a perfect (and free) fix.

That perfectly describes 'quality' as percieved by different people.
I think that your quote can sum up a lot of the book. It also referred to fear of technology and an inability to understand the purpose of technologies parts. When you understand the parts you are empowered to not fear them. If you don't fear them you come to realize that there can be alternatives to the force fed perceptions we on average have about things.

However it is important to note an underlying problem for the story teller. He admits that the efforts of understanding everything sent him into madness. There is not only bliss in ignorance but sanity too.

The hard part is learning how to live everything in moderation so you can have knowledge w/ out insanity.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
that's true, however, i have been told here that if it is not of god (ie. in the bible), it is of satan.

Buddhists do believe in God. They just don't believe in the concept of the Abrahamic God. And, they don't call it God.

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
it's a great book. i read it years ago.
however, there are probably christians here that will call it satanic, because it is based on zen.
Quote from the book:
... it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It’s not very factual on motorcycles, either.

SgtBooker ... you should edit your last post and take the plot spoiler out of it.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts

Zen may be a Buddist tradition, but they certainly don't have monopoly on the concept....isn't it interesting that most all religions reach for the same goal?

·
Banned
9,119 Posts
Zen may be a Buddist tradition, but they certainly don't have monopoly on the concept....isn't it interesting that most all religions reach for the same goal?
yes...all religions have that they share than that which seperates them.
i would that all could celebrate the commonalities, rather than fight over the differences.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
yes...all religions have that they share than that which seperates them.
i would that all could celebrate the commonalities, rather than fight over the differences.
So would I, except my religion says not to be open to the negative spirits.......no human can negotiate with them, no matter how much they think they can....the trap is that they think they can....even Buddism abhors and turns from evil spirits.....some religions don't.....btw, some religions aren't allowed to celebrate, that's too full of self pride......now, praising..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.