Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first AKM varient rifle, and I want something of high quality, I don't really feel like spending the amount of money an SGL-21 will cost me. So I've been looking around for a decent-high quality AK within the 600-800 range of price. I know Century Arms is a brand I want to stay away from, on Atlantic Firearms they have several types of Yugos, most of them come from Century Arms. I've heard Yugos are built like tanks (something I'm interested in) But my question is, is this model made by century, cuz I can't find any connection? Second, is it good quality, or should I just fork over the cash for a Arsenal?

Here's the link: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...47-m70-pap-7-62x39-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

·
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
2,529 Posts
I cant advise on the Yugo, I do hear they are good to go... I can only add my two WASRs have been a flawless runner with Wolf and Tula.

GL,
EB

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yugos are nice, but the ONLY thing they share with other AK's are mags. EVERYTHING else is a no-go. And they're heavy (11lbs unloaded)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Zastava has as well earned rep for high quality medium priced bolt actions (they made the mauser mark X for interarms. I asume they semis are good too

·
Happy to be here!
4,935 Posts
Every AK I have ever purchased from Century, including both my Yugos had canted front sights. They are also very heavy. It was a good rifle other than that.

·
Banned
1,402 Posts
I would not buy the PAP rifle. It has that terrible dust cover rail, and they come with single stack bolts and feed ramp. Creates all kinds of issues with feeding.

The N-PAP is the second gen, and the one that I have. When buying this model, be aware that the stock has a very high comb height (to be used with optics) which can make using the iron sights difficult and results in really bad cheek slap. I ended up sanding mine down and refinishing all the wood, but it's something to be aware of.

The O-PAP is the third gen, and it comes with military surplus wood and does not have the comb height issues.

All 3 models are sold with "chrome plated" bolts and carriers, but this is a lie. The bolt and carriers are unfinished metal and should be blued. I blued mine with Birchwood Cased Perma Blue and it looks fine.

All 3 do not have chrome lined barrels. Apparently that's an issue with some people, for whatever reason. Must be all that island hopping warfare people do.

The PAP and N-PAP do not come with rear sling swivels, and do not have a hole in the butt plate for a cleaning kit. I'm not sure about the O-PAP.

Check mag lock up. My N-PAP came with a mag catch that was ground down too much causing the magazine to sit low in the magwell. Had to be replaced and was a PITA.

Even with those minor issues, it's still the best deal you'll find on an AK. I picked mine up brand new in box for $520 about a month ago. All 3 generations seem to go for about the same, under $600. Went to a gun shop after buying mine and the cheapest AK they had was a WASR for $750. The Yugo is a HUGE step above the WASR.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Or go CZ. greatest 7.62x39 extant. Upgrades that might be handy are aluminum liners for the composite furniture (not necessary on the hardwood) and a scope mount or high viz iron sights. Menial things that, when combined with the cost of the VZ58, still come in around stock M70 prices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nothing wrong with the Pap, i have a pap( and love it) and npap UF and an Opap. Those that say they are bad don't know what they are talking about and are probably just repeating what someone else said with no evidence. Maybe the first ones had problems, the current ones don't. Anyone remember that all these AK's come into the US in single stack form for import laws? Century then makes them double stack, so saying a single is bad is plain stupidity, they all were single. The dust cover doesn't matter if you aren't going to scope it. I guess ALL wasr 10/63's are crap too then...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I recently went through the same process and ended up with a Century WASR. Century used to have a deservedly bad rep but their quality has turned around in recent years.

Here's the thing you have to remember - the import restrictions and rules on current import surplus AKs mean big chunks of the gun are going to be US made anyway. Doesn't matter which way you go.

The key therefore is to be picky. If you can see it and handle it in a shop you can check for canted sights and loose mag fitting issues. That's how I ended up with my WASR. If you do order it online make sure you can reject it if its not a good example.

There are a lot of options out there. WASRs at a good price can definitely be a value. Zastavas have thicker receivers, but that also means added weight. Vz2008s are an excellent value but are not AKs, which means fewer options for mods and potentially spare parts and most importantly IMHO they do not use AK mags. Stay far far away from the US made but cheap IO guns. You might be able to find a used Saiga or Arsenal in your budget range.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yugos are nice, but the ONLY thing they share with other AK's are mags. EVERYTHING else is a no-go. And they're heavy (11lbs unloaded)
I've got to also call complete & utter B.S. on that one. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As far as weight goes on ANY weapon: Man up & stop being such a wuss about it.

Our fathers & grandfathers lugged heavy-assed Garands & full combat rigs during 3 full years of combat in the Pacific & ETO during WW2 without whining about it.
You want a combat rifle? Deal with it.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
nothing wrong with the Pap, i have a pap( and love it) and npap UF and an Opap. Those that say they are bad don't know what they are talking about and are probably just repeating what someone else said with no evidence. Maybe the first ones had problems, the current ones don't. Anyone remember that all these AK's come into the US in single stack form for import laws? Century then makes them double stack, so saying a single is bad is plain stupidity, they all were single. The dust cover doesn't matter if you aren't going to scope it. I guess ALL wasr 10/63's are crap too then...
The problem is that with a company like century every single experience is anecdotal. There is no measurable metric of quality control. 10 people get good rifles, 10 people get bad rifles. One guy gets a good rifle or two, all of a sudden century has turned its act around and is good-to-go.

Literally the only thing you can do is buy a platform you can support, and keep sending it back until they get it right. There is a reason century has been the cheapest game in town forever. Go into it realizing that and you will be better off.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Go to your local gunshow when it comes to town, they'll have a few examples on hand. Look for canted sights and that the magwell seems to be machined straight. If it is, likely the weapon is good to go. I own an M70 underfolder from several years back(with polymer furniture and nightsights from the factory back when that was offered) and it is the heaviest AK I own. 10lbs or so loaded.

The Yugo/Serbian AKs have a few quirks to them. Aftermarket furniture has to be Yugo specific in all areas except the grip and flash hider(14x1LH, like every 7.62 AK except Arsenal). The M92 also has proprietary threads. As stated earlier mags are common with any other AK. The bolt carrier group is hard chrome, but the barrel is not. If that's important to you, it's something to consider. The receiver is stamped like all AKMs, but it's 1.5mm instead of 1mm, and has an RPK barrel(heavy barrel).

As far as Century Arms goes, they import weapons and then sub contract them for the 922R compliance. Back when WASR10s went for as much as a couple tanks of gas, quality control was suspect but if you knew what to look for you could have a great rifle for little money. The Kalash is such a simple design that with a little patience and shop skills pretty much any problem can be overcome by just asking around for guidance. These days Century has gotten better(because the market demanded it as imports started drying up) and have several strong models on the market. For what the Yugos are selling for you can't go wrong, especially if you're just getting into the AK game. I think the Romanian M10 is the best deal going in AKs right now, but that's just my opinion. Have fun brother, just don't buy sight unseen.

·
Threepin'
4,063 Posts
I'm looking to buy my first AKM varient rifle, and I want something of high quality, I don't really feel like spending the amount of money an SGL-21 will cost me. So I've been looking around for a decent-high quality AK within the 600-800 range of price. I know Century Arms is a brand I want to stay away from, on Atlantic Firearms they have several types of Yugos, most of them come from Century Arms. I've heard Yugos are built like tanks (something I'm interested in) But my question is, is this model made by century, cuz I can't find any connection? Second, is it good quality, or should I just fork over the cash for a Arsenal?

Here's the link: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...47-m70-pap-7-62x39-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
Atlantic's customer service is great. I've gone through them a couple times now.

They sent an NPAP to my FFL and it is my go-to AK. The thing is built like a tank.

Advantages:
Price
Reliability

Disadvantages:
Yugos have different sized furniture (you have to buy special stocks and handguards for them)
Weight
Wood stock that comes with it has a very high comb that causes cheek slap if you don't awkwardly position your nose right up on the receiver while shooting; the length of pull is awkward and long too
No chrome-lined barrel (not an issue for civvies)

Really, for the price, they're amazing. They initially had feed problems with the single-stack bolts, but I believe that issue is completely remedied now as they are in "Gen 3".

The different sized furniture isn't a big deal. Hogue and others make aftermarket parts.

The stock sucks IMO. I replaced mine with an ACE adapter and ACE skeleton stock. For the price it costs to get it outfitted with a new stock, you could have an OPAP. The OPAP does not have the comb problem.

Overall a great rifle. Very, very sturdy and would be my "EOTWAWKI" rifle. I have actually not cleaned it yet (2000+ rds) and don't plan to for a while. I don't shoot corrosive so I'm not concerned.

Mine is a bit particular about mags. It will take surplus and PMAGs, but no Circle 10s.

·
"shall not be infringed!"
406 Posts
I had a new one, but lacquered wolf ammo kept getting stuck in the barrel. Extremely stuck. Sent back for repair...months later it came back...same problem. Sold it!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts