Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Troll Slayer
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking at a Zastava PAP AK-47 for about $500. What I'd like to know is, is this a reliable company?

I don't really know a lot about AK's but I've read that Zastava is run through Century Arms and that scares because I've heard some pretty nasty horror stories about Century Arms.

Thoughts?

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
Most the yugos Ive seen look and shot nice, you can always get your money back out of it, so your safe imho.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a m70ab2 yugo and its been an awsome work horse for the past 7 years. I wouldnt sell it even if someone offered 1500. My was imported by century, guess I lucked out. Over the years, I have seen some rough looking ones that disgrunted workers at century combled together. So what I would recommend is finding an auction with a bunch of pictures or a local one if you can find one. Century is hit or miss but Zastava is amazing. Zastava is one of the worlds oldest arms manufacturers. I have been to there factory in Serbia, but never took a tour. (dont think places there do tours unless you are military or an investor.) Long story short, I am about to purchase a Zastava m92 Krink for 2.5k. It is esentially the same gun you are looking to buy. Mine has a stock, different barrel, receiver, fit & finish and a $200 tax stamp. But is that worth 5X the cost? It is to me. But what does that say about the "pistol" in question? It says that its a hell of a deal, and you need to buy one. You can count on Zastava doing their part, but its Century that brings any sort of risk to the equation.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Zastava has a very good reputation, and if the guns are "run through" Century,as you put it, then I assume that means they're merely the importer, rather than the actual builder. If that's the case, you should have no concerns about the Century affiliation.
And from what I've seen, at least with the WASR's, Century finally wised up and started addressing the common issues with their rifles. The early WASR's had numerous quality issues,( particularly canted sights and gas tubes, and over-hammered rivets) which negatively affected their reputation to this day, but the later WASR's were tight,straight, and reliable.I've had at least a couple, and they were solid rifles I'd be more than happy to have if the SHTF.
And,as mentioned above, the Century-imported Yugo's are excellent rifles ( I sold my Century-Yugo underfolder back during the Great Assault Weapon Panic of '08 for $850!!:D: )
Are you buying sight unseen ( internet) ? Or is it a local sale that you can inspect prior to purchase ? If it's local, I'd be all over that at $500, and even on-line it's a good deal,IMO.

BTW, I was stationed at Camp Horno back in the 80's. Ooh Rah, mo-fo !!!!

·
Bad Guy
802 Posts
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression no high capacity AK-pattern rifles could be imported, they need to be in sporter format, single stack ten round, or both. So century must have done something to it.....and if they did, you don't want it.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression no high capacity AK-pattern rifles could be imported, they need to be in sporter format, single stack ten round, or both. So century must have done something to it.....and if they did, you don't want it.
A 10-second Google search yielded this.....http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/60428

so,yeah,it's "sporterized".;)

This link to BudsGunShop has some informative reviews.....http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/60428

".....almost any modification to this gun requires cutting or removing or adding or rivets etc etc." It looks like it won't accept standard full-capacity AK mags without mods. Legally, it's just a Saiga, in which case, I'd recommend just getting a Saiga.

·
Registered
22,007 Posts

·
Troll Slayer
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The second one is actually the one I was looking at except with a thumbhole stock. Does anyone know if those will take standard AK mags? Or only the 10 round mags?

Here's a pic of the one I'm looking at

I'm tempted to just grab a SKS for now since I'm living in California for about the next year and a half. The SKS would be legal from the get go while I'd have to put one of those dumbass "bullet buttons" on any AK that I get.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reminds me of a gun I had back in the day called a Norinco Mak90. Great gun, mine was in 223 though. The Mak90 took regular AK mags as it was just a sporter version of the AK.

·
Producer
309 Posts
The second one is actually the one I was looking at except with a thumbhole stock. Does anyone know if those will take standard AK mags? Or only the 10 round mags?

I'm tempted to just grab a SKS for now since I'm living in California for about the next year and a half. The SKS would be legal from the get go while I'd have to put one of those dumbass "bullet buttons" on any AK that I get.
That looks like a single stack (10 round) mag, so it wouldn't accept the higher capacity mags without some work. I think that's where Century was screwing up the Zastava rifles. They would import the 10 rounders, then do a crappy job opening up the mag wells and in the process causing the higher cap mags to wobble. As far as I know the AK's that accept single stack mags are unmolested from Zastava, made that way specifically for import to the US.

·
Troll Slayer
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks like a single stack (10 round) mag, so it wouldn't accept the higher capacity mags without some work.
Yea that's what I've read after doing further research. But if I'm gonna get an AK I want it to take the 30rd mags. So I guess this one is a pass for me. But if anyone else is interested here's the link on gunbroker that I was looking at.

LINK

·
Bad Guy
802 Posts

Man, if you could find a Russian SKS there in Cali, I'd grab it.....or two.:thumb:

·
Troll Slayer
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol, if I do buy an SKS it'll prob be from online and have it shipped to a dealer here or just send it home and pick up when I go on leave. Too much trouble trying to find one around this area.

Heck it blew my mind that the local Wal-Mart didn't have any firearms for sale.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
They also have Yugo PAP in pistol grip conversion, I'm not sure where I saw them. I can't wait to get my hands on a PAP pistol.

·
Mad Man with a Box
4,823 Posts
Century at their worst still wasn't the worst. Had one of their L1A1 Sporters which was a nice rifle. Only quirk was the inch-pattern parts mated to a modified IMBEL metric receiver, so it required metric mags (and this is a good thing, compare prices of inch-pattern and metric mags). Used to say the rifle was British enough to drink tea, but Brazilian enough to look good in a bikini.

And Zastava is a very good make, though I'd rather have the Zastava M76.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The original Century AK PAP had the optic rail on the cover, which was a bad idea because anything on the cover wobbles.
Century has discontinued that version & replaced it with the current PAP, using a left-side rail that accepts a dual-rail optic "base" that they sell separately.

Both models use a higher-angled stock to accommodate the higher optic sighting plane.

I found in using the irons on the first version the stock angle required me to get my cheekbone right down & resting on the wood, which thumped the cheekbone on every shot fired. Minor bruise there the following day.

Shooting the current version today with a Leupold HAMR optic on Century's side-mount base & rail and the same stock angle positioned the optic much more comfortably with my cheekbone well above the wood & still leaving a decent cheekweld.
Four different loads, five-shot groups at 100 yards. Best was a fraction under three inches.

Two malfunctions where the bolt didn't close fully, one of which was a misfeed jam.
New gun.

They ARE opened up for a double-stack mag by Century & ship with two of the 30-rounders.
This sample has a receiver cut for double-hook trigger, but uses a single-hook trigger.

Just FYI.

And Zastava has been making rifles in Serbia since at least the 1920s.
Usually know what they're doing.
Denis

1 - 20 of 23 Posts