Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
Guys, im debating over the YUGO M24/47 or a Mosin 91/30, the mauser is certainly more atractive looking but i was wondering if it is infact a better rifle, here is the site and prices for both, and ammo

http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm
I have fired numerouf Moisin Nagant's and my Father's Yugo Mauser. The workmanship and care taken of the Mauser is better. Both are good to great shooters given equal condition of the bore.

If I did not collect WWII rifles and just wanted a shooter I would go with the Mauser and think about converting it to .308 sometime down the Road.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The Mauser will probably be a better made rifle. I've never played with a Yugo, but most every Mauser I've seen beats the better Mosins on workmanship and fit.

Don't get me wrong, The Mosin is a blast and I have one. They just strike me as a simple design that was machined by a Russian that was in a hurry to turn out as many as possible before the Germans were knocking of the door of St. Petersburg. By virtue of that simple design, I don't think it is possible for a mechanical failure. :D:

The Mosin will probably be much cheaper to feed.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Mausers can be rebarreled without much fuss. Both of the rifles high points are cheap ammo. I think mosin ammo will be around longer than 8mm mauser.

There is still a good aftermarket following for the mausers. Stocks, scope mounts, rebarrel kits, and such. And if you choose to sell it, the mauser is more worthy of the modifcations.

There is still a good selection of 8mm brass and heads. I even think there is still 8mm mauser calibered rifles being made today.

Keep in mind though, the condition of the powder varies from round to round in 50 year old surplus ammo. Little is seen at 100 yards, but at 300 yards you're going to see a difference vertically. Still may be good enough for a 300 yard hunt.

Here is some barrels available. I am very tempted to put a hold on getting a saiga conversion or AR and make a 7.62x39 mauser. they're available at numrich gun parts.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=1491/k=/t=S/mfg=/Products/Mauser-Barrels

·
Registered
142 Posts
My first surplus was a yugo mauser, I just could not live with it stock so I bubbad it out thinking i would find a bunch of accuracy with a scope. It would not shoot any better than 8" groups at 100 with surplus ammo scoped or open sights.

Now for some reason I tend to stick with mosins. The actions are far from mauser smooth. But they seem to have decent accuracy with open sights.

I have heard that most mausers shoot better than mine does, but i have what i have.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Be aware that the Yugo Mauser has a slightly shorter action than the
German K-98 Mausers. Some of the numerous after-market goodies
made for the K-98's will not fit on the Yugos. If you're planning on
doing a "bubba" job on your rifle, a K-98 would probably be less
limiting than a Yugo.

Also the Yugos are a bit notorious for breaking firing pins. Original
replacements are all but impossible to find. (I've bought a spare
from a guy off Gun Broker who makes "new" ones by turning down
old K-98 firing pins to fit the shorter action Yugos.)

I've got both a Mosin and the Yugo 24/47. Hands down, the fit,
finish, smoothness and looks go to the Yugo. The Mosins work,
and are reliable, but they'll never win a beauty contest. Bang
for your buck, you can't beat a Mosin. If you want something
a little nicer, go for the Yugo.

My Yugo is actually a pending Christmans present, so while I've
already had my grubby little mitts on it to play with, I haven't had
a chance to shoot it, so I can't give you an accuracy comparison.

Windage and elevation fine-tuning on the sights of either gun is
not really user-friendly like many modern firearms.

I have been noticing that 8mm mauser ammo is definitely harder to
find in the stores. You can always find an assortment of 7.62x54R
at Cabelas, but I haven't seen Mauser ammo there for a while.
Plenty of places to get it on-line, but forget walking into your
local Walmart at the last minute and picking up a box.

For new ammo prices, the nod definitely goes to the Mosin. New
8mm Mauser is at best 50% higher than the typical Russian made
7.62x54R (Brown Bear, Barnul, etc.) Best price I've found on 8mm
is from Prvi Partizan, around $14 for 20. Great deals abound on
military surplus ammo, if you're willing to do the proper clean-up
when you're done shooting.

A neat thing about the Mauser ammo, (if you don't reload your own)
is that you can use two variants of ammo. The American made 8mm
is basically a dumbed-down load, on par with a 30-30. Much less recoil
for a more pleasant time at the range. The ammo is downloaded on the
off-chance that some pin-head with a pre-1898 Mauser (made to weaker
standards) won't grenade his own head off when his gun explodes.
Or, if you know your rifle is up to the task (like the Yugo is), you can
get the European made (or military surplus) ammo that is loaded to its
full capacity, and you're shooting every bit on par with a 30-06.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,249 Posts
I own a number of both. The Mauser has one of the strongest actions made, and is a prime receiver to build a custom gun on. The Yugo receiver is slightly shorter than the standard Mausers, so it's not suitable for building a full length magnum on, but it'll work for anything else. The Mausers also tend to be a little more accurate if it has a good barrel.

The real limiting factor would be the ammo. If you're going to store a bunch, which is cheaper? If not, which will be most available long term?

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
man I'd hate to know my selection was limited to a mosin or a mauser,......lol
Yeah man, thats just terrible man. Sounds like you know a lot about these weapons, man :rolleyes:

Both can be excellent shooters, but I'd lean towards the Mauser if you have the cash. Like others have said, the workmanship is so much better on them. Rebarreling to .308 is not a problem, so you don't have to worry about ammo availability or price.

In my opinion, I also prefer the looks and the feel of the Mauser over the Mosin Nagant.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
If cheap ammo is your interest here, the mosin is the winner. I think this may be your leaning.

I like the 7.62x39 for cheap ammo myself.

If you reload, any gun shoots cheap ammo then....

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
I am the proud owner of a yugo 24/47, and several R/C K98s...I am the previous owner of several M44s and M91/30s. Take from that one sentence what you will. :D:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have both a mosin nagant and a m44 both are fun, easy to maintain, and reliable. I have never had a mauser so I can not say anything about its benefits.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,596 Posts
I have purchased and converted at least 8 mausers of various makes. They can be converted into everything from 250 savage and 22-250, to 308 win, 270 win, 30-06, and one I converted to 458 win mag. The accuracy of a Mauser in typically limited by the quality of the barrel.

The extra large rimmed cartridge used by the Mosin limits what you can do with the action. Might not be a concern for you, but I always want the possibility of converting my rifles into a common commercial caliber.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have both a mosin nagant and a m44 both are fun, easy to maintain, and reliable. I have never had a mauser so I can not say anything about its benefits.
Same same. I like the cheap ammo for the Mosin, but it is corrosive.

·
Sell crazy someplace else
2,534 Posts
On Black Friday, I went to Big 5 to buy a Mosin 91/30 on sale for $90. I wound up with a super nice hex receiver 91/30 with matching numbers and a Turkish Mauser on clearance for $90 also. I have taken both guns apart. The Mauser is definitely a higher quality gun, but the Mosin isn't a piece of crap. I haven't shot them yet so I can't tell you which one shoots better. I don't think you will go wrong with either gun. It just boils down to $$. Which is cheaper to buy and shoot?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts