Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming money was no object (within reason, lets not get crazy and go all Bruce Wayne wealthy here) where would you choose to place a BIL and how would you supply it?

Lets avoid the whole "I'd pit it in a place only accessible by helicopter and be rich enough to have it built in secret and would chopper myself out to it when the SHTF, okay?

So, where do you place this BIL? In the the country you already live in? In the USA, in Aus, in UK, in Canada, etc.?

What region? State, Provence, etc.?

Do you live there permanently or live nearby and run to it when/if the time comes?

Is it totally off the grid from the get go or is it able to go off grid at a moments notice?

How do you stock it? Do you have a garden, a green house, a root cellar? If so what's in these? What do you grow?

Do you have livestock? If so what? Cows, Chickens, goats, rabbits, hogs, ginny fowl (SP?), llamas?

What kind of building do you have? PSP building, rammed earth (earth ship), cobb house, tree house, under ground, priest holes, indoor green house?

How close to "civilization are you?

What factors are of significance in making these decisions? Weather, population level, type of plants, type of soil, type of wildlife, etc.?

What have I left out?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If money was no object (hope this doesn't violate your terms):

There is a private 10 acre island for sale in the Puget Sound right now for $3.5 million http://www.privateislandsonline.com/ramisland.htm . I'd build a small house, and power it with a combo of solar, wind and wave-generated electricity. A little agriculture, some sheep, and I'm all set.

As an alternative, a lot cheaper (but a lot more logistically challenging!) would be something like this; http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=59129&url=
I get my BIL, BOL and BOV all wrapped in one!

·
Banned
317 Posts
I am there now, took me two months in the WWW to find it back in 2000

Six miles from a tiny town and with very few people around me.

Water by gravity and for free, have all the supply that I want or need and the same for PM.

Chickens and pigs when my brother gets here from Cuba, same for farming.

Five generators......3 for me and 2 for trading......with 785 gallons of gas.

250 gallons of kerosine for heating and 50 of the white one for lamp

Two wood stoves and all the wood that I need for free.

One 120w solar panel with inverter and 4 12v batteries for alarm system.

The can shut down the country right now and I'll be good for at least fiIve years.

All the "extra" goodies that I might need to defend myself.

Seeds and a tiller for when the time comes.

Lot of wild life, deers in my property all the time and the same for racoon, foxes, snakes and so on.

·
Super Moderator
12,196 Posts
My idea of an ultimate retreat estate (or an ideal home)

In the Missouri Ozarks or Black Hills country of Wyoming 25 – 50 miles from small town, 100+ miles from small city, 250 miles from major city

I’d live there permanently

Totally off grid

Greenhouse + garden + truck farm

Off grid, 6,000 square foot, two-story, 2 module, earth sheltered dome home equipped for full CBRNE attack defense, w/
septic system
guttering system w/cistern
water well w/solar pump

4 genset system (1 operating when needed, 2nd for heavy load, 3rd for standby, 4th, to replace the others as rebuilds are done)

18kw PV power system w/wind turbines (RWE Shott PV 300 w/48v panels, Xantrex/Trace 120v/240v inverter set, 4 banks of 2.2v/7000amp/hr batteries, 3 Bergey 7.5 kw wind turbines

satellite systems for phone, TV, and Internet,

underground-pipe-sourced heat pump, w/outdoor wood/coal furnace w/PV system for pumps/fans

earth sheltered sun room enclosed swimming pool,

Off grid caretaker’s 2000 square foot, one story, earth sheltered dome home with a family in residence to take care of the estate when the estate owner is not in residence

2 - 50’ x 200’ two-story, earth sheltered dome barns w/4 fenced pastures, a small herd of beef/dairy cows & a bull, a small herd of draft horse mares broken to saddle & a stallion, a small herd of sows & a boar, and a brood of laying chickens and a rooster

6 - 25’ x 100’ greenhouses with extruded polycarbonate panels, temperature & humidity control system, and earth sheltered support structure
4 for temperate plants, 1 for sub tropical plants, and 1 for tropical plants.

Tunnel system to connect all buildings

Bio-diesel production equipment
Fuel alcohol production equipment
Methane gas production equipment

Nut & fruit tree orchard
Blackberry brambles
Strawberry patch
Melon patch
Garden plot
20 to 40 acre stand of coppicing Ash/Hickory/White Oak firewood trees
Large wildwood lot for wild animal resources
Farm acreage (640+ acres) for truck farm operation
Small lake
Landing strip with earth sheltered hanger

Long-term-storage (LTS) food and supplies for 25 people for ten years
Extensive Only-Aid kit
LTS open pollinated seeds for gardens and farm crops

2 Rokon Trail-blazer 2x2 motorbikes with attachments for hunting, estate and garden work, and estate transportation

3 Bobcat All-wheel-steer A300 loader with set of attachments, for estate, farm, and garden work

2 Bobcat Toolcat 5600T utility work machine (can use A300 attachments), for estate, farm, and garden work.

6 Mercedes-Benz Unimog U500 4-wheel-drive trucks with attachments and trailers, for estate and farm work

USA6x6 converted Chevrolet Suburban SUV

USA6x6 converted Chevrolet Pickup

Custom Kenworth truck based all-wheel-drive motorhome w/hard armored engine compartment, fuel tanks, & underside, and soft armored motorhome body with outboard powered barge trailer to make it amphibious

Bombardier 415 MP amphibious cargo aircraft

Munson 52’ landing craft w/small overnight cabin

Feel free to ask questions or make comments.

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
there is crown land in the BC interior i would like to own; mountain/hillside.
Closest town would be 1hr drive away. population about 2000.
build a bermed monolithic dome complex with a dome greenhouse.
Solar/wind power would be manditory. Heat would be passive solar with a woodstove for backup.
Nearby lakes provide fishin. Lots of game to hunt in the woods.

other than women, what more would a guy ever need? ;)

peace
al

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've found where I want to be, but won't be able to purchase for another 5-6 months. Very few neighbors, really that entire region of the state is spread out. I'm not moving there for another 5 months after purchase, assuming nothing pops off before then.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I don't think you want that old sway back it takes about $4000 to fill the tanks and the engines burn 20 gallons an hour each. The old boats like that one are so cool but the keels start to bow just due to old age and if they are not maintained in like new condition whick takes about $2500 per month. Then you have slip fee because everywhere you go in the United States and try to anchor out the Coast Guard and the local Marine Patrol ,better known as the Water Nazi's are up your hiney almost every day. So now that you have decided to build on land. I hate to tell people that living aboard sucks in America but in most places it does. Better go for that island. Or keep looking but think sail no fuel needed most of the time.

If money was no object (hope this doesn't violate your terms):

There is a private 10 acre island for sale in the Puget Sound right now for $3.5 million http://www.privateislandsonline.com/ramisland.htm . I'd build a small house, and power it with a combo of solar, wind and wave-generated electricity. A little agriculture, some sheep, and I'm all set.

As an alternative, a lot cheaper (but a lot more logistically challenging!) would be something like this; http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=59129&url=
I get my BIL, BOL and BOV all wrapped in one!

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
i hate followin Jerry --- he never leaves much ta say

Reactions: Jerry D Young
1 - 10 of 10 Posts