Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading some info on using PVC to stash things such as weapons, and was wondering about maybe using PVC to stash Firearms and other weapons underwater, in lets say a 3ft deep coy pond or something. I was thinkin you could get some 4inch pvc and cap off one end and one of these on the other end so it is more accesible and you dont have to cut the pipe to get the stuff out.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
good thought there. i'm now gonna put some in the lake near the house just fill it and wieght it like a body off the jersey shore

·
Registered
435 Posts
If im not mistaken those screw caps are known to leak. and if your using a 3ft koi pond wouldn't the bright white PVC show up on the bottom fairly easily?

·
Fideli Certa Merces
178 Posts
I was reading some info on using PVC to stash things such as weapons, and was wondering about maybe using PVC to stash Firearms and other weapons underwater, in lets say a 3ft deep coy pond or something. I was thinkin you could get some 4inch pvc and cap off one end and one of these on the other end so it is more accesible and you dont have to cut the pipe to get the stuff out.
not a bad idea, but I have a couple of suggestions.

1 - Put it in water deep enough to not be easily seen (may rule out a coy pond unless it really deep, or you don't maintain it and it gets nasty
2 - Paint the pipe black
3 - Make sure it is anchored so it doesn't move at all or it may be tough to find
4 - The whole idea is that you're not able to see it from the surface so make sure that you know exactly where you put it or you'll never find it again
5 - Vacuum pack anything small enough to fit in the bags (pistols, ammo, etc)

Good idea though - I'll have to look into this.

Thanks! :thumb:

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
if its in a koi pond someone might think it was part of the system or you didn't do a good job. thread tape is a good thing for the screw on tops but yeah zip lock bag everything at the least

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
IMHO, trying to store anything that can be damaged by water under water is a losing battle. Water will get in. It is very hard to make things water proof. One tiny little pin hole is enough to let in water and your container will be flooded in a couple years.

Natural water shifts and drifts so much that finding anything you cache will be very difficult. Decorative water features will not be enough protection to make up for the difficulty of hiding anything in there. If you are doing any digging for these kinds of features just put the cache in under the pump house or the fence posts.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Cap off both ends and spray paint it to match the bottom of the pond. If you use the cleaner and sealer right you wont have a leak. I wouldn't use the screw on cap under water only where it will get limited moisture and then I would put some silicon on the threads.

Lets say your doing a rifle. Put the rifle in there, then some Oxygen absorbers and some ammo. Fill up as much space as you can. Cut a wooden disc that will fit snuggly inside the pipe about 5 inches from where the bottom of the cap is on the outside. Glue it in place. The space between the wooden disc and the edge of the cap is where you will use your cutting tool to cut open the pipe. You do this so you don't damage whats inside. Get the wooden disc out and you have access to your rifle and ammo. Putting the disc in when its empty will be easier but its up to you.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All great suggestions, thanks. I would definitely be painting the pipe. OD green would probably be perfect. The water in said koi pond is murky enough to where you cant see anything on the bottom, even stuff that is white. I had a guy come look at it ( a professilonal when it comes to koi ponds) and he said it is fine the way it is and doesnt need to be cleaned. except of course the plastic chair seen in the pic.

Yeah i guess using the srew on cap would be more likely to leak. However it is suggeted to use teflon tape in the threads. I may pick up some supplies and do some testing to find out how everything works out.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
If you do some tests, let us all know how it went. This might be something for the rest of us to think about trying...

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you do some tests, let us all know how it went. This might be something for the rest of us to think about trying...
I will, it will probably be next week before i get all the supplies.:thumb:

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
that's not a hottub gone bad? ;)
I'll just say this...make sure whatever you use is anchored securely...a giant pvc pipe will pop up like a toy submarine...or cork...or bobber...er, well, you get the idea...

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
might be a good idea to pick up a pound or two of silica gel from the flower shop. You can pack it in the space between the wooden disk and end cap since you will not care if you saw into it. If you have a very small leak this should take care of it.

If you really want to go nuts you can pack in a non-reversible humidity detector like this.

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
Hey looks like a great idea, water proofing a water proof pipe should be pretty damn easy. GL and great idea.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My expeience with water is that it will almost always find a way in eventually. If I were to use PVC tubing, I would prime and glue the end caps on. It would be a pain to get to the contents with a saw, but it would be dry. Mybe even caulking the end caps would ensure a water tight seal.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
One of my most favorite quotes, I don't know where it's from is, " The day it becomes necessary to bury your guns, is precisely the day you should dig them up!"

·
Registered
645 Posts
One of my most favorite quotes, I don't know where it's from is, " The day it becomes necessary to bury your guns, is precisely the day you should dig them up!"
I highly agree with this statement. :thumb:

On the other hand, if you do decide to store part of your arms securely in a water tight container, either under ground or under water- I highly suggest you treat it with gibbs brand lubricant before hand. Not only will it shead water and prevent rust if condensation or leakage occurs but it will preserve the metal after the fact. If you get to the point that you are digging up arms out of the ground/water you want to know it's going to work as it's supposed to.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would not. As it has been said, water will find its way into anything.
But, If I were to try I would definately not use threaded caps. Just seal both ends with regular caps and tons of glue and then if needed break of the end with a hammer to get into the pipe. Also, I would seal them in plastic bags, but NOT vacuum pack it. I sometimes vacumm pack dried apples, jerky etc. and the bags somehow lose their seal, haven't figured out how. But over a few weeks or so, air gets into the bags. If water were to get into the pipe and if there were a pinhole or even if the bag was slightly permeable somehow. The vacuum would suck the water into the bag. So just seal it without a vacuum. And coat it with some grease, cosmoline, etc. to protect it even further.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts