Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just checking out Cabela's online store and their archery section got me thinking - Is this a viable skill to learn? Of course, any new skill that will aid in hunting/protection is wise to learn, but in a post SHTF society, would it be more valuable to be a gun slinger or have someone skilled in archery also in your group?

What are your thoughts?

·
Watchful and Hopeful
122 Posts
With out a doubt I think everyone should be able to hand a bow; both a compound and long bow. It is a skill that takes a bit to learn but is surely worth the effort. In times of low ammo or ammo conservation arrows can be use more that once as well as fashioned from naturel materials if needed. Also, helps avoid the big "boom" from echoing thru the hills when you are trying to be stealthy.

Cabelas can be kinda pricey. I would consider looking in the local paper, trader book, or pawn shops. You may look in your area for local archery clubs in which you could maybe gain some knoweldge.

As a side note, a small commie villiage and AK 47's were now match for Rambo's archery skills!:D:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
could go the crossbow route. easier to learn/handle and loads of fun
I got a good one off Ebay for $40. Had it restrung and fit to my pull length. May need it to hunt or even defense in the future. Plus it doesn't go bang so it won't give you away.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just bought a bow a few months back, I'll show it off in my next video when I get the time. I LOVE IT! Had I been about 20 yards farther north last weekend, I would have a MONSTER 8 point buck on my wall right now lol. Plus they are fun to target shoot cuz arrows are cheap, reusable, and plain fun.

For survival I'd say its a decent idea, however, if you bang it around a lot, or just be real rough to it, its going to need sighted in. The range is shorter than almost all firearms, which is a flaw, but nobody hears you.

·
Editor, Ready Magazine
587 Posts
I am of the openion that skills with bow, crossbow and gun are a good idea for anyone concerned with preparedness. It is much easier to produce arrows then bullets, which gives you more choices in hunting. They are also much quieter and will be much less likely to give away your position when you are hunting.

If you plan to use a bow defensively I would suggest you really put some thought into it and develop skills and tactics that take in todays situation (bow vs. simi-auto and automatic weapons) so that you don't end up dead.

My $0.02.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
An archers thoughts

I got my first bow at 12 years old. I'm 46 now. :D: I would recommend a bow to you as well. I shoot several times a month if not more. It's one of the things my teenage daughter enjoys doing with me. She frequently out shoots me. :thumb: It's something she can be better at than other kids and gives her confidence. I have owned four or five compounds and still have two but I prefer the recurve. I shoot instinct and fingers which means no release, no sights, etc. Once you develop the "feel", "chi" or whatever you want to call it you will really start to enjoy archery. Prior to the advent of the gun, this weapon was the terror of the battlefield. Doesn't have the knockdown power a gun has but is surely deadly. You could shoot a charging lion with a gun, it might knock him down, but he might get back up and finish the attack. You shoot a charging lion with a broadhead and he's probably gonna finish his charge and get you, but he will surely go off and bleed to death, so it's a different type of killing weapon. However a well placed broadhead to the torso of a man will surely put him on the deck. A nice broadhead will punch right thru a bullet proof vest that doesn't have a plate in it. And as mentioned earlier it's silent. Here are some of my bows but this pic is a little old. I have more now. :D: I made the rack as well from wood left over from my spear rack I made.

·
Watchful and Hopeful
122 Posts
If you plan to use a bow defensively I would suggest you really put some thought into it and develop skills and tactics that take in todays situation (bow vs. simi-auto and automatic weapons) so that you don't end up dead.

I will start looking for a government, issued surplus like Rambo had. His bow hit the mark at about a 1000 yrds and certainly out matched the commies weilding AK's on there hips. :D:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I hunt with a bow and practice with it regularly its fun to shoot and I am fairly accurate out to 50 yards but I would not shoot at a deer at 50 yards but if I can get them within 30 yards I'm grilling back straps! Sad thing is I have more money in my bow then many of my fire arms, I'm a lefty and I have 600$ in my bow with all the accessories. I would hate to be on the receiving end of a 2 inch rage broad head just think about it dropping an enemy and all there here is the sound of a string pop! I have permission to hunt two properties solely on the fact that I agreed to only use a Bow. I shoot carbon arrows and have shot wooden arrows don’t know about making arrows that are as accurate as carbon or aluminum I have been spoiled but homemade arrows would seem to add a whole other skill set.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
How could learning to shoot a bow ever be Not Viable? Say society falls. Your ammo will only last so long. If I bug off to the woods then the bow will be my weapon of choice not the firearm.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
A bow is an excellent choice, but if you are not familiar with them, be careful of used ones go somewhere and get measured and try out a few before you make a choice just like everything else you get what u pay 4

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
You can't go wrong learning how to shoot a bow, great skill to have. The one suggestion I have is to buy locally, instead of Cabela's or a big box store. The archery places we have around here are a wealth of knowledge and advice. Most have indoor ranges for you to shoot, and they'll help get you sighted in, and most of the local archers that are practicing, are more than happy to help out a beginner.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Well i can shot a rifle but im rubbish with a bow,But Mrs Sticks is very good with a bow.

So if the SHTF id take Mrs Sticks hunting and save on ammo.

·
Editor, Ready Magazine
587 Posts
You can't go wrong learning how to shoot a bow, great skill to have. The one suggestion I have is too buy locally, instead of Cabela's or a big box store. The archery places we have around here are a wealth of knowledge and advice. Most have indoor ranges for you to shoot, and they'll help get you sighted in, and most of the local archers that are practicing, are more than happy to help out a beginner.
Echo that. We don't have a local store, but when my wife and I were looking at bows at the near by Cabela's they were very Knowledgeable, helpful and more then willing to let us test fire any of the bows in the store. We are looking into adding a couple of bows to the collection in the near future.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks!

Thank you to eveyrone who responded - makes me feel a bit more comfortable with my idea (what can I say, sometimes I feel like my ideas are out there so its nice to get a reality check once in a while).

I'll talk to DH tonight and see what his take is. I know he loves to go target shooting and I'd like to find something that jives with my personal beliefs but will still get dinner on the table :thumb:

Again, thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would very much like to lear archery and become skilled with a bow. However, it seems to me that if we're talking about a SHTF scenario then a recurve is just the best option to be skilled in. I'm certain that it's a long hard process to become skilled enough to be useful with a recurve.

Obviously a compound bow is going to be easier to learn on and a crossbow even easier than that... hell I have a cheap little crossbow (little being the key word here folks) and I can hit anything I aim it at (within it's, very short, range) and I didn't need to practice to be able to. But think about this for a minute. SHTF... for good and forever... the gal who knows how to make and accurately use quality bows and arrows will also be able to teach others these skills... and all three of those things make her a VERY valuable asset... that's the gal I want in my camp... hell I'll share my sleeping bag with her if she's cute!

The point is that if your boomstick breaks down or you run out of ammo and can't get or make more you're going to NEED some other way to protect and feed yourself and your family/friends/clan/what-have-you.

Hoping to find the time to learn one day,
Orianna

·
Registered
394 Posts
archery is expensive, cause of arrows, if there lost a good aluminum shafted arrow is about 6 bucks and heads butif you can really master the skill it can definitly be effective pickin people off with a gun is loud and easier to give the position away from others farther away a bow you can kill someone real stealthy, but you must practice, just one guys idea on it though

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
Wow. This thread got me reading up on long bows and self bows - types a person is more likely to be able to make out of "found" materials. In old England, a typical long bow had 150 to 200 lbs of draw weight! You know, sometimes I just don't think we're tough enough to survive without modern conveniences. Those were some tough dudes.

Reactions: AncientBrit

·
Making a Plan
10 Posts
i bow hunt

i bow hunt. as a sport it is a lot of fun. it is definately a more sporting way to kill an animal. this is coming from the wrong source but the store owner says you shouldn't reuse the broadheads because they dull (true) and you will have problems especially with the mechanical ones. as long as you think you can get plenty of broad heads and arrows and have a good way to sharpen them i think this is a good thing to keep in mind. and shouldn't have any problem here. to be honest though you are better off in a survival situation to have a rifle and an ammo reloader, plenty of gun powder and bullets. you can't beat the ease of killing with a gun and its range.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts