Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been prepping since about January. Ive accomplished my prep goals in regards to personal/home security, heat, light, water, electricity, BOB, S/T freeze dried and bulk canned food, etc.

Now moving to the L/T food storage part of prepping. Ive been thinking long and hard about bulk food storage, and was about ready to start buying 5 gallon buckets, mylar bags, O2 absorbers, the whole "nine yards" largely thats because thats what just about everyone else is doing.

Just today I heard the term "superbucket" and didnt know what it meant. I did some research on what they were, and found out the were as they NOT what I expected. They were 5/6 gallon buckets of bulk flour, beans, wheat, etc.

I thought, again, long and hard as to what "superbucket" meant and why there was a "expecatation gap" for me in terms of what it was versus what it sold as online.

I thought, a true "superbucket" would be a long-term food storage bucket, 5/6 gallons, Food Ready, that would store a VARIETY of long term dried and other L/T storage items that could be opened, essentially, one at a time as needed.

Consider the following 5/6 gallon "Maverick SuperBucket"
1 gallon of Flour, individually mylar sealed.
1 gallon of Dried Oats, individually mylar sealed.
1 gallon of Beans, individually mylar sealed.
1 gallon of pasta , individually mylar sealed.

A Large Honey Bear

Sealed Mylar Bag of small containers of Seasoned Salt, Regular Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Italian Seasoning Mix, Baking Powder, Baking Soda

Sealed mylar bag of 2-5 Dried Soup Mix

Sealed Mylar bag with Tea Bags, Coffee, and Gatorade Mix

Key points
*I havent made this kit, but, im envisioning that this all could probably fit in a 5/6 gallon bucket
*im thinking this could keep a family fed for 3/4 days with the right equipment
*I think this prevents complete loss of any one key asset of your L/T Food through rot, insect infestation, water damage, theft, etc.
*Im thinking of putting together 10 of these. My L/T SHTF plan includes being able to barter. I think these superbuckets may make nice bartering pieces.

Questions
*Think this is viable? Make sense?
*Would you add something? Decrease something? Increase something?

·
Survivalist & proud of it
219 Posts
Hmmm! Looks good. I kinda like what you have planned. Personally I would want to vary contents slightly from one bucket to another. For example, if I put pasta in the first one I might put rice in the second. Likewise if I had put pinto beans in the first I might put red beans in the second. Likewise I might very the herbs/seasoning pack accordingly. And of course label/date the outside of the bucket.
I think I will have to look back at what you have done in September. Although have great deal of canned goods etc I do not yet have anything like this. Hopefully I can start setting aside similar buckets in September.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly what I am doing with some of mine Mav, go for it.
Oh, and don't forget a gallon of rice.
Thanks - I think i read somewhere that rice had oils in it that would rot in 12 months....which is why I didnt include it....is that the case?

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Thanks - I think i read somewhere that rice had oils in it that would rot in 12 months....which is why I didnt include it....is that the case?
argh

No. Brown rice will go rancid. White rice does not have the oils in the hull that go rancid (not rot). White rice, properly sealed, will last a long time.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
That's brown rice. White rice lasts for a very long time.

You might search some of the food storage threads. These are all very commonly discussed and the answers are already out there.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ratios of food in a "super" bucket largely depend on your needs. Given the items you listed I would store more pasta and flour followed by oats and beans. I can supplement fresh protein pretty easily if needed. Additionally, I would go with kosher salt over iodized salt (you didn't specify what type of salt). I would also include black pepper, garlic powder, baking soda, and baking powder. I would add bullion cubes or granules. I would up the honey considerably (again, for my family) and would drop the dried soup. I would drop the coffee and up the powdered Gatorade-type drinks (actually, I would keep a combo of high sugar sports drinks and crystal lite - a favorite in my home - I can store 5 times the crystal lite in the same space as the gatorade drink mix). I would add some kind of dried fruit. A hot bowl of oatmeal with honey and some dried fruit passes as a meal in my home quite frequently.

Again, these are mods I would make for my family.

·
Station 44 - Ladder 751
400 Posts
Glad to know I'm not the only one that finds it frustrating.
lOl not the only one :headshake: I can understand to some extent the new new guys that don't necessarily know yet, but seems like it gets repeated so much its unbelieveable!!

Ya this topic gets talked about so much.. We were all just posting in the same exact discussion like last week??

Many of the members on here do the exact same thing.. I know i do, I have many buckets with 5-10 different items in them like u explained. But i also have buckets that only contain one food item. Gotta have variety for different types of situations. I plan on bugging in unless i absolutely have to bug out. So alot of my preps pertain to staying bugged in. The only threat i have really to where i would have to leave is an earthquake and my house was crumbling down. But besides that im staying put!

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
I would not do the flour if this is LONG term storage you are working on. Use whole grains - like wheat berries - not flour. Flour, once ground from wheat, won't last more than a couple of years. Instead, get the whole grains and a manual grinder - then package up the grains in smaller packs if you wish, knowing you will grind it fresh when you open the package.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Ive been prepping since about January. Ive accomplished my prep goals in regards to personal/home security, heat, light, water, electricity, BOB, S/T freeze dried and bulk canned food, etc.

Now moving to the L/T food storage part of prepping. Ive been thinking long and hard about bulk food storage, and was about ready to start buying 5 gallon buckets, mylar bags, O2 absorbers, the whole "nine yards" largely thats because thats what just about everyone else is doing.

Just today I heard the term "superbucket" and didnt know what it meant. I did some research on what they were, and found out the were as they NOT what I expected. They were 5/6 gallon buckets of bulk flour, beans, wheat, etc.

I thought, again, long and hard as to what "superbucket" meant and why there was a "expecatation gap" for me in terms of what it was versus what it sold as online.

I thought, a true "superbucket" would be a long-term food storage bucket, 5/6 gallons, Food Ready, that would store a VARIETY of long term dried and other L/T storage items that could be opened, essentially, one at a time as needed.

A Large Honey Bear

Sealed Mylar Bag of small containers of Seasoned Salt, Regular Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Italian Seasoning Mix, Baking Powder, Baking Soda

Key points
*I havent made this kit, but, im envisioning that this all could probably fit in a 5/6 gallon bucket
*I think this prevents complete loss of any one key asset of your L/T Food through rot, insect infestation, water damage, theft, etc.
*Im thinking of putting together 10 of these. My L/T SHTF plan includes being able to barter. I think these superbuckets may make nice bartering pieces.

Questions

makes alot of sense :thumb: thats why i do that.... great idea calling them superbuckets.

but i measure by the pounds 5lb of flour, 10 lb sugar,5lb cornmeal ...ect some stuff i would put in like everyother bucket or so like cornstarch, brown sugar...ect things that you really dont use alot of but you do need a little every now and then

before you do this sit down and make a list of 14 meals you want to have. make a list of all the ingediants that are needed to make those meals. now you have a list of everything you will need for 2 meals a day for 1 week now multiply that x52 and you will know what you will need for a years supply. get 12 buckets and put 1 months supplies in each bucket minus the canned goods of course you may need more than 12 buckets for a years supply it just depends on your menu and what cann goods you have got. but make that list 1st :thumb:

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
I am working on similar setup. I read a tip here awhile ago about reusing capri sun pouches for storage. They are made from mylar. Just cut top off below straw hole, rinse out and let dry real good. Then pack with whatever you like and seal.

I am planning small serving size portions of things like rice and beans. Would also be great for herbs and spices, or the drink powders in a pre-measured amount. They will fill in the voids in the superbucket left around the 1 gallon bags. Keep in mind, most things will need o2 absorbers still (I have seen as small as 50cc, may be smaller out there). But salt and sugar do not and you could make perfect barter size packs of anything.

I am planning on trying this soon. I have been buying cases from costco and saving the pouches. They are only $5 for 4 boxes(12 each) around here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Many of the Mormen churches have canning and long term storage containers that are less exspensive then other places. You do not have to be a member of the church to by. Just call the closest location and they will often show you how to do it and have food storage guides:)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
as others have mentioned, that is brow rice ONLY. all other rice will last FOREVER if properly stored.

As for the OP, unless you are planning to bug out at the first sign of trouble, then much of your food storage should be what you normally eat, most foods, properly stored have shelf life well past the expiration dates. Packing flour for long term isn't a great idea as regular flour doesn't have the longest shelf life. HOwever, it should be good for a few years.
good luck

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Prepping since January and you already have "all" of your heat, electricity.." needs taken care of! Wow that's awesome!

I'm at the 2 1/2 decade point, been producing our own power since 1999 and still ain't there yet! If you got that much bucks I'd just buy a couple pallets of pre packaged stuff and have "all" of that done also ;)

OK, seriously.

Yeah, packing multiple items in one bucket isn't anything new, sorry. First time I heard about it was on a survivalist shortwave radio show in 1998. Back then we used to have cut up mylars, make new seals, etc. cause you couldn't find 1 gallon size baggies.

The flour in your example will be the linchpin. I quit storing flour in the early 90's after having to throw out 500 or so lbs. of it total in the years of preparing before that. Store whole wheat instead-

*Better for you
*Cheaper in general
*More versatile- drop whole wheat in the ground and you'll get more wheat, drop white flour on the ground and you have a mess! Can do more with it.
*Stores longer

The only advantage I see of packing multiple items in one bucket is the hurried bug out. You could envision a "stressed" bugout and then getting to the BOL and having a tiff with those who helped you load out cause "we loaded all the rice but NONE of the beans." type of deal.

"But if I open a 5 gallon mylar the grains will all magically go bad in 4.7 seconds! So I HAVE to use 1 gallon bags!"

Nope. When you open a large mylar, the contents don't just go POOOFF!!! in a short period of time and disappear. Now, you have to use your brain here- hydroscopic items like dry milk, tomato powder, anything powdered for that matter- CAN and usually DO suck the moisture from the air. You don't want a 5 gallon bag of them open for a long period of time. Which is why it's better to buy milk and similar powdered products in #10 cans IME.

That being said, WHOLE GRAINS, LEGUMES, PASTAS, etc. will be fine for a couple years (keep the area bug free) in a 5 gallon mylar that's been opened.

This is yet another reason you DO NOT cut off the excess of the mylar bag that sticks out of your five gallon bucket. Oh sure it makes it look all neat and the analytical types LOVE THAT. However it makes the mylar harder to re-seal if you just want a little bit out of it and makes the mylar harder to RE USE later. Yes they can be re-used.

Just cut the very top corner, make enough room to get a measuring cup in, get what you need out and roll the cut part back over on to itself, then put the lid back on. If your forget about it for six months, it will be o.k. (see above).

Lowdown3

·
Registered
342 Posts

A Large Honey Bear

Key points

Questions
Been accumalating free buckets from the Meijer bakery here in Indy and this is how my brain thinks too, in regards in how to pack a bucket(specifically for grab and go scenerios) Its to keep track of what I have on hand and much easier for me to remember what I DO have in the house. Every bucket is marked with its contents and with a quick visual I can mentally add what I have on hand(ten buckets=10, 5 pd bags of flour, 10,5pd bags of sugar so on and so on)Breaking it down like this makes it much easier for me. I tend to NOT focus on the "BIG PICTURE" just for the fact its hard to digest and keep motivated, so breaking it down into jig saw like lil pieces(individual buckets) is much more doable and not so overwhelming and I get a lot more accomplished

1 - 20 of 28 Posts