Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your Survival library
One of the most important aspects of your preparedness is your knowledge. Books is a great resources for tips and knowledge and I suggest that start building your own with some mixed books in different subjects. Books may be expensive so I suggest that you that you look on second hand, you might find a lot of books on sale. And don’t forget that you can borrow books from your local library for free.

Suggestions for books
"The SAS Survival Handbook" by John Wiseman
"The SAS Self Defence Handbook" by John Wiseman
"The SAS Urban Survival Handbook" by John Wiseman
"Natural Disasters" by Patrick L Abbott
"New and Old Wars" by Mary Kaldor
"National Intelligence Systems" by Gregory F. Treverton & Wilhelm Agrell
"Tom Browns Field Guide: City and Suburban Survival" - Tom Brown
Tom Browns Guide to Wilderness Survival
"Shake hands with the Devil: The failure of humanity in Rwanda" by Romeo Dallaire
"Key readings in Crisis Management: Systems and structures for prevention and recovery" by Denis Smith and Domenic Elliot
"Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" by Jared Diamond
"Emergency" - Neil Strauss
"The Politics of Crisis Management: Public Leadership under Pressure" - Arjen Boin, Pault Hart, Eric Stern and Bengt Sundelius
"Wilderness First Responder: How to Recognize, Treat and Prevent Emergencies in the Backcountry" - Buck Tilton
"How to Survive the End of The World as We Know It" by James Wesley, Rawles
"The Art of War" by Sun Tzu
"On War" by Carl von Clausewitz

Fiction
"Patriots: A novel of survival the coming collapse" by James Wesley, Rawles
"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

Religious books
Books on Hunting, farming and Fishing

I also recommend that you get some notebooks and some pens. Start keeping a diary.

Maps may also be a good complement
City
Local
Road maps
Regional
Country
World
Sea charts

This is just my suggestion for a start, what books and other things would you recommend for a survival library?

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,591 Posts
Books are expensive which is one reason I believe I have not bought a new book in at least ten years. The books I have bought lately have been from garage sales and the used book store.

With the internet and quite a few free books and huge amounts of info such as on this survivalistboards, I also do not need to buy books. Here is the downloads section If any have not seen this excellent place to get more than enough to read > http://www.survivalistboards.com/downloads.php

This is one more place to get huge amounts of good info > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=45774

In 1985 I bought for $200 the 100 book Survival Library with many survivalist books covering defense, retreats, medicine, guns etc and general info. Some books I dare not name since they are not politically correct and might be thought of as dangerous. Such as about silencers, traps of all kinds etc. etc.... One of my favorite survivalist authors is Ragnar Benson - google him for some hard core survival... books.

·
Tales of a Scorched Earth
557 Posts
There are many kinds of ebooks that have good information. Many of the military manuals/emergency preparedness documents do not have copyrights. There are tons of download sites up there. :)

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
I have a lot of survival related books, and way way way more eBooks. :thumb:

Reactions: Westfalia

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can also use Google to find lots of great books. It helps if you know
the author although that's not a requirement. You can do it by subject.

Here's what I do. At the top of the Google search page you'll see some
links - click on "more" and you get a drop down menu. Choose "books". Then
enter a subject, author or book title where it says "Search Books". When the
results come back change "Showing: All books" to "full view only". Now anything
that comes up in the listings can be downloaded and saved.

Have you heard of Lindsay Technical Books? They sell reprints of incredible books
that are out of copyright. At very reasonable prices.

Steam engines, electricity, windmills, hydraulics, machine shop techniques, batteries,
casting, generators. Request a print catalog and look up some of the authors and
titles on Google. I found lots of killer info this way.

Have fun!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,126 Posts
I have built a pretty big library over the years. I have a lot of preparedness books like "Back to Basics". They're handy, but mostly cover a lot of what we talk about here. There are some that I recommend though. The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery and the Foxfire series are extremely useful.

I also suggest how-to books. Gardening, repair, construction, food preservation, alternative medicines, etc. Some alternative medicines books I can recommend are The Green Pharmacy, Herbs that Heal and Home Remedies from Country Doctors. A good chinese herbal is handy too.

Don't forget textbooks and books of pure information. Books of engineering formulas, chemistry and such might come in handy. Textbooks will be useful if this turns into a seriously long term affair. We need some way to educate our kids.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
+1 on the textbooks in addition to the usual suspects. I don't want my family to be limited to survival. They should be able to thrive. To do this, they'll have to be able to go beyond the basics when the time is right.

We have a lot of Dummies books and Politically Incorrect Guides. At first they were aids for CLEP study, always intended to be passed on to the kids, but now we're considering them as useful tools in their upcoming educations. Encyclopedia sets are also pretty inexpensive at the flea markets these days, due to overwhelming competition from the internet, but I'm not sure how much longer the Wild West days of cheap, easy, and unregulated online resources will last. We have backups for our first line beans, bandaids, and bullets; why not extend that to books, too?

I've always been fascinated by the rebuilding parts of big, bad events, like post-WW2 Europe and Asia. The logistics alone are staggering. How do you get and keep a national economy running again, much less jump-start your subsistence resources in the short term? I think that well-stocked personal libraries for education of the next generation will play a very large part in our success if need be.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Don´t forget an European classic: John Seymours "Complete Book of Self Suffiency"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Survival guides are foremost, but I believe that if you have space, you should save as much as possible concerning society and our achievements. If I could, I would create an underground archive to preserve tech, art, law etc.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,126 Posts
I always see the Encyclopedia Of Country Living by Emery ranked pretty high on these lists. I have not read my copy yet but it looks promising.
Once you start on it, you won't want to put it down. I literally wore my first copy out and had to buy another.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
The Tiger's Way by H. John Poole (The only combat book you need)
Concur. I read everything Poole puts out. In terms of personality, he's a whack job. But he is a hawk for small unit tactics, infiltration, and empowering the individual combatant. This will be the deciding factor between success and failure as US economic primacy slips.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
Non-fiction:
- Wealth of Nations
- On Guerrilla Warfare
- Unrestricted Warfare
- Phantom Soldier
- Patriot's Handbook (to preserve US founding documents)
- SAS Survival Handbook
- The Bible
- Crisis Preparedness Handbook
- Into the Primitive
- Surgical Speed Shooting
- Complete Book of Home Preserving
- The Survival Retreat
- Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass
- Deep Survival
- The One That Got Away
- Improvised Munitions Black Book

Fiction: