Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!

Your other outdoor pursuits?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most if not all of us do hiking, shooting, camping, fishing and hunting - activities closely associated with survivalism. But what about other outdoor pursuits? No I don't mean rugby, football or hockey etc but those pursuits, which can be done solo and get you into the countryside, in which survivalist practice, prepardness and knowledge can come in handy still. Any tales of one's prepardness coming in handy?

I got wondering about this today, all wrapped up and suffering with the flu as I am. On Saturday till sunday I drove up the largest mountain to here (30km off) and got immediately stuck into a black run despite not doing snowboarding for several years. It would have been fine were it not for snow on my board melting into ice on the ski-lift and blocking the mechanism in the board for the boots. There, in nil visability and a snowstorm, I came flying off with a big bump, as though I were actually on a surfboard. I could not for the life of me work the ice out with my gloved hands so the multi-tool came out and I attacked it with vigour. Nevertheless I was sitting still inside a large freezer for some time and it had its effect. Before setting off I applied two hand-warmers in my jacket pockets. I'd like to think things could have been more difficult and worse, without my backpack. Frankly, I am astonished to see people heading up mountains and out on kayak without a backpack of supplies. True that there are snowmobiles prepared to deploy at any time but in the conditions of this weekend someone could have been screaming in agony 10 meters away and I wouldn't have raised the alarm. Anyway I'm feeling miserable so let me know, what are your other outdoor pursuits and have I missed any?

PS. i also like horse-riding and kayaking, own one of the latter these days and can't wait for the ice to break and review it for you all.
PPS. I enjoyed scuba diving as a teenager but packed it in after my ears gave me grief.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hiking should be on the list as well.
Most if not all of us do hiking, shooting, camping, fishing and hunting - activities closely associated with survivalism. But what about other outdoor pursuits?
Target shooting. Ain't that one?
Most if not all of us do hiking, shooting, camping, fishing and hunting - activities closely associated with survivalism. But what about other outdoor pursuits?
(message too short)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts