Survivalist Forum banner

Your opinion of veterans' organizations?

1735 67
Veterans' organizations can be valuable allies during any SHTF. But how good are they? Can we rely on them?

I'm a retired US Army combat vet. I missed the military and looked to re-create it by joining local veterans' organizations: American Legion, AMVETS and VFW. Almost three years ago I joined two of them, immersed myself in them and was even elected to officer positions. All was good. I was working very hard and making great progress. They loved me!

Then I started looking into the financials. Not good. Money was being pissed away, misappropriated and even stolen! For example; officers were shamelessly funneling money to family members under the guise of "scholarships". When I started asking questions, they got nervous and destroyed all the paperwork.

I reported to higher but to no avail. Nobody cared. The whole organization was rotten; top to bottom. Seeing that I was involved in what was essentially a money laundering organization, I immediately resigned, never to return.

Please don't misunderstand me. There are some great veterans' organizations. No argument here. All I'm saying is that not all of them are good. Many are run by scum bags. Don't get fooled.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Super Moderator wearing a Cape
5,551 Posts
Veterans' organizations can be valuable allies during any SHTF. But how good are they? Can we rely on them?

I'm a retired US Army combat vet. I missed the military and looked to re-create it by joining local veterans' organizations: American Legion, AMVETS and VFW. Almost three years ago I joined two of them, immersed myself in them and was even elected to officer positions. All was good. I was working very hard and making great progress. They loved me!

Then I started looking into the financials. Not good. Money was being pissed away, misappropriated and even stolen! For example; officers were shamelessly funneling money to family members under the guise of "scholarships". When I started asking questions, they got nervous and destroyed all the paperwork.

I reported to higher but to no avail. Nobody cared. The whole organization was rotten; top to bottom. Seeing that I was involved in what was essentially a money laundering organization, I immediately resigned, never to return.

Please don't misunderstand me. There are some great veterans' organizations. No argument here. All I'm saying is that not all of them are good. Many are run by scum bags. Don't get fooled.
Had a very similar experience with the post I joined.
After becoming wise to it, I left and went to another post and have had a good experience.

Some are just drinking clubs as mentioned.

The only advantage I see with these organizations is the people in them speak the same language I do.
I can go have dinner or have a drink and the people at the table will understand the things I talk about and vice versa.

As for after SHTF, I would not count on the organization itself, but the members therein that you have become friends with may be helpful.

20,449 Posts
Corruption / mismanagement isn't just confined to Veteran's organizations. I belong to a few, get what I want or need from it, and then go on my own way.

There are many posts/chapters/lodges/aeries/clubs/political parties/associations/etc. which are honorable, and then there are posts/chapters/lodges/aeries/clubs/political parties/associations/etc. which are less than honorable. Enough people that make up the organization have to care enough to hold it's leadership accountable, otherwise nothing happens to change it.

Edward Everett Hale is quoted about making a difference. Take it for what it's worth.
I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.

· Registered
86 Posts
Years ago I joined the American Legion and found it to be little more than a place for members to day drink and it didn't take long for the junk mail to start filling my mailbox. Once the post commander or whatever the position is called discovered I rode a motorcycle he was after me to start a Legion Riders chapter. I wanted nothing to do with that mess and with him being relentless about it, I quit the Legion. Side benefit is the mail man doesn't hate me anymore.

· Registered
275 Posts
My one and only issue with non-profits are that a lot of the money raised goes to bloated administrative costs rather than for the purpose with which the money was raised. Of course, not all are like this and there are plenty doing good work, but it seems wrong to pay a CEO of a non profit a 6 or 7 figure salary when that money could go to helping those in need

· Registered
1,648 Posts
VietNow was shut down by our attorney general. Something like 88% was taken by the professional fund raisers they used...for something like 34 years.
I think their heart was in the right place , just fiscally irresponsible.
Not a vet not a member but know a couple of members over the years both were nondrinkers.

· Registered
661 Posts
AGREE with USMC124. Gave up all membership in all of them. Go in for a drink with the wife and some drunk starts his **** and trying to hit on her. Go for a Sunday brunch and 3/4 of them are all read **** faced. Then "IF YOU A"INT ARMY you a'int ****." AIRBORN ALL the WAY" "RECON" you get the drift. Not a good look. Don't need it Don't want it, walked away from it.

· Registered
661 Posts
Yes, that is a very big part of it. In many that is the only part of it. A bunch of Vets sitting around drinking and telling war stories.

And as you know, the older I get the better I was.
AND we all know the difference between a Fairy Tale and a war story. Fairy Tale starts ONCE APONE A TIME, war story starts, THIS A"INT NO BULL ****.

· KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
12,046 Posts

I’m not a ‘joiner’..A L Post approached me when I took my last position-terrific group of guys, I liked all of them…One guy, a ret CSM, past National Commander, post is well connected ..Growing up the VFW post was full of WW2 guys..my Dads people..they sponsored my Scout troop..Asset to the community most of them…not my gig..I won’t opine about any of them..Just not something I do..

· Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
67,955 Posts

Many great veterans out there, but I sometimes have to remind myself that the following RINOs and Dems were also vets:

George W Bush, Jr.
John Kerry
John McCain
Dan Crenshaw
Etc.

So clearly ... not all Vets are pro-American. Some are far more concerned with Ukraine or other special interests.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
I belong to the Legion but my membership is still with the post in my old town. Mainly because they directly support my old unit. I never heard of any impropriaties or corruption. My post is one of the larger ones and has been post of the year several times, so I assume there are accountants. I haven't been active in years though.

I don't attend the local Legion, though they have a very nice facility. Simple reason, I'm a non-smoker and I don't drink very much or eat burgers and hot dogs very much, and it's just a smokey hang out for old geezers and I refuse to let myself become one. ;) I still dig my beret out and attend the Veteran's Day and Memorial Day events though.

Would the members of the Legion stand by you in shtf? Yes, I think most will, to a point. YMMV

· Registered
1,116 Posts
About 5 years ago, when I was just over 40, I stopped by my local American Legion to ask about membership. They couldn't get through their thick heads that I actually was the Veteran. Instead they kept asking if my Dad was in the service, what branch, and wondering if I wanted to join as a "Sons of the Legion" member. After 5 minutes of mental gymnastics, it finally soaked in. I have not been back.

No wonder they have recruitment problems. It's like nothing past Vietnam hardly exists, let alone GWOT-era folks.

I would NOT count on that group for ANYTHING in an emergency situation, other than finding where the trucks loaded with cheap beer are hidden.

· Premium Member
9,185 Posts
I was a VFW member and tried out posts in numerous locations when we were travelling a lot. I met a few nice folks but the overall theme was people without a current sense of purpose trying to hold on to that time when they felt like they did. I have heard there has been a resurgence of new membership in the VFW so maybe things have changed.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts