Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Have both an m40 and just picked up a m50 mask. It's for whatever I need it to be used for there is a sealed mopp, suit in my trunk to go along with either of them

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
i have two and then i have some commercial masks for working with has mat stuff like paint and other harmful vapors

honestly tho im not worried about tear gas as I plan not to go into areas where that would be an issue

·
Locked & Loaded
555 Posts
I only have hasmat masks for asbestos and lead remediation. I figure if things get that bad I am screwed anyways...

I too will not be in any large crowds where tear gas and the like will be used.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I only have hasmat masks for asbestos and lead remediation. I figure if things get that bad I am screwed anyways...

I too will not be in any large crowds where tear gas and the like will be used.
my only worry would be if we had another dust bowl yellowstone going off
fires or or something like that mostly they get used when I am doing construction projects around the house like say removing insulation or anything with fine dust

·
Locked & Loaded
555 Posts
Our construction respirators will filter out the dust in that case assuming it isn't one of the cheap paper masks, but an actual respirator with filter canisters. :)

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Our construction respirators will filter out the dust in that case assuming it isn't one of the cheap paper masks, but an actual respirator with filter canisters. :)

Reactions: Grinnan Barrett

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I use the 3M masks. For particulate they work great and don't clog up as fast as the old military gas masks. I would be more concerned about dirty bomb materials than tear gas. Just a personal opinion. GB
I have one mask I got when in army from my chem guy as well as has full mop gear but a dirty anything a mask won't help unless its made of lead

·
Registered
978 Posts
The m50 is in the other room don't feel ike going to grab it.

But you should always have masks for the other people in the house also

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I picked up my first M40 yesterday at the flea market 35 bucks with carrier. It was pretty dirty and well used. I have a few canisters from deployments still in the original sealed canister as well as two full MOPP suits sealed. It was a Med but it will fit the wife fine, my issue one will work for me for now but I'm keeping an eye out for another cheap M40. I'm not sold on the idea of NBC attack but the fact is police use CS in riots, not that I would be in one, and not that CS will do a whole lot to me, but just in case of something else, can never be to prepared.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I use surgical masks and N95's at work. I have a number of them at home.

I have a few half-face respirators, two or three full-face and two PAPR's left over from my time doing consulting and the pharmaceutical industry (along with a box of assorted HEPA, coconut C, Cl, HF, organic vapor, and acid gas filters)

Recently I had an FM51 Respirator fall into my lap for a price that would make so jealous...
The whole kit. The mask, filters, bag, full set of colored lenses, hood, radio attachment..
I am not asking where it came from - I don't know & I don't wanna know :D:

Problem is the mask, all alone, is $700, the filters are $100 and if I have it on while my girlfriend is stuck with a crumpled up N95
she will shoot me evil looks all the way through zombie apocalypse :D:

(Realistically, these are completely worthless in any real events. Dust, soot, wind blown debris - those are the actual respiratory problems we face in a disaster)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought a few charcoal impregnated N-95 masks from the hardware store.

Before you say it, I know it's no good for direct chemical attack etc. But they fit in a really small space, glove box etc. They're made for "nuisance level' odors and for painting or spraying pesticides etc but actually work with non-direct bear repellant test sprayed nearby (though wear goggles.)

Haven't bought a full size mask yet. But plastic sheeting and duct tape...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anyone tried Household gas filtration?

My regular household allergy filter is a 20" box fan with a 20" furnace filter. It's cheap, NIOSH rated and filters waaaay faster than commercial bought ones.
I found a pair of 20" charcoal filters at home depot that I've played with and they're no military grade but inside a sealed house it quickly eliminated pain odors and fumes so should help.

I'm playing with making a better charcoal system using a 5 gallon bucket, lined with filter medium and filled with loose charcoal that could really filter high level gas. Maybe connected to dryer duct hose to filter outside air and positive pressure the house but we'll see...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts