Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was thinking today as the temperature soared to a high around 70+ in the dead of winter.

Would you prefer to be caught in a desert type environment where water would be a problem, or a tundra type environment where cold would be the problem.

Of course we would all like to be in less that eather of thiese extreames, but it was just a line of thinking I wanted to throw out there.

I'm personaly am not a fan of sweat so I'd lean towards the tundra untill I freeze to death, LOL.

More or less would you prefer it to be all around cooler or warmer during a long term survival situation? I see problems all around, what do you consider ideal and why?

Just to get those juices flowing. You don't have to take it to the extreame placed in the statement tundra/desert.

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
I'd prefer the tundra...being hot sucks.

Not that being cold doesnt but nature has provided us with the tools to create fire...

So when nature gets off its lazy a$$ and provides us with aircon...then I'll take the desert.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd prefer the tundra...being hot sucks.

Not that being cold doesnt but nature has provided us with the tools to create fire...

So when nature gets off its lazy a$$ and provides us with aircon...then I'll take the desert.
LOL, that's a good way to put what my feelings are on the subject, LOL.

·
Registered
679 Posts
We get the best of both worlds here, hot summers and subzero winters. Y'all are welcome to come on up and visit the subzero tundra anytime - just in case the grass seems greener. ;)

Tundra:

Hunting in abundance out here on the high plains, we even extended the season this year due to overpopulation of both mule and whitetail. Lots of pheasant, quail, wild turkey (till they freeze to death) and the Missouri River headwaters make for some fine fishing.

Natural refrigeration to keep your meat cold, fur to keep you alive for the several brutal months of winter.

You'd think fire would help keep you warm yes? But there's nothing to burn! I like trees. I miss them sorely.

Can't grow a perennial plant, and can only grow annuals with much determination, strife, and irrigation (save barley, hard wheat and crabapples). So outdoor gardening of the sustenance type is out. All livestock needs shelter, the majority will need heated shelter. They ship all the cows outta here in fall to corn-feed and fatten-up in Iowa.

Mosquitos in abundance, even here there is no refuge from the lil bastages. No ticks, fleas, arachnid-types (chiggers, scorpians) though, and no roaches.

I can say with much conviction, and after living in several regions of this country, that high plains tundra would be one of the most difficult survival areas in the states. Of course, this would imply a smaller population, and as is the case even today, less government interference for sheer lack of where-with-all to come out and pay you a visit.
:D:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'd rather be some where where we have seasons. The cold of the winter kills off many of the summer's diseases while in the summer we have enough heat to raise a good garden. Cold is only a bad thing if you make it that way. My son and I have camped out in -25 degree weather and didn't bat an eyelash to it. In the hottest part of the summer we get to go swimming. In the coldest part of the winter we get to go ice skating. I'm taking season. If I didn't like them, I'd move.

blt

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
desert - water is available
tundra -- too cold fer this reb

·
Registered
233 Posts
Desert. There is more wildlife and water than you would think. Also, I work outside in Florida. Hot as heck with 100% humidity. I am accustomed to it, so it would be easier for me to adjust to the desert environment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts