Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Adventurer
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Girsan Regard (92fs clone) as my full sized da/sa

I have a Sig P238 as my mini carry gun (which is only single action)

so I’m in the market for something DA/SA that is small to mid sized to carry for summer time weather.

IM usually budget minded but I’m willing to go as high as 700 bucks on this one.

Whatcha got?

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
CZ 75D Compact. DA/SA, decocker. 15+1 9 mm. The PCR aluminum alloy frame is 4 oz lighter. These would be my suggestion.

Slightly smaller, CZ82, 12+1 of 9X18 Makarov, DA/SA/decocker. I actually like this one better, but both CZ's just melt into my hands.

EAA Witness-P 10 mm. Like the CZ, but polymer, in 10 mm. Should have gotten metal.

Not hammer fired, but, DA/SA....Taurus PT 140 Millennium Pro, 12+1 in .40. More compact than the 9 mm CZ's, actually. And NOT part of the lawsuit about safeties.

Taurus 605, 5 rounds of 357 or 38, but it's more of a BUG to me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I carry my SIG P239 most of the time. I have a 2 round extension on the 7 shot mag so that gives me ten in the pistol. Plus, the extender adds a little grip area. For more formal occasions, I carry my satin nickel H&K Squeeze Cocker.

·
What would Mal do
4,779 Posts
only DA/SA here is an old duty Smith 4006..heavy boat anchor chunk of metal!

not a gun I'd want to carry daily as a conceal...fine in the day on a good holster system, and it actually still gets pulled for carry on the property when I'm more concerned about the yotes, than just snakes...there's a 38spl snubby with snake shot that is on my hip normally when I'm out and about, but the big 40...naw...not a carry gun, just don't want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not to answer your question, I do not like SA/DA actions for serious self defense.

I can manage them for sport and training, but give me a single trigger to manage during an emergency, either DA or SA, but not something I might have to decide about or work with under extreme stress.

Emergencies within 7 yards or so may have a slightly wide, high or low hit because of the urgency.

It's the more distant hit needs that will decide how long it takes to get off shot number one.

If it's SA, I know to get solidly on target before starting anything else.

If it's DA, I know to get on target with a death grip before trying to touch one off, and know it'll take a tad more time to get off the shot. Say, anywhere from a quarter to a half a second.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Favorite Hammer Fired DA/SA: CZ P-01 w/ decocker.

Aluminum alloy frame
15+1 round standard magazines (will also accept higher capacity CZ-75/SP-01 mags)
Picatinny MIL-STD-M1913 rail for all lights/lasers
Hammer fired w/ decocker. (CZ currently offers a steel framed P-01 version w/ safety in lieu of decocker.)
Barely larger than a G19 (by less than a quarter inch in L, W, H); same size in a practical carry sense.
5 ounces heavier than a G19 (when both are loaded). I prefer the extra weight for recoil management.

Assuming you know what you want (DA/SA hammer fired carry), this is one of the best available. Trigger gets noticeably smoother with break in. After market sights, triggers, etc. available from CZ Custom or Cajun Gunworks.

One noticeable "con" (for the entire CZ-75 metal framed family) is far fewer holster options when compared to Glock. Especially when it comes to light bearing or duty retention models. One place to shop for CZ holsters (pure CZ holster maker) is Shook's Customs LLC

I own an example of each of the above weapons. Both excellent. But my P-01 is the one I carry. Because it's the one I shoot more accurately, with a grip that fits my hand far better, and featuring the action type I prefer.

·
Adventurer
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PX4 compact. The rotating barrel makes it ridiculously soft shooting. I've got the full sized too.
I have been strongly considering this one..... I like the looks of it too. It just looks like it might not carry the best.... Is it comfy?

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,777 Posts
I never knew Glock made a double action/single action gun as the OP asked about.

For me my compact DA/SA auto is a Walther/Manhurin PP in 32acp. Sweet little gun that drops right in your pocket.
Lol ... That's what happens when you try to play around on your phone AND trying to look like you are listening to your old man! 😂

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Lol ... That's what happens when you try to play around on your phone AND trying to look like you are listening to your old man! 😂
Its all good. Matter of fact I looked up a Glock 32 just to make sure they hadn't released a DA/SA gun. Frankly I like having a hammer on an auto. I feel safer with that than a striker fired pistol unless it has a safety like the EC9s I haven't shot yet. I just gave my youngest son a S&W model 915 DA/SA 9mm with two extra factory mags and sort of wish I hadn't done that. But he called me up and told me how much he liked the gun and that made it OK. I do have a S&W model 39-2 which is the single stack version of the 915. What a sweet shooting gun that is.

I told my youngest son that when I croak he needs to get the Marlin Model 9 Camp Carbine I have because it uses the same mags as the 915 and I have several spare mags for it. He wants it now. If he comes up from Florida to visit I may send it home with him.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I like what Massad Ayoob wrote about the DA/SA guns that the FBI issued and their reasoning for chosing them. He said the DA feature made the gun much safer about having an AD. He said they figured if you needed the gun you could fire it DA and then you were in for the fight for your life and you had the easier to shoot SA pull to now use. I liked that reasoning.

I like this thread because it is telling me about some models of DA/SA guns I didn't know about. I'm always up for a new gun.

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
I have been strongly considering this one..... I like the looks of it too. It just looks like it might not carry the best.... Is it comfy?
The safety levers are a little sharp. You can change them out for decocker only ones that are low profile (and eliminate the safety if that is what you want, or you can replace them with 92 FS style safeties which are smaller and rounded.

Personally its not a big issue for me but some people could find the stock safety/decockers uncomfortable

One thing cool about the PX4 is that it was a candidate for the next military service pistol and was torture tested to 30,000+ plus rounds without a failure.

Some people also find the grip to be a little slick on the sides. I stippled my full size which I'm really happy with and put a talon grip sleeve on the compact.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Is the PX4 the same gun as the Beretta Storm? I had one of those and the points on the safety were so sharp it made it painful to rack the slide. I sold it mainly for that reason. That and the fact that it was so fat in the grip. And I don't have small hands. But it was an extremely well made gun.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Honorable mention for any number of 1st, 2nd, & 3rd generation DA/SA S&W semi-autos. Too many to mention, but I've a special fondness for my 39-2 single stack. Another example of which was the very first pistol I ever purchased, way back in the 70s.

Svelte, factory wood grips, classy blued finish, superior grip, and superb function. A gun from a more elegant time. I still carry it on occasion. This one (my photo):

They fit most hands like a glove and are a lightweight pleasure to carry.

Spare flush fitting OEM 39 magazines are sometimes hard to find (or pricey), but S&W magazines for a lot of subsequent single-stack models are still readily available, affordable, and fit (adding one more round to the original capacity of 8 rounds). Those more recent stainless steel mags give you 9-round capacity plus one in the chamber = 10 rounds for carry. The longer mag sticks out just a little bit from being flush with the 39-2's butt.

One caveat: Unlike a Beretta 92, they are not drop/impact safe for carry with the safety lever disengaged. In other words, a chambered 39 must be carried with safety applied. No biggie, but practice at the range must include manipulating that safety after the holster draw.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts