Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you have $150,000 to build your dream compound. It would have to meet the following criteria:

-Must take 5 years to complete
-Must be undetectable from the air
-Must have renewable power and food sources
-Must sustain 10 people for 10 years
-Must protect inhabitants from fallout and chemical threats
-Must be supplied with adequate gear IE: weapons, ammo, seeds etc

Can it be done? I look forward to reading everyone's ideas.

·
Premium Member
68,762 Posts
I have to second the issue about it being undetectible by air. Long term self sufficiency requires being able to raise your own crops and animals. That's the only way to have renewable food on the budget you listed.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,333 Posts
How about change that one to

Must look like any other farmstead from the air.

OK, I'll give it a try.

Buy a 20 acre farm with house and typical outbuildings. In many rural areas you can get that for under $100K. The house will be old and need some work.

Build your underground bunker under the barn. This will keep the work out of sight. Say $20K for a fully stocked concrete and concrete block bunker, if you build it yourself with rented backhoe and cement mixer.

Use the rest to get your farmstead going. Buy a small used tractor, goats, chickens, rabbits. Plant a garden with non-hybrid seeds.

Now live there, develop your gardening, farming, animal husbandry and food preservation skills sell livestock to upgrade the farm and your survival stores.

Actually now that I think about it.....That is pretty close to my actual plan.

Reactions: mking2012

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
So you have $150,000 to build your dream compound. It would have to meet the following criteria:

You are probably going to spend 150,000 just to buy enough land in the northwest with running surface water to support 10 people for 10 years (50-75 acres). So, no.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,333 Posts
You are probably going to spend 150,000 just to buy enough land in the northwest with running surface water to support 10 people for 10 years (50-75 acres). So, no.
Land with running water is expensive. Also that surface water can be contaminated in many ways.

Buy land without that river front and drill a well. The water will be much safer and more reliable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could you do some sort of solar powered hydroponics? Like the dope growers.
Solar panels are reflective and stick out worse than a garden. And when corn reaches 3-5k a lb it might be cost efficient lol

Just for giggles with 1.5 mil build a bunker in a mt side near a stream with living space and grow room space (need a lot) use hydroelectic and geothermal power to run it and all the HPS bulbs needed to grow hunt for protien. I left a lot of details out but that is the general idea for a completely hidden self sufficient bunker but the cost really out weigh the rewards... 10 people is a decent army to defend a fortified house and it would be cheaper. Build a steel and stone house and A LOT of ammo

·
Terrorist Terrorizer
31 Posts

First off, time isn't an issue if you have enough people to build it.
Only thing undetectable from the air is an underground structure built into a mountain, if its just underground, thermal will still see it as well as ground penetrating radar.
Renewable power isn't an issue except that it would have to be outside, unless theres an underground river or if you have a small nuclear reactor.
10 people for 10 years would mean this place would have to be huge just to store the food or the hydroponic garden that you would need.
Fallout & chemical threats wouldn't be an issue.
Gear isn't an issue.

All of those guidelines can be met except the cost. I have no idea how much a mountain complex like that would cost to make, but I would have to say it'd be in the millions.

·
BUY AMERICAN
185 Posts
Need more then $150K...that would probably buy the land and build a basic "semi underground" structure.....then you've got all the extra's to make the structure functional, lighting, air filters, water, airlock entrance, food for ten folks, power and fuel for ten years, need about another $2-$3Mil.....just to finish it...H

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some clarification

Just to clarify:

The entire complex doesn't have to be underground: Just storage and living space (I should have stated this earlier) Farm can be above ground. Power would optimally come from homemade turbine mounted on river/ creek.

While land near water is more pricey, its not absurdly expensive:

http://www.landwatch.com/Bracken-County-Kentucky-Land-for-sale/pid/144007108

Interesting ideas so far, keep them up guys!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Land with running water is expensive. Also that surface water can be contaminated in many ways.

Buy land without that river front and drill a well. The water will be much safer and more reliable.
While this is true, you can't fish in a well, nor can you use a well to run micro hydro. A substantial river also serves as a barrier to access for people and vehicles.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
To even come close to budget you would have to buy used equipment and do your own excavating and build out. You would have to use culvert. You could sell the equipment and then turn that cash into preps. You can do it but it'll be very spartan and hillbilly. You would have to constantly look for bargains and not be tied to a tight schedule.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.