Survivalist Forum banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
21,185 Posts
And let's be honest here. Most people beating people over the head with combat experience have had a billion dollar military supporting them.

It is going to be a bit different when it is just you.
Tell us how you diggers in your Royal Australian Regiment do it.
The same way everyone else does it. With as much support as they can get.

For example I asked a special forces guy how you clear a house on your own Because I was basically doing that responding to break ins.

He laughed and said you don't do it on your own.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
How many wannabe points to you call that? A BUNCH
LOL. I call that having a bit of fun and relieving some stress. :thumb:

I also call it a good way to win more than a few bucks off the boys who were "experts" in the military. At least in their minds. And that was putting my money on my 10 year old kids doing the shooting at the time. :D:

What always amazes me about things like that pic is, you hear all sorts of flack from people about it, yet, if you hand most people bitching about this or that the gun, and ask them to show you how its done, most of the rounds arent even anywhere on that target, let alone the pic of the guy on it.

That target is solely about showing that the gun can easily be controlled on FA, running a full mag to empty, with just one pull on the trigger. If I had a nickel for every time one of the "experts" told me its not possible to shoot the gun like that and be accurate with it, Id be living next to Bill Gates. :)

A lot of guns can do a lot of different things, or are set up with certain things in mind, and a lot of people might have the gun, and dont have a clue as to what it can do or why it might have what it has.

Just look at the Springfield 03's. They have a stripper guide to feed the gun, and a cut off on the left side of the gun, that locks out the mag. Id be willing to bet, if you went into a random gun shop, most couldnt tell you what that guide was or why the cut off lever was there or what it was for.

If you really want to get right down to scary, hand someone an open bolt SMG and a loaded mag, and watch what happens. :D:

As with pretty much anything, this is about experience and knowledge, so you know what you can and cant do with the item in your hands at the moment.

Just because you may be lacking, doesnt mean someone else is.

As I was saying with the race bike thing awhile back, that powerband thing is a lot like shooting a MG. When you come into that powerband, you'd best be holding on and know whats going on, or youre going to be in for a shock.

Then again, how many who shoot, actually learned to shoot FA and be comfortable with it, and how many who ride, ever get up to 150, and are comfortable hanging there?

Oh, and there really is a correlation in that analogy too. At 150, the expansion joints in the highway, sound just like a mini gun going off. :D:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I couldn't get the video to load on here and, to be frank, I don't care to watch it. I know I'm new here, but I've been around prepping and firearms a lot in my life. Because of this, I feel the AR topic revolves primarily around central theme.

The most common theme I see play out with SHTF preppers and bug out "experts" is the ideology of getting into massive firefights with practically the whole world. This is a flawed and potentially deadly issue. That's what most people talk about even if the topic started with food preparation. Of course, the default reason is defense, but I find that to be misleading and possibly an outright lie.

After experience being around these people, I'm convinced over 80% of "preppers" are really looters in disguise.

I've also encountered some very strange "tactics." As a Marine Rifleman myself, the answer is a hard NO!!! It seems mostly derived from field manuals rather than real life, but what do I know?

First off, some of you may think you will, but you're not clearing rooms. Not if you want to live. I've witnessed preppers practice this for real. It was comical. A literal local prepper convention... Clearing tap houses. It was dumb.

Second, most of the preppers I've witnessed in person and via YouTube are, to put bluntly, fat. Most of this community is fat. Most of this United States is fat. You aren't going to do anything. End. Of. Story. Because you're a turd.

Third, if you're not a fat turd, but still get into battle, it appears in the community that ammo is of endless supply. 5.56 apparently grows on a tree and most of those trees seem to be in the Southeast.

Due to writing space, I'll stop at that, but I could continue for a long time about this. The "community" is absurd when it comes to their firearms, their practical uses, and the reasons of why they use them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
River:

Your not wrong, but I know a fat guy who goes to several shooting classes a year and hunts. No military service, but the man is GOOD. He could sweep the floor with 90% of active military/cops.
Watch out for the fat ****s.
I'm not diving into shooting capabilities. I'm sure there are plenty of great shooters out there and they come in all shapes and sizes.

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,695 Posts
I fail to see the point in discussing full auto verses semi-auto fire since by definition the AR15 is a semi-automatic rifle incapable of automatic file.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,395 Posts
My point being people should use their own criteria not that of the dod. Btw the .308 is a full power cartridge not an intermediate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_cartridge
I concur all around. Would like to point out that when I said "intermediate" I spoke sloppily. I wasn't identifying .308 as an intermediate cartridge. I was saying adopting .308 was an intermediate position between adopting 5.56 and adopting 6.8 or something else "bigger" than 5.56. Not necessarily in performance, but in terms of something that's been around, readily available, and something that's "bigger" than 5.56.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts
I concur all around. Would like to point out that when I said "intermediate" I spoke sloppily. I wasn't identifying .308 as an intermediate cartridge. I was saying adopting .308 was an intermediate position between adopting 5.56 and adopting 6.8 or something else "bigger" than 5.56. Not necessarily in performance, but in terms of something that's been around, readily available, and something that's "bigger" than 5.56.
A 55gr chunk of copper jacketed lead, traveling at 3000fps, will tear off an arm, possibly a leg, and is CERTAINLY lethal. NOT a point to be argued.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
A 55gr chunk of copper jacketed lead, traveling at 3000fps, will tear off an arm, possibly a leg, and is CERTAINLY lethal. NOT a point to be argued.
From a carbine length barrel (common configuration) one never gets that kind of velocity, 2600-2800 fps. is more likely, which is still enough to do considerable damage to the human anatomy. With all the hair splitting over power, the lethality of the least potent caliber (5.56/.223) often gets overlooked. It has more than enough power and then some.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts
From a carbine length barrel (common configuration) one never gets that kind of velocity, 2600-2800 fps. is more likely, which is still enough to do considerable damage to the human anatomy. With all the hair splitting over power, the lethality of the least potent caliber (5.56/.223) often gets overlooked. It has more than enough power and then some.
Mine has a 20" barrel, but I get your point. Even at those speeds, they'll amputate an arm.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,348 Posts
Dunno how many points I got cause I wasn't keeping track but I know I got a few.

Whole video was about 5.56 and not about the AR-15 really. I bet the guy has a Mini-14, too.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Was that video made by Jammaster J? He sounded like an ignorant moron too.
Lectured by a soldier wannabe about possibly being a soldier wannabe.....

When did the mall ninjas take over? Have they outgrown airsoft?

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
Actually, from the common 16" carbine barrel, using 55 grain 5.56 pressure ammo, 2900-3000+ is pretty achievable. Going to shorter barrels like the 10.5", ammo selection becomes more important, but there are a number of bullets that will perform quite well down to 2200 fps +/-.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Actually, from the common 16" carbine barrel, using 55 grain 5.56 pressure ammo, 2900-3000+ is pretty achievable. Going to shorter barrels like the 10.5", ammo selection becomes more important, but there are a number of bullets that will perform quite well down to 2200 fps +/-.

The last batch of M193 from IMI that I chronographed averaged 3033.7 fps, a minimum of 3000 and maximum of 3069, for a range of 69, and a median of 3034, with quartiles of Q1 3019, Q2 3034, and Q3 3049, with an IQR of 30, from a 16.1" barreled carbine. 2020 Headstamp. Accuracy for 3 groups of 10 rounds each, averaged 2.657" CTC at 100 yards from a Colt 6724 with a 10x Leupold, fired off of a bipod while seated at a bench.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts