Survivalist Forum banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,201 Posts
Civilians get to buy hollow points in a variety of weights. The military less so.
In 11 years of active duty military, 6 years in a city patrol car, and 20 years in prison work I never saw a hollow point.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
You chose the right ammo for the task. It would also be the right for some other tasks, as bipedal scum will have thinner skin (and arguably poorer survival instincts) than those hogs. I only regret that I didn't buy more of the 75gr Gold Dot when it was on sale for under $.50/round a few years ago.

PSA had a sale a few years ago and I got 3k

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,395 Posts
His “rant” was against the m16/m4 series select fire firearms the military uses. 99.9% of us mere civilians use semi auto ar’s.

The major’s paper offers several alternatives including a larger caliber select fire firearm mebbe’ in the 6.8 range. Somebody in the dod seems to think so too because they want something to penetrate the body armor of our near peers; Russians and Chinese which the 5.56 won’t.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...-bullet-can-pierce-any-kind-body-armor-130367
Thank you.

I have been following the US military's lethargic push to adopt a larger, more penetrative caliber. This is all well and good since the military will necessarily be able to acquire large amounts of ammunition in whatever caliber they adopt.

For civilians, if my recollection is correct, he doesn't appear to account for the ease and cost of acquiring ammunition. So a civilian has different constraints and opportunities. A 6.8 Creedmore might be less attractive that a 5.56 for a civilian because he can actually acquire 5.56 even if the SHTF and it won't bankrupt him in the meantime. (A civilian can't just print money like the US govt can--and does.) Not to mention that not all of his enemies will have body armor like might be the case with a military or police force.

As some have pointed out, there are intermediate options such as .308. I just think that civilians don't and won't necessarily be operating in the same context as the US military in terms of logistics and enemy equipment.

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
PSA had a sale a few years ago and I got 3k
Well played.

I only had one AR with a 1:7 twist barrel, and wasn't confident that the others would stabilize it, so I only bought a small amount in 75gr, and decided to go with 64gr as my one-size-fits-all solution. Still nowhere near you in terms of quantity, but I did supplement the Gold Dot with Fusion and Armscor bonded SPs (both 62gr) and non-bonded Winchester and Federal 64gr SPs.

Since most folks seem drawn to the absolute cheapest ammo money can buy, I still hold out some hope of more 75gr Gold Dots someday.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Thank you.

I have been following the US military's lethargic push to adopt a larger, more penetrative caliber. This is all well and good since the military will necessarily be able to acquire large amounts of ammunition in whatever caliber they adopt.

For civilians, if my recollection is correct, he doesn't appear to account for the ease and cost of acquiring ammunition. So a civilian has different constraints and opportunities. A 6.8 Creedmore might be less attractive that a 5.56 for a civilian because he can actually acquire 5.56 even if the SHTF and it won't bankrupt him in the meantime. (A civilian can't just print money like the US govt can--and does.) Not to mention that not all of his enemies will have body armor like might be the case with a military or police force.

As some have pointed out, there are intermediate options such as .308. I just think that civilians don't and won't necessarily be operating in the same context as the US military in terms of logistics and enemy equipment.
My point being people should use their own criteria not that of the dod. Btw the .308 is a full power cartridge not an intermediate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_cartridge

Full-powered
A full-powered cartridge is a military battle rifle cartridge with a minimum effective range of 1,000 metres (3,300 ft). Most full-powered cartridges have their origin in the turn of the 19th century with the advent of smokeless powder. Examples include 7.62×51mm NATO, .30-06 Springfield, 7.62×54mmR, .303 British, 7.92×57mm Mauser, 7×57mm Mauser or 8mm Lebel. Today they are primarily used only in medium machine guns and marksman/sniper rifles.

.........Intermediate
Main article: Intermediate cartridge
An intermediate cartridge is a military assault rifle cartridge that is less powerful than typical full-power cartridges such as the 7.92mm Mauser, .30-06 or 7.62×51mm NATO, but still significantly more powerful than handgun cartridges used in service pistols and submachine guns.[1] As their recoil is significantly reduced compared to full-power cartridges, fully automatic rifles firing intermediate cartridges are relatively easy to control. This reduced recoil impulse also allows for rapid, accurate follow-up shots with semi-automatic rifles or rifles with a semi-automatic fire mode.[2] However, even though less powerful than traditional full-power cartridges, the external and terminal ballistics of an intermediate cartridge are still sufficient for an effective range of 300–600 metres (980–1,970 ft), which are the typical maximum engagement ranges for ordinary infantrymen in combat.

The introduction of intermediate cartridges allowed for the development of the assault rifle concept, which is a magazine-fed, selective fire weapon lighter and more compact than battle rifles firing full-power cartridges. The first intermediate cartridge was the German 7.92×33mm Kurz for the StG 44[1], the world's first assault rifle. Other examples include the Soviet 7.62×39mm used in the AK-47 and AKM series, the .280 British round developed for the EM-2, and the 5.56×45mm NATO for the AR-15/M16/M4 series rifles.....

·
Registered
21,679 Posts
Income tax has been around longer.

Does that make it good?
pretty effective at separating people from their money though, isn't it? good? no, but effective

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
In 11 years of active duty military, 6 years in a city patrol car, and 20 years in prison work I never saw a hollow point.
You just don't quite get the point do you? I said had jobs that issued the AR/M16 for 37ish years. Never was I issued anything but full metal jacket ammo for them in all that time. I did not say it didn't exist.
In point of fact you stated “you never saw one.”

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Well played.

I only had one AR with a 1:7 twist barrel, and wasn't confident that the others would stabilize it, so I only bought a small amount in 75gr, and decided to go with 64gr as my one-size-fits-all solution. Still nowhere near you in terms of quantity, but I did supplement the Gold Dot with Fusion and Armscor bonded SPs (both 62gr) and non-bonded Winchester and Federal 64gr SPs.

Since most folks seem drawn to the absolute cheapest ammo money can buy, I still hold out some hope of more 75gr Gold Dots someday.

I actually bought that much because my hunting partner and I were being asked to kill more and more hogs in the Central Texas area. I was in a transition to go back to school for my masters and thought I would have more time to hunt. Boy was I wrong! We still go out and setup our lights and feeders when asked to and have a blast taking out a few sounders but it is nowhere near as often as I like.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
There is a famous saying that covers this "Just because you've never seen one doesn't mean it doesn't exist."

But either you are "hearing" what you want to hear or are simply being argumentative.
Feel free to doubt my motives but I can’t see where that gets either of us.

Why don’t you call me out when you think I’m wrong about something.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Video has to be some kind of sarcasm, parody. There were so many points left out it was silly.

For example, when my daughter was growing up, let's just say 12 - 14 years old, she much preferred the AR over the lever action 30-30, and certainly over the AK-47. She shot my bolt action 280 Remington one time and that was enough. The FN/FAL was a little too heavy for her.

Same with my buddies daughter. She shot a PTR-91, FN/FAL, AR-15 and I think an AK-47. She preferred the AR-15 over everything else.

The narrator assumes people live in deserts and trees / obstructions do not exist.

Here at the farm there are 4 weapons I keep loaded and ready:

9mm handgun - Glock, Beretta, Springfield
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg pump 12 gauge
AR-15

You can take a young person, say 11, 12, 13 years old, teach them on a Ruger 10/22, then move them up to an AR.

·
Banned
1,672 Posts
The flattop with detachable carry handle. Took it to a range yesterday, iron sights had 3 shots inside inch and a quarter at 50 yards, two almost touching. That 20" A2 DOES shoot sweet off the bags. Would have taken it to 100 but ran out of time till they closed.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much time and training in shooting FA did you actually get in the service?

Most of the people I know who came through both USMC and USA, had very little, if any, especially back during the VN era. Not much after that either.

Is your "curse" one from our enemies? :)
Active duty Army Inf Bn in the Reagan days. M16A1 then transition M16A2 (3rd burst) around 1987. Annual 5.56 allocation per 11 Series was 100rd PER YEAR for "training" this being marksmanship (PMI) followed by zero and qual range - NO auto fire. Then some blanks for MILES (force on force). A couple times a year another 60rd per 11series for a squad/platoon live fire exercise (fire/maneuver). NO auto or burst fire used unless (rarely) if the SAW/M60 was missing/down might designate an automatic rifleman. Auto fire from M16 being the mark of an untrained amateur.

So a total of 200rd per YEAR for an INFANTRYMAN. Was sad. Limitless $ but none for the grunt.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
This was the last target I shot with my M11/9mm MAC before I sold it. There are two, 25 round mag dumps there. Two pulls of the trigger, about 3 seconds in total time. The distance was 10 yards.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/se...1/media/62908024842/medium/1310248433/enhance

Ive done the same thing with an M16, and a number of other things too, over and over, so I know the technique works, and works well.

One of our little betting/beer "games", when we used to get together to shoot, was a standard paper plate at 10 yards, full mag, one pull on the trigger. All or most rounds on the plate wins, and more often than not, it was a number of rounds shoot off.

Im in no way saying this is how the guns are meant to be shot, it simply shows that they can be shot that way, AND accurately if you take a little time to learn to do it.

I constantly hear it cant be done, by people supposedly in the know, yet my kids had no trouble doing it, and they were 7-8 years old when they started doing it.

Spray and pray is a function of the shooter, not the gun. If you S&P, thats on you, dont blame the gun. Learn to shoot the gun properly, and understand when to use it, and youll have an effective combo.
How many wannabe points to you call that? A BUNCH

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
We trained with the M4A1's and the only times we used full-auto were for breaking contract drills and even then, it was limited to usually being in or on the "x". Yes, some of the actual operators used it sparingly in the shoot-house, but I would say 90% of the rifle training I was involved in or observed as semi-auto, accurate, often fast follow up engagements. Trigger control is easy to learn, but even a 30 round mag empties quickly if you're not disciplined.

ROCK6
Good point - that was a drill where might use FA/burst (walk thru or with blanks as insufficient available CL5). Also designated riflemen in "execute an ambush".

121 - 140 of 168 Posts