Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
I'm a regular viewer of Kyle Gotts channels and today Makenna (his wife) and he undertook the dreaded MRE. She had never used them before at all. It's pretty interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJvsmSnan00
Dreaded? How can you dread some of the safest and most boring food in the world?

You may dread the bathroom after eating them a week.

You may dread life in general after eating them a week and living dirty in the boonies.

But there is nothing to dread from a MRE. Think of it as steam table food from the assembly line company cafeteria, right after it passes health inspection.

As for the "novelty" of eating one, after being made for the last 30 years they have about as much novelty as a saltine cracker. Certainly not worthy of a youtube vid. Tempest in a teapot for the uninitiated is all we are talking about here. Like the novelty of a shower after being raised using a bathtub. It's just boring safe food in a plastic pouch.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Most people on the planet have never actually eaten one. Nor have they ever had a minute's instruction on them. I've seen folks eat an unnecessarily cold meal because they didn't understand how to use an MRE heater. Or not understand all the menu concoctions possible from mixing/trading contents. Or understand the value of Tabasco sauce. I've also noticed that when folks are actually hungry, they are thankful to have MREs.

A bit of practical knowledge is a good thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read A Distant Eden, a novel by an expert in survival. Had to wonder about his credentials though when he has soldiers starting a fire to heat up their MREs (!?)
Puttster MRE heaters don't work as well in the cold as they do warm climates. I'm an active duty Marine, and I've spent about 3 months total out in the field in the last 9 months eating MREs (and whatever else I could pack out prior). In warm weather the heaters will get wicked hot, but in cold wx sometimes they just don't work well at all. That's why he made that comment. Older MRE heaters were worse. The new menues are pretty good too for anyone who doesn't eat them monthly.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
I read A Distant Eden, a novel by an expert in survival. Had to wonder about his credentials though when he has soldiers starting a fire to heat up their MREs (!?)
Soldiers carry cookpots even today. Heating coffee water, cheap noodle packets for a fast hot snack, and in case you want to heat your MRE in a pan.

As long as men go to war and want coffee they will carry something to cook in.

·
Golfer
4,964 Posts
Puttster MRE heaters don't work as well in the cold as they do warm climates. I'm an active duty Marine, and I've spent about 3 months total out in the field in the last 9 months eating MREs (and whatever else I could pack out prior). In warm weather the heaters will get wicked hot, but in cold wx sometimes they just don't work well at all. That's why he made that comment. Older MRE heaters were worse. The new menues are pretty good too for anyone who doesn't eat them monthly.
Interesting, thx. MCRD SD or PI?

·
Old Fart
533 Posts
I use a combination of regular MRE's and LRP's when I go backpacking and I always heat stuff up using a canteen cup/stove/lid set up, especially with the LRP meals. I find that I eat only half of the entrée packet so heating it up in the canteen cup means I can keep the other half in its dehydrated state in the foil package for later. I usually open up all the meals and separate them based on what they are in zip lock bags with the air sucked out to save space in my pack.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I was always pretty "not-picky" when it came to C-rations, MCIs, and MREs. It was food, I was hungry, and I rarely disliked anything. Beef w/ spiced sauce being about the only notable exception. Even that was doable when heated and drowned in hot sauce.

My favorite canned C-ration/MCI entree was chopped ham and eggs, almost universally reviled. People would give away that item and not even expect a trade. I loved it. I'd eat that stuff cold, especially during hot weather. Same with most MRE entees. I found them to be pretty good, even when I had to eat them for long periods of time.

I could have lived forever on dry pork or beef patties from the early MREs. Naturally, they dropped those items because they were my favorites.

To this day, I like MREs for the pre-packaged utility and convenience. They have enough flavor, varieties, and items to make for a decent meal... and the calculated calories and nutrition to keep you going. There's no guessing involved. Multi-million dollar food labs have already figured that out for you. 2 per day keep you functionally in the game for most scenarios involving moderate work/hiking. Increase to 3 per day when it's winter time or you are really busting your hump.

It was never designed as ultralight through hiking food, but the menu selections are, by and large, designed to appeal to most palates. Especially when you are actually, truly hungry.

I was an Infantryman. I learned to sleep anywhere, on demand. Eat whatever was available. And to cherish overhead cover, free vehicle rides, and dry feet.

Military combat rations are OK in my book.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Soldiers carry cookpots even today. Heating coffee water, cheap noodle packets for a fast hot snack, and in case you want to heat your MRE in a pan.

As long as men go to war and want coffee they will carry something to cook in.

Me, A long time ago in a galaxy far , far away.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Me, A long time ago in a galaxy far , far away.
Looks like the front deck of an M1 Abrams. I never ate a cold MRE while in Armor/Cavalry. The slanted area above the back exhaust grill has been known to explode MRE food packs when crewmember forget their MREs were heating up.

And our Infantry guys like warming up behind the exhaust grill after Stand-To. :thumb:

·
Semper Vigilans
5,057 Posts
Interesting video, don't know this Kyle Gott but was surprised he didn't seem to have much experience with what to do with the MRE's?

My notables from watching the video;

1. Did the Military stop the use of Caffeine and Cigarettes during BMT?
Dear God the thought of missing out on coffee for 6 weeks!

2. Never thought of it before but what do guys do about drinks like coffee and soups now that they no longer have their Aluminum Canteen cups?
We used ours for everything.

3. The variety of different meals is pretty incredible compared to the 5 or 6? we had to choose from.

In the mid 80's they began issuing the MRE's for the first time so we felt like we were the Guinea Pigs for the Army to see if MRE's would actually kill anyone. We found that was only the case when eaten for too long a period without enough water. Those things could really stop you up.

Like Astronomy, I was one of the few that actually liked the Pork and Beef patties. If prepared right they tasted just like a plain burger.

And as already stated guys figured out PDQ to carry a bottle of hot sauce, usually tobasco, everywhere we went.

If you have vehicles handy, hot manifolds do wonders for having hot food ready when you stop to eat. For grunts, sucks to be you.

Even when they were brand new it didn't take long for GI's to get pretty creative in preparing MRE's.

I give credit to the resiliency of US Military.
If you let GI's sit in one spot for more than a couple of hours, guys would begin to make themselves at home anywhere.

Guys would be stringing up hammocks, making chairs out of whatever and anything else they could think of to get comfortable in their new environment.

I have a few cases of MRE's but I don't buy them anymore.
Once I learned they don't have a great shelf life I began buying other items, mostly MH freeze dried, which I prefer in taste and weight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.