Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Home for thanksgiving, and good god, does it feel good to be able to type on a keyboard instead of a cellphone)

Increasingly, as things look more and more desperate, my friends are making comments about arriving at my place if the balloon goes up. These are not chumps, these are life long friends who have valuable skills, tools and good heads on their shoulders.

The night before last, one of my oldest friends said the same thing, "Man, if the s*** goes down, I'm heading to your place."

I've known this kid since I was 8, but we only see each other when we return to the old neighborhood at holidays, so he wasn't quite aware of my positions on certain things. Calmly, I said, "Man, you come up without food, I'll F***ING shoot you myself."

His eyes got as big as saucers. I continued.

"I have enough food to put myself and my wife through a month. My friends who plan on coming out if things get bad? They all have food too, the least prepared of our crew has two months, the most has a year. You want to try and make it to my place, you start putting food aside now, put it in boxes, and load it up BEFORE you start packing tools, if you come up hungry, I'm giving you some snare wire and a free pass back to the end of the county road."

What followed was a two hour conversation as I explained what was needed to live without society. Occasionally, he would drop into MMM (Mad Max Mode) and talk about stocking up on guns. I checked him, and explained that beyond a single appropriate firearm, you're wasting your time if you buy guns and not food.

By the end of our drinking session, he had a whole new perspective, and I even felt he might be a possible addition to the gathering that will occur if people need out. To be fair though, he still doesn't have my address, nor will he get it before the next holiday season when I can see how much he has stocked.

As I live in the middle of nowhere, with hundreds of thousands of acres of forest behind me, it is not uncommon for friends to make remarks like "Man, if the zombie apocalypse ever happens, I'm coming to your place." I have found that setting criteria for arrival actually seems to work in situations where it is good people with good intentions making the comments. . .

In another situation, a newer friend; who I really like and who I think has almost no chance of surviving alone, went out and immediately bought a two month supply of dried and canned foods. A few weeks after our initial talk, we were hanging out in his living room when his fiance jumped up and said, "come look, come look!" and took us into the spare bedroom. She pulled open the closet and there was the start of a very decent food store. They proudly showed off cans of chicken and bags of beans, grilling me on ideas of what else to stock up on.

As a caveat emptor, a co-worker once made the same remark. This is the acquaintance who seems to work hard to try my nerves. I turned to him and simply said, "No way in hell man, I'd rather die than survive with you." ;)

So, I know alot of you work on the notion of secrecy. For me it is impossible, as many of my friends routinely come to my place for BBQs, to help with projects, etc. None of them know that I am prepped for whatever, they simply know that I am isolated, and to the uninformed who still think that if society falls apart they can hunt deer and eat pine needles, that is enough. For the people who I would like to have around post-event; those with good hearts and soul and strong minds and bodies, I feel that it is better to tell them, straight-out, what you would expect. There is always a chance they will show up anyways, and often, the good ones.... they listen.

-G
(I really really miss being able to post on a real computer!)

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
It's unreal how many people tell me the same thing on a daily basis...
"It the SHTF I'm goin' to your house"

My reply is always the same, If it goes down... and you know where I am... Go the other way!

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
A lot of good points, however, if I showed up somewhere without food, I have the skills to help any group willing to take me in(not saying I would be without food).

-I was an army medic, and have combat experience.

-I know how to start fires, ect.

-I am very good at improvising and fixing things.

If someone came to me with all these skills and they were willing to pull their weight, I might make an exception to the rule.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Realistically this is (one of the reasons) why you need to plan and prepare for more than the stock answer "1 year of food."

You ARE going to have folks show up at your door- friends and family members that will be there empty handed.

Not being a jerk, but it's easy to say "I'll whack them out" but when you really think it through, it's not your best solution.

That being said, it IS good that you told them to prepare, however for the ones that won't, you just told them that your there enemy when the time comes. Kinda goes back to the "keep your friends close enemies closer" deal you know ;)

A "year supply" for a single person becomes a 3 month supply when your older brother, wife and 2 kids show up empty handed.

"I'll just shoot them"- come on. First off, most of the situations we face will probably NOT manifest themselves completely on day 1. So if someone actually DID go through with that plan, more than likely the po po's would be coming around looking for Jimmy who said he was going to Uncle John's house. Now Jimmy's car is in the driveway, Jimmy is no where to be found but there is a fresh grave in the woods. It would suck to spend TSHTF in prison wouldn't it?

It's important to point these folks towards prepping, but honestly, your going to have to do it FOR THEM if they don't. DO NOT TELL THEM THAT, but do it on the down low.

If nothing else, spending $80.00 on 100 lbs. rice and 20 lbs. lentils is better than $80 GRAND on an attorney.

Make some preps for them, do NOT tell them about it, make sure they understand that IF they do show up and IF they are accepted in, they better make themselves darn USEFUL- no one is needed to hold the couch down type of thing.

Yes I know prepping isn't cheap, I did this for 12 extended family members for years. Thankfully most are really preparing on there own now, including getting useful skills as Paramedics, auto mechanics, carpenters, etc.

Lowdown3

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I agree.
Dont mooch. I shoot moochers. Right between the eyes.
If you want to come over, then bring your own stuff and we can be at the same place. About as far as that goes.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I agree.
Dont mooch. I shoot moochers. Right between the eyes.
If you want to come over, then bring your own stuff and we can be at the same place. About as far as that goes.
Even if someone showed up without food, I would not consider them moochers as long as they could pull their own weight. Also, point blank, if I show up at a settlement without food for some strange reason, and someone says something like that, and reaches for a weapon, they are gonna get shot, plain and simple.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I have the opposite situuation. I have a freind who preps. i have not even thought about it seriously till very recently. I am more into primitive living skills and such.

I was *Told* by my friend that if SHTF I was to grab my daughter and head to his place....even though I have nothing to bring with me.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Honestly, I have family members who, if showed up on my doorstep with a 3 years supply of food and enough guns and ammo to hold back a full scale army, I STILL wouldn't let them in.

These are people I can't stand to be in the same room with for more than 15 minutes. Just having to spend a minimal amount of time with them at the holidays is enough to drive me mad.

I do have a very close friend whom I care about dearly, if she and her son showed up with nothing, I'd welcome them with open arms.

No matter what, I'm going to be damned choosy about who I open my home to. Just because a person is related by blood doesn't mean that's their golden ticket to survival-ville.

·
Does not play well
1,511 Posts
I had this same conversation with a close friend exactly two weeks ago. He is at my house three times per week. He knows my views of the world and where I think it is going. I have told all my friends multiple times to get a gun, buy alot of ammo, stock up on water, and as much usable canned, dried, and LTS food as they can possibly budget for.

In a conversation two weeks ago this friend (who does not have a gun or food) told me that if things got bad he would come to my house. My exact response was,"What? And get shot?!" He was stunned. Then he said,"But what if I shoot back?" To which I responded with a comment about him having no gun... He then said, "But I can cook for you." What makes people think that menial physical labor or even partially skilled labor or 'I have skills' is enough to eat up the food that keeps everyone else alive? By adding one more mouth everyone else is at more risk. And people never show up by themselves. I am sure this man would bring his wife, stepson, and daughter at the very least...

I am not a rich man, but I have been blessed with open eyes. Some take very little time to gather the "things" that are needed for survival. I like many have to take longer, but I got an earlier start. What is impossible to gather on short notice is knowledge, especially useful skills and practical knowledge.

So, if you are my friend and I have warned you please do not show up at my door empty handed. I may not shoot you, but I most likely will have to send you away. However, this is a disclaimer. If I know that my warnings made a change in your life and you did put food, water, protection, and skills away then if circumstances dictate that you had to show up at my door with empty hand I will do my best to take care of you.

Why isn't the appropriate responding answer to the statement "I'll just come to your house", "Sure, come on over, I really like screwing your wife and daughters so it will save me the hassel of coming looking for them." :D

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
This seems to be a common issue for discussion on all related boards.My brother has made the mistake of letting his buds see his "war room". ( really, that's what he calls it ! U.S.G.S maps on the walls,crossbow hanging from the ceiling, the works,LOL !! )
They all insist they're coming over when the balloon goes up. I gave him a couple replies I picked up on another forum:
"OK, but I'm going to need your ATM card and PIN number so I can prepare for your family,too."
"Why would I want you around my family,if you don't care enough about yours to prepare for them?"
And my favorite," Sure, come on over, we can use the extra bodies...the dogs gotta eat,too !! "

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
tell them to order 2 years worth of food apiece. You'll store it for them.
If they don't show up...<shrug> sorry about yer luck.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not being a jerk, but it's easy to say "I'll whack them out" but when you really think it through, it's not your best solution.

"I'll just shoot them"- come on. First off, most of the situations we face will probably NOT manifest themselves completely on day 1. So if someone actually DID go through with that plan, more than likely the po po's would be coming around looking for Jimmy who said he was going to Uncle John's house. Now Jimmy's car is in the driveway, Jimmy is no where to be found but there is a fresh grave in the woods. It would suck to spend TSHTF in prison wouldn't it?
Just to clarify, I told him, "If you show up without food, I'll shoot you"
I would not actually shoot him. But he got the gist. Before the make-believe stories started, I nipped it in the bud. Feed yourself. Alot of people have a gut feeling that the times, they are a changin, but have no idea where to start. By completely changing the tone of the conversation, I made him realize that what we were talking about WAS a serious topic. He listened, despite the six packs of newcastle we had consumed.

If you are saying today that you plan to move in tomorrow, don't expect to sleep in my bed. You are obviously making plans, you should at least have the wherewithal to buy in on your own ideas. Honestly, a couple months worth of rice and beans is not that expensive compared to the toys some of my friends have.

Make some preps for them, do NOT tell them about it, make sure they understand that IF they do show up and IF they are accepted in, they better make themselves darn USEFUL- no one is needed to hold the couch down type of thing.
I have made preps for friends. I also told him I had far fewer food preps than I do. But if you are going to sit there drinking $8 six packs with me, saying you are going to show up, BRING FOOD.

A lot of good points, however, if I showed up somewhere without food, I have the skills to help any group willing to take me in(not saying I would be without food).

-I was an army medic, and have combat experience.
-I know how to start fires, ect.
-I am very good at improvising and fixing things.

If someone came to me with all these skills and they were willing to pull their weight, I might make an exception to the rule.
Big ups on being a medic. I'd probably invite you on in, if I had enough garden to support you. But honestly, this is a cabin and property I live and thrive off of year round. If somebody showed up and told me they could start fires, I would laugh.

I had a discussion with my best friend, who I have put away preps for, and who has done quite a bit already to make the cabin a reality. I suggested he put some food aside up at the cabin, since he'll be riding up on a dual sport. When he said, "I don't need food, I can forage!" I went ballistic on him, and told him he could sleep by the wood stove, but he would be spending all his time on the back 300,000. It is EXACTLY that fantasy I am trying to dispel amongst my friends.

Even if someone showed up without food, I would not consider them moochers as long as they could pull their own weight. Also, point blank, if I show up at a settlement without food for some strange reason, and someone says something like that, and reaches for a weapon, they are gonna get shot, plain and simple.
TTS, If, by some strange reason, I was the one greeting you, I would not have a weapon. It would be the guy off in the trees, and my trigger motion would simply be a scratching of my forearm or an adjustment of my hat. Not trying to be all rambo, just letting you know that a greeter, a spotter and a sniper is a pretty rudimentary set-up for checking out new arrivals. Be careful when you show up at any "settlement".

He then said, "But I can cook for you." What makes people think that menial physical labor or even partially skilled labor or 'I have skills' is enough to eat up the food that keeps everyone else alive? By adding one more mouth everyone else is at more risk. And people never show up by themselves. I am sure this man would bring his wife, stepson, and daughter at the very least...
This is it. The friends I prep for have a bunch of REAL skills. Skills I don't have. A master mechanic, an engineer with a fabrication shop worth of tools, a doctor. The ones who I expect to throw in only menial labor, I REALLY love, and the two of them have IMMENSELY STRONG boyfriends.

Why isn't the appropriate responding answer to the statement "I'll just come to your house", "Sure, come on over, I really like screwing your wife and daughters so it will save me the hassel of coming looking for them." :D
I almost said something like this to my co-worker, when he said, "Are you just going to let my daughters die?"

Instead, I turned around, looked him in the eye and said, "No man. You are."

My point is not that I'm going to shoot friends. I'm not. I wouldn't and couldn't. What I am doing, is making sure, as things get closer and closer to bad, that those who are most likely to show up unnannounced, uninvited and not part of the plan are at least given a chance to understand what is at stake.

The point of my post was not "I'll shoot mooochers".

The point of my post is that I am getting more and more of my friends to at least begin stocking up food. The remark, "You show up without food and I'll F*&$ing shoot you" just struck me as the funniest way I have yet to get somebody to think about it on realistic terms.

If you talk about society collapsing, and you don't have food, you are basically EXPECTING to starve to death.

Your mileage may vary. <shrug>

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
(quote) ""You show up without food and I'll F*&$ing shoot you" just struck me as the funniest way I have yet to get somebody to think about it on realistic terms."

Actually, that's the exact approach my brother has tried, and they're HIS good buddies !! And they STILL don't get it. They just shake their heads,asking if he's serious. I've tried to expalin the rationale to them, point out that he stocked these shelves by going to the dollar store and Wally World every payday and dropping a few dollars that he never missed, but they somehow would rather go buy a new Hi-def TV, and know they have people like him to fall back on.
As sad and F'd up as it is, we may find ourselves running off some of our friends at gunpoint.:(

·
Registered
954 Posts
(quote) ""You show up without food and I'll F*&$ing shoot you" just struck me as the funniest way I have yet to get somebody to think about it on realistic terms."

Actually, that's the exact approach my brother has tried, and they're HIS good buddies !! And they STILL don't get it. They just shake their heads,asking if he's serious. I've tried to expalin the rationale, point out that he stocked these shelves by going to the dollar store every payday and dropping a few dollars that he never missed, but they somehow would rather go buy a new Hi-def TV, and know they have people like him to fall back on.
As sad and F'd up as it is, we may find ourselves running off some of our friends at gunpoint.:(
Tell them to bring a ladder & body armor.

The ladder is to get over the other bodys:eek: if they make it in

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
My fence has a 275' distance all around our house, you better have a real arm for that kinda ugly deed
someone could load up a car and send it though the fence fulla gas, develop a ground strategy resistant to burnouts.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts