Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Job no matter what has happened you are going to need a job.

Guess what? You will need tools of the trade, examples: a Painter will need a set of good brushes, a Butcher will need knives & sharpener, an Electrician will need hand tools & a Fluke meter.

How will you support yourself? Your answer better be flexible.

Let me tell you what I did post Katrina as an example, First I worked as an Armed Security Guard for the American Red Cross, SBA, SSA, Walmart and Sam's Club (which is a bar in New Orleans). At exactly one year after Katrina all of the Government money dried up. So plan B was I worked as an electrician.

I thought that I could help people fix their' homes, boy was I wrong. I spent a year fixing and building everything everywhere but New Orleans. The insurance had not paid off even after two years and few could afford to rebuild, worse when insurance companies did pay off the checks went to the lien-holding banks leaving nothing for the home owners to repair and/or rebuild with.

Surviving as a worker bee means that you must do hard heavy labor outdoors and you better be able to handle it Buddy.

Now there were some jobs that went away and never came back, ever.

Other jobs never stopped or even slowed down, good for you, 'might not have a home but you still have employment. Hooters, I talked to the Owner and he said he had all of the Girls and Customers that he wanted but, not enough Fry Cooks so one of three Hooters stayed shut for a long time after Katrina. One restaurant, (it might have been Houston's) had no buss boys, they had food, waitresses, cooks but the customers had to clean their own tables. My local pizza place had only pepperoni pizza because ingredients had to be shipped in by 18 wheeler from Little Rock, Arkansas, no local super markets were operational due to looting and lack of electricity for the freezers.

But your conditions may vary.....

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
If I am at home post-SHHTF I will be working EMS/Fire Service/Public Safety still........ if I have had to bug out I have been stockpiling tools and supplies at the BOL so I can do almost anything I need to....... never been afraid of hard work and more than willing to put in 12 - 15 hour days to support the family

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
You just survived the End of the World!! What are you going to do now?

I am going to Dizzy Land!

Sorry, could not resist. :cool:

The need to support yourself and family are never ending tasks unless you have immense wealth or are a member of the leading class. Marketable skills are a great prep. Being willing to do things that others won't can help you get by. However if no one is hiring you really have no options.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you survived TEOTWAWKI you all ready have the skills to live past it.What do you think it's going to be a one day event?

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Id probably end up being either in the kitchen prepping lots of food for the cooks, or doing auxillary nursing, or even looking after the dogs, or sewing garments.

Oh theres lots and lots I could do, just depends where the leader puts me!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I am good with construction and fixing things so I would do something along that path. Already own 95% of the needed tools to do most jobs. I have the knowledge to do most of the jobs too. The jobs that I don't know enough about I got a small collection of books as references. I do need to expand the hardware and building supplies to be effective at my job.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I'm going deeper into the woods and farther away from people, I don't like most of them now so when they are panicked and desperate I really don't want them around.

I will have my medical, fishing, hunting and cooking gear, plus basic hand tools for shelter and fire making. I am one of those that if society collapses I have no intention of doing anything to rebuild it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
job

Okay, Job no matter what has happened you are going to need a job.

Guess what? You will need tools of the trade, examples: a Painter will need a set of good brushes, a Butcher will need knives & sharpener, an Electrician will need hand tools & a Fluke meter.

How will you support yourself? Your answer better be flexible.

Let me tell you what I did post Katrina as an example, First I worked as an Armed Security Guard for the American Red Cross, SBA, SSA, Walmart and Sam's Club (which is a bar in New Orleans). At exactly one year after Katrina all of the Government money dried up. So plan B was I worked as an electrician.

I thought that I could help people fix their' homes, boy was I wrong. I spent a year fixing and building everything everywhere but New Orleans. The insurance had not paid off even after two years and few could afford to rebuild, worse when insurance companies did pay off the checks went to the lien-holding banks leaving nothing for the home owners to repair and/or rebuild with.

Surviving as a worker bee means that you must do hard heavy labor outdoors and you better be able to handle it Buddy.

Now there were some jobs that went away and never came back, ever.

Other jobs never stopped or even slowed down, good for you, 'might not have a home but you still have employment. Hooters, I talked to the Owner and he said he had all of the Girls and Customers that he wanted but, not enough Fry Cooks so one of three Hooters stayed shut for a long time after Katrina. One restaurant, (it might have been Houston's) had no buss boys, they had food, waitresses, cooks but the customers had to clean their own tables. My local pizza place had only pepperoni pizza because ingredients had to be shipped in by 18 wheeler from Little Rock, Arkansas, no local super markets were operational due to looting and lack of electricity for the freezers.

But your conditions may vary.....
OK,
TEOTWAWKI.has happen, and you have survived. What caused it. Economic melt down, was that followed by some kind of Global WMD war, If it was a massive multiple EMP type of thing then your premise about having to have a job made not be valid. Will you be working for some type of currency or use some kind of barter as a form of payment for work performed. Depending on what the IT is in the TEOTWAWKI. skills,tool, may be of little good outside of providing life sustaining needs for you and yours. I don't about you or other here,but my skills for what it will take to totally rebuilt the world is limited.
To be honest until "it" happens, there is no real way to determine ,what life will be like after or what the survivors will have to do to continue mankind.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
If one survived TEOTWAWKI and things got better, I'd simply continue prepping...I'd prep during TEOTWAWKI. Preparedness doesn't end.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
You just survived the End of the World!! What are you going to do now?

I am going to Dizzy Land!

Sorry, could not resist. :cool:

The need to support yourself and family are never ending tasks unless you have immense wealth or are a member of the leading class. Marketable skills are a great prep. Being willing to do things that others won't can help you get by. However if no one is hiring you really have no options.
Matt,you have a great sense of humor,and I agree,some of the things I think can make you some money PSHTF,from a labor standpoint are cutting firewwood,taking care of seniors who will need help and security,and if there are no schools,have a secure area for babysitting children.
I live close to a lot of Amish and I think they are a great model for post SHTF living since, they have small community coop style systems,yet have their individual properties.

Thanks for the humor,we can afford to survive,it'll just be a little tougher.
That was a funny thread,I gave it 5 stars,a sense of humor is a great SHTF prep!

Bob

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Time to start repopulating... JK.

If we are talking total collapse then I dont need to worry about a job for money. I am pretty good at gardening and raising poultry and rabbits. Sure I could raise goats as well. Just need to kick it up a notch and raise enough to barter with after feeding my family.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I am 65 so put me on O.P. duty..I will supply all of my own weapons,ammo, night vision equipment,clothing,water,shelter,and most of my own food. Hint, iam a very good shot..1S1KNE..

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My main job would be what I'm doing now, growing fruits and vegetables. I have a huge stockpile of canning jars and lids. I figured out I need a lot more sugar than normal people since I make jams, jellies and baking so I will be adding a lot more. I have a large stockpile of seeds (no hybrids). I'm learning to make my own yarn so I can make sweaters and other winter clothing. I have tons of fabrics and yarns. I'm ready to trade since the mighty dollar would no longer be mighty. I just need rabbits and chickens (town will not allow them right now but I have a sure source for both); I have the plans, materials, wood and tools to build them housing. All my lot is fenced but I guess I'll be doing a lot of night watch with my neighbors. If nothing happens I will still be doing the same (except night watch).

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
preping to survive the next one,

nah i'm opening a liquor store that also sells lingerie and i'll be sew-drunk

sorry bad humor day

·
Registered
808 Posts
I am 65 so put me on O.P. duty..I will supply all of my own weapons,ammo, night vision equipment,clothing,water,shelter,and most of my own food. Hint, iam a very good shot..1S1KNE..
I'm with you delta 6 - plus I'm planting a good marijuana patch and a good bed or two of opium poppies. I'll watch the plants grow while working on my reflux still.

-bob

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Cash crop

I'm with you delta 6 - plus I'm planting a good marijuana patch and a good bed or two of opium poppies. I'll watch the plants grow while working on my reflux still.

-bob
Too funny not to be true,
I was listening to a talk radio show the day, The subject of legalizing pot was be discussed. The host of the show put out the stat that in 2005, The total cash crop value for pot grown in this country was greater than the combined cash value for corn and wheat. No flippy wonder we are broke. We have been feeding the world, when we should have been getting them stoned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts