Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a popular misconception that you have to 'pay' for satellite TV.

There are many free to air channels availiable in Europe & America.

All you need is a box & dish, which you can buy at your friendly neighbourhood satellite shop / radio shack. And away you go, simple...:)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Very interesting. I did a few searches at radioshack.com but only came up with satellite mounts, no mention of dishes, LNBs, or receivers. Is there a particular brand or trade name this free satellite is called?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have a Dish still on my roof from years back still got the boxes some where around here. But they required a chip for them. How do you get around that ?

·
Communications Bunker
963 Posts
You may not have to pay for satellite TV, but you sure have to pay for that Free-To-Air receiver, and all FTA TV doesn't come from the same bird so you have to learn where the birds are. If you have a Dish Network receiver and a properly installed antenna you can receive the NASA channel, and maybe some others. You can get FTA equipment from here: http://www.gosatellite.com/

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
All I will say on this is BE CAREFUL. There is/was a way to get access to a major DISH tv channels also. But as a few people are finding out right now, it is very costly when they catch up to you. Some of them are looking at heavy prison time if convicted, and this was all done with free-to-air receivers and some code breaking.

Not saying everyone out there is out for that sort of thing, but its easy to get caught up in the abilities of the equipment and next thing you know men in dark suits are knocking on your door with warrants and carrying out your computer and satellite equipment.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Very interesting. I did a few searches at radioshack.com but only came up with satellite mounts, no mention of dishes, LNBs, or receivers. Is there a particular brand or trade name this free satellite is called?
Just a little hint... look for Dish Network outdoor equipment:taped:, the receiver itself is the part you need for free to air.

Not sure what all needs to be beyond that.

·
-.-. --.-
2,323 Posts
All I will say on this is BE CAREFUL. There is/was a way to get access to a major DISH tv channels also. But as a few people are finding out right now, it is very costly when they catch up to you. Some of them are looking at heavy prison time if convicted, and this was all done with free-to-air receivers and some code breaking.

Not saying everyone out there is out for that sort of thing, but its easy to get caught up in the abilities of the equipment and next thing you know men in dark suits are knocking on your door with warrants and carrying out your computer and satellite equipment.
How do you trace a receiver? I'm not read in on satellite comms. I do know the FTA systems are around $350 for a complete system though, seems a lot cheaper than any alternative.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
How do you trace a receiver? I'm not read in on satellite comms. I do know the FTA systems are around $350 for a complete system though, seems a lot cheaper than any alternative.
They didnt track the receivers themselves, but the website that was being used to pass out the hacks to access the DN channels. You had to have access to that site to get the codes so basically they swooped in and grabbed IPs and traced them back to people.

All receivers may not be able to access those channels, and since then DN has updated their security features to prevent the code hacking or at least make it much more difficult. I didnt get a lot of information on it, just "Hey, try this out and tell me how you like it." just before all hell broke loose.

·
Registered
922 Posts
There seems to be a popular misconception that you have to 'pay' for satellite TV.
Satellite TV is one of my hobbys, I have a penta 85 cm dish hooked up to a Dreambox DM600pvr and a Spiderbox HD9000.I can recieve about 20 different sat. positions from 55 Degrees west to 45 degrees east.

I don't know how there can be a "popular misconception" about free satellite TV, almost every European country has a free platform, the UKs' is called "FREESAT" (the clue is in the name!).

I am mainly interested in sport, esp. football (soccer), and a desire not to give money to murdochs sky tv.

The uks' freesat has BBC 1,2,3,4, two BBC hd channels and ITV 1,2,3,4, plus about 20 minor channels showing mainly tat.Most of the news and religion channels are also free.

There is very little free stuff of interest , most football and all decent adult stuff is encrypted, ironically religion and news is usually free.It is interesting to look at what some cultures put out, Macedonian folk music for example.

As for cracking pay tv, the days of keys and dodgy cards have almost gone, Nagra 2 was the last major package to be cracked(also used by cable here), all operators have gone to the uncracked Nagra3.

I have just checked and the major US providers use videoguard and Nagra 3, neither of which is likely to be cracked soon.The only way round this is something called "card sharing"(google it), highly illegal and you need to be connected to the internet, thus traceable.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
If I could get content that was worth the cost I would consider it. Right now I don't feel the need for 25 RTV channels.
I checked out the FTA channel list somebody posted above. From the looks of it, unless you REALLY like BBC you better speak a different language to get anything worth watching.

I spent 6 months traveling back and forth to Egypt and having to watch the stuff they put on tv. Much of it was FTA type stuff from all over the mid east and Europe and I cant think of a single instance where I saw anything I would buy a receiver to get. Although, it was kind of interesting to watch Al Jazeera once. They twist things around as bad as CNN and MSNBC do.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
So let me get this strait. The normal subcriber pays for the english version. But all the other other ones are free. Sounds like they just want to charge Americans and knowbody else doesnt it?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
So let me get this strait. The normal subcriber pays for the english version. But all the other other ones are free. Sounds like they just want to charge Americans and knowbody else doesnt it?
Of course, we are the richest nation in the world, we can afford it. :xeye:

Actually I guess we kind of deserve it. Whos the bigger dummies, the ones charging for it or the ones PAYING for it?:taped:

·
-.-. --.-
2,323 Posts
I checked out the FTA channel list somebody posted above. From the looks of it, unless you REALLY like BBC you better speak a different language to get anything worth watching.

I spent 6 months traveling back and forth to Egypt and having to watch the stuff they put on tv. Much of it was FTA type stuff from all over the mid east and Europe and I cant think of a single instance where I saw anything I would buy a receiver to get. Although, it was kind of interesting to watch Al Jazeera once. They twist things around as bad as CNN and MSNBC do.
So you're telling me that I can watch (for free) BBC and a bunch of international news stations for the flat cost of a $400 kit? Sounds good to me... I mean TV in English is so boring, it's proven the best way to learn another language is to use it anyways.,

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
So you're telling me that I can watch (for free) BBC and a bunch of international news stations for the flat cost of a $400 kit? Sounds good to me... I mean TV in English is so boring, it's proven the best way to learn another language is to use it anyways.,
You may not have to pay that much, I only paid $120 or my receiver, though I already had the dish. I have never looked into buying another set up.

Im perfectly happy with what I have, Ive seen overseas tv and didnt like it. Besides, Im American, we speak English and thats the only language I need to know. My days of globe-trotting are hopefully over for a while.

·
-.-. --.-
2,323 Posts
You may not have to pay that much, I only paid $120 or my receiver, though I already had the dish. I have never looked into buying another set up.

Im perfectly happy with what I have, Ive seen overseas tv and didnt like it. Besides, Im American, we speak English and thats the only language I need to know. My days of globe-trotting are hopefully over for a while.
I too am American, but I grew up watching the Iraq wars "live" from the satellites. I know it gets old after a while, but it's nice to have a different perspective sometimes. Plus, having more options is never a bad thing

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts

I don't believe this is true. You are allowed to monitor any radio frequency you can receive. Satalite TV counts on the fact that the majority of thier customers don't have the technical knowledge to find, and translate thier signals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts