Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today we have new unemployment figures. We are no longer looking at who loses their jobs during the month but now looking at it from a week by week status.

What would you do if you were just handed your pink slip? In detail, how would you survive with little or no income coming in for the next 18 months or longer.

blt

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
The choices are a bum on a beach in southwest Florida or with dear old mom in frigid Maine... I'll save enough for suntan lotion...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I work for my self. But if business dropped off so much that I had to "close the doors", I feel confident in my ability to find other services that would provide enough income to support my family. It is the slow season for me now, but this happens every year at this time, so no surprise. Things are tight but we are making it just fine. My wife is a school teacher, so hopefully she will always have that. Although the school system is doing major cut-backs and, among other things, the teachers aren't getting their annual raises. But at least, as of now, they still have their jobs.
I guess I am starting to stray off subject.....so yeah, you have a good point. Time to come up with a backup plan for work.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
go on paid vacation (unemployment) for maybe a month and get another job.

·
Vote 3rd party!
900 Posts
1) Get a beer
2) get my resume updated and start searching
3) Update and finish last minute food preps
4) Hunt!!!
5) Go back to living poor like i had to 10 years ago

·
Registered
635 Posts
First of all, it would be a pretty extreme situation for me to get a pink slip at all, I'm a nurse. Then if say it did happen I'd probably just go to the hospital a few blocks away and get myself another job. May have to take a pay cut but I am fairly confident I'd still be working.....if the hospitals aren't hiring, the nursing homes are......

·
Registered
191 Posts
Spend an hour on the computer making up flyers of services I can provide, and spend the next day(s) putting them on every door and car in town. I was shocked going out to bid a job and the lady had kept our flyer after two years!

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Leave my wife and marry a wealthier woman. In all seriousness I lost my job back in 2001, one month after 9/11. My employer shut its doors, no notice, no severance package and no cobra. On top of that I had bought a house 6 months earlier and I just proposed to my wife about 3 weeks before that. I was lucky for the following reasons:

- my wife, then fiance wanted to run down to courthouse and get married so I could have benefits. She wanted to combine our savings (she had more) so I would have some cash to pay the mortgage.

- I had prepaid my mortgage 3 months ahead of time because I foresaw this happening.

I was extremely fortunate that my ex-employer was purchased and brought back half of its employees including. This happend only 2 weeks after they closed their doors. The whole experience left a lasting impression on me and I swore I would do everything possible to avoid being in that same position again.

I have worked in the HR department of corporations for about 12 years, mostly on the hiring side. My advice to those who find themselves unemployed suddenly is the following:

- immediately file for unemployment and cobra
- do not take a paid (unemployment paid) vacation, try to find work immediately
- get up every day like you are going to work, shower, eat breakfast, dress and sit at your computer. Post your resume on the job boards, contact employment agencies and network like crazy. Do this every day, if you finish by 2pm, or 9:30am fine, but get yourself on schedule and try to keep busy.
- use those networking sites (linkedin.com, facebook, etc.)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all, it would be a pretty extreme situation for me to get a pink slip at all, I'm a nurse. Then if say it did happen I'd probably just go to the hospital a few blocks away and get myself another job. May have to take a pay cut but I am fairly confident I'd still be working.....if the hospitals aren't hiring, the nursing homes are......

I'm an RN too. It would really be the end of the world if we couldn't get a job.:D:

·
Here's a man who stood up
639 Posts
I was handed my pink slip almost three years ago. I was Fired not layed off. I left that place at 9:00 AM and drove directly to the Dept of Transportation. They oppened at 10:00AM I was first in line.

I knew I was on the way out so I called a trucking company that was always advertising. I found out what I needed to know to get through their tranning school.

I got info from the DOT about everything related to testing for OTR trucking.

Things changed, and I got a different job sooner than I thought, about 6 months. But the OTR driver is an option worth looking at. It still is high on my list if this job goes south.

Some trucking companies will train you for free if you stay on at least a year. the pay sucks .27/mile, compared to the .38 to .42/mile most companies pay. But they provided you $4,000.00 worth of schooling.

while I was on unemployment here are some of the things I did.

Mowed lawns, did yard work, put out flyers in a twenty block radius. They supplied the mower and gas I did the grunt work.

I got $25.00 to $30.00 a yard. 5 to 6 yards a day $125-$180. I didn't get that every week but it sure helped.

All cash business is a plus too.

Collected aluminum cans. I grabbed the recycle bags from peoples garbage and sorted the aluminum. Not too proud of this but it was money.

I did hauling and clean up work. I put an add in the penny saver stating I'd haul away junk and scrap, etc. Alot of trips to the dump, after I sorted any copper, aluminum, steel, cast iron etc.

Shoveled snow. $20-$30. The elderly really appreciate it, I got quite a few hot chocolates out of this.

As far as what I did food wise. I bought generic or the store brand. Wal-Mart is Great Value. I ate alot of mac and cheese, cambells soups .50 -.80 a can when on sale. I never went out to eat, EVER.

I cut out chips and snacks, bought Great Value saltines instead at $1.00 a box.

I ate alot of rice.

I stopped buying Red meat, I had a freezer full of venison, salmon, waleye, etc. I bought chickens, whole fryers, I'd cut up myself, cheaper that way. It was time consuming but I had alot of time on my hands.

I never went out to a bar or a movie. Only went to things that were free. Like parks when the softball teams were playing. I rode my bike alot.

I cancelled my cable and got rabbit ears for the TV. $60.00-$80.00 a month to watch TV was too much.

I used genaric shampoo and the cheapest soap I could find. When the soap got so thin it broke, I never threw it away. I just moved it to the sink untill it turned into slivers. I took short showers, 5 min max, alot of them were cold.

I turned the heat down to 61 degrees, even through winter. I wore alot of sweaters and slept in my sleeping bag under the covers.

I never used the AC even when it was 100+ outside.

I did dishes once a week to save on water. The toilet too, not to prund of this either but the old saying "If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down" was a rule in my house. Again not my finest hour.

I used candles alot. Started reading alot more too since I could only get five channels in on my TV.

I would read Backwoods Home magazine at the newsstand, without buying it. Again not one of my proud moments. Its a great magazine full of all sorts of great ideas for people that were in my situation or living off the grid.

Things worked out in the end though, I eventually got another job, then a better job. I even worked part time in a hardware store for two years for $8.00/ hour. Not alot of money but everything helped. I used to make $30.00/hour before i was fired.

I used to brag how I wouldn't get out of bed for less than $30.00/hour. You'd be suprised how quickly I got out of bed for $8.00/hour when I was unemployed.

Bottom line is I had to swallow my pride and do what was nessecary to survive. I think more people will realiize this when they lose their jobs.
You have to do what ever it takes to survive.

One of my favorite quotes that I used during that time and still use today:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Things changed, and I got a different job sooner than I thought, about 6 months. But the OTR driver is an option worth looking at. It still is high on my list if this job goes south.

Some trucking companies will train you for free if you stay on at least a year. the pay sucks .27/mile, compared to the .38 to .42/mile most companies pay. But they provided you $4,000.00 worth of schooling.
Be very careful with this option wind. I knew a guy who did just this and its basically indentured servitude. The company owns you and tells you where your going, at what time, and at what rate.

What you may not know is that for running the training program the company gets reimbursed by the gov as well as a load of other incentives for each person they train. The companies cant keep all the people they train so they try their darnedest to make your life a living hell so you'll leave voluntarily. Then they can train another person for more tax breaks plus pay them the crap wages and run their life for another year.

Also the trucking industry was hit pretty darn hard during the last time gas prices shot up. I never did OTR but drove for a few years. Its not as stable as it would seem to be.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would consider reenlisting, this time in the army though. Make enough to get by plus learn some skills that will no doubt prove useful should the social/economic situation continue to deteriorate.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was handed my pink slip almost three years ago. I was Fired not layed off. I left that place at 9:00 AM and drove directly to the Dept of Transportation. They oppened at 10:00AM I was first in line.

I knew I was on the way out so I called a trucking company that was always advertising. I found out what I needed to know to get through their tranning school.

I got info from the DOT about everything related to testing for OTR trucking.

while I was on unemployment here are some of the things I did.

Mowed lawns, did yard work, put out flyers in a twenty block radius. They supplied the mower and gas I did the grunt work.

I got $25.00 to $30.00 a yard. 5 to 6 yards a day $125-$180. I didn't get that every week but it sure helped.

All cash business is a plus too.

Collected aluminum cans. I grabbed the recycle bags from peoples garbage and sorted the aluminum. Not too proud of this but it was money.

I did hauling and clean up work. I put an add in the penny saver stating I'd haul away junk and scrap, etc. Alot of trips to the dump, after I sorted any copper, aluminum, steel, cast iron etc.

Shoveled snow. $20-$30. The elderly really appreciate it, I got quite a few hot chocolates out of this.

As far as what I did food wise. I bought generic or the store brand. Wal-Mart is Great Value. I ate alot of mac and cheese, cambells soups .50 -.80 a can when on sale. I never went out to eat, EVER.

I cut out chips and snacks, bought Great Value saltines instead at $1.00 a box.

I ate alot of rice.

I stopped buying Red meat, I had a freezer full of venison, salmon, waleye, etc. I bought chickens, whole fryers, I'd cut up myself, cheaper that way. It was time consuming but I had alot of time on my hands.

I never went out to a bar or a movie. Only went to things that were free. Like parks when the softball teams were playing. I rode my bike alot.

I cancelled my cable and got rabbit ears for the TV. $60.00-$80.00 a month to watch TV was too much.

I used genaric shampoo and the cheapest soap I could find. When the soap got so thin it broke, I never threw it away. I just moved it to the sink untill it turned into slivers. I took short showers, 5 min max, alot of them were cold.

I turned the heat down to 61 degrees, even through winter. I wore alot of sweaters and slept in my sleeping bag under the covers.

I never used the AC even when it was 100+ outside.

I did dishes once a week to save on water. The toilet too, not to prund of this either but the old saying "If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down" was a rule in my house. Again not my finest hour.

I used candles alot. Started reading alot more too since I could only get five channels in on my TV.

I would read Backwoods Home magazine at the newsstand, without buying it. Again not one of my proud moments. Its a great magazine full of all sorts of great ideas for people that were in my situation or living off the grid.

Things worked out in the end though, I eventually got another job, then a better job. I even worked part time in a hardware store for two years for $8.00/ hour. Not alot of money but everything helped. I used to make $30.00/hour before i was fired.

I used to brag how I wouldn't get out of bed for less than $30.00/hour. You'd be suprised how quickly I got out of bed for $8.00/hour when I was unemployed.

Bottom line is I had to swallow my pride and do what was nessecary to survive. I think more people will realiize this when they lose their jobs.
You have to do what ever it takes to survive.

One of my favorite quotes that I used during that time and still use today:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche
A good post about how you did it, wind. There are a couple problems that may or may not affect you now depending on where you are.

If everyone else is losing their jobs, yard work may be the first item cut from their buget. If people aren't buying much then transportation, such as trucking may not be a job that you are looking for, aluminum cans may become scares if everyone is looking for them for extra income.

Snow shoveling will always be needed here but if neighbor starts taking care of neighbor it may not be the money maker it is now.

I really like your responce to purchasing food. People don't realize that in a SHTF situation they may not get as much meat as they once had unless they actually know how to get it themselves. In college I lived off of rice more than anything. That was before I became a hunter and fisherperson.

You have lived with what you can find and shown yourself a true survivor. I wonder how many could do what you had done without running home to mommy and burdening her with their lazy self. Thanks for your answer. I think you are a thinking person.

blt

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
- do not take a paid (unemployment paid) vacation, try to find work immediately
chances are you won't have any vacation for another year.
I take breaks. Luckily I'm in a field where so far i haven't had to file for unemployment.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I guess I had a period of enlightenment around Jan. 22, 2007. I work for a major pharma company and one of the main reasons I got into pharma was the supposed "stability". I worked for a couple years and each year there was another "re-org". I was seeing people who became close friends and colleagues lose their jobs. One good thing was that many of these people were able to find jobs in other departments. I was renting at the time and each time I thought that the coast was clear and would start looking for a house, another re-org would start. I would hold off since I wasn't sure if my job was safe.

When I felt that the coast was clear for the final time, I pulled the trigger. I got a great house at a great price in Sept. 2006. On Jan. 22, 2007, my company closed the entire site.......3000+ people out of work on a single day. I'm single but had a car payment, a house payment, other bills, no job and 3000+ other people to compete against in finding a job who do not want to move either in a fairly small city. That was a very helpless and crushing feeling.

After I got over feeling sorry for myself, I got myself together. My exit from the company was going to be delayed even if I didn't find another position at a different site. I took advantage of resources at work, updated my resume and started looking. I ended up relocating with the company where they bought my house, gave me a bonus and gave me considerable moving expenses. I took the bonus money and paid off my car. I took the moving expense money and put it in the bank at 3.5% interest. Money that went to car and house payment each month now goes into savings (minus rent). I moved and have been renting again since August 2007 since I don't trust the company or the direction they are going. In August 2008 more layoffs were announced. In Oct. I was told my dept. is being dissolved and I'll be out of a job by Jan. 09 unless they tell me otherwise. If I'm released, I will be getting a sizable severance.

So back to the original question; what would I say if I was handed a pink slip? My answer would be "where do I sign, where's my check, when can I leave?" I hate my job here and living so far from family anyway. Me saying this may happening in the next 30 days. I would be saying this even if I wouldn't get a severance as I have placed myself in a "can't lose" position. I would definitely look into training I could get in the healthcare field. Healthcare is one of the only fields that is growing. I am not independently wealthy by any means, but if I have to walk tomorrow, I can find a cheap place to rent (or live at the family cabin) and be fine for 1-2 yrs. Not an ideal situation, but we are talking survival.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
A friend of mine just had this happen to him last week, he is 69yrs old. He went Friday took his exam to get his tow truck license updated, passed the test, came by wed to borrow my computer to pay his license fee and called an old friends widow to see if her son that runs a wrecker company will hire him. He goes there Monday and will probably start next week.
Just never give up, never surrender! No matter how damn old and tired you are.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
What would you do if you were just handed your pink slip? In detail, how would you survive with little or no income coming in for the next 18 months or longer.

blt
Kick my former boss in the nads, go look for another job, be glad I paid all my debt down before I got canned.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm a security manager, currently I'm contracted with the government. Security work is one of the few jobs that is always hiring. I don't know any security firm that is fully staffed. You might not make what the previous job paid but you will have work. Depending on your certifications and training you can make a respectable living.

I've had many jobs; military, realtor, teacher, computer technician, graphic designer and now security. Some jobs paid more, while others were more rewarding. Try to make sure you're diverse. The more skills you learn the more options you have if you do loose your job.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts