Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, I live in the middle of a big city in the UK, and tbh it seems like the nearest bit of truly rural land is 4 hours drive away. Even then, I don't believe there are any "truly rural" bits of the UK left any more.. people are everywhere on this island. I have never even seen a true "forest" here, just small patches of trees which are 500m x 500m lol.

I guess the one advantage of living in such a relatively compact space is that we are going to be hit much less by rising transportation costs compared to you guys. But I still think you will have it way easier if SHTF :(

Raiding/property protecting should be fun here, lol. I don't know a single person who has ever touched a real gun (in the UK that is), nevermind someone who owns one. So it will be knife/spear/sword warfare, as opposed to gun warfare. :p

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
Sigd, there aren't the vast swathes of untouched land over here, but there are still some good areas. And you'll find in the rural areas there are still plenty of people who have guns, although definitely not the majority. Try joining a target shooting club.

There are a lot of advantages to the US, but there are good things here too. At least, that's the attitude I feel you must have if you will survive over here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
In a lot of ways you're right. There is tons of open space here and folks in general tend to be more independent. Thus most of the time the authorities don't freak out if you try to handle problems on your own. There are exceptions to this rule of course. Most of the East Coast and all of SoCal may as well be Europe or Asia, when you consider their population density and the general dependent mentality of their citizens.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I mean, I live in the middle of a big city in the UK, and tbh it seems like the nearest bit of truly rural land is 4 hours drive away. Even then, I don't believe there are any "truly rural" bits of the UK left any more.. people are everywhere on this island. I have never even seen a true "forest" here, just small patches of trees which are 500m x 500m lol.

I guess the one advantage of living in such a relatively compact space is that we are going to be hit much less by rising transportation costs compared to you guys. But I still think you will have it way easier if SHTF :(

Raiding/property protecting should be fun here, lol. I don't know a single person who has ever touched a real gun (in the UK that is), nevermind someone who owns one. So it will be knife/spear/sword warfare, as opposed to gun warfare. :p
You mean the UK didn't learn its lesson regarding those gun laws?
Incidentally, the NRA's call to help arm Britain in 1940 resulted in the collection of more than 7,000 firearms for Britain's defense against potential invasion by Germany (Britain had virtually disarmed itself with a series of gun control laws enacted between World War I and World War II).
http://www.nra.org/Aboutus.aspx

But seriously...guess boarding up to keep people out will be the method of survival there? I hear your pain though; I would hate to be in that scenario. I hear there is free access to our country on the Mexico border...lol

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You mean the UK didn't learn its lesson regarding those gun laws?
http://www.nra.org/Aboutus.aspx

But seriously...guess boarding up to keep people out will be the method of survival there? I hear your pain though; I would hate to be in that scenario. I hear there is free access to our country on the Mexico border...lol
As I just said in another thread:

Actually, you're forgetting that whilst *I* may not have a weapon, 99% of other people won't have a weapon either. As a trained, strong and fit guy, I am actually far better (relatively speaking) at using other weapons, such as a knife or spear.

In terms of prepping, I would much prefer to have a UK-like scenario with hardly anyone having guns, than a US-like scenario with many people having guns. :)

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
I think that both people in the U.S. and Canada are pretty lucky. So, why don't you move to the U.S. or Canada? You can come join us. After you get here, we'll even let you own guns too. Crossbows, blowguns, slingshots and such will also all be legal for you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
No insult intended to our British friends, but yeah, we are lucky arent we.

We have a ton of land that lies empty, tons of resources, and it is easy to get by.
When the SHTF things will of course change drastically and I think it might be better to be in the UK. There will be wholesale killing here on a scale that only some military may have ever seen, and since in the US nearly everyone has a gun or twenty and 10,000 rounds of ammunition things will escalate quickly. There will be armchair commandos with an AR-15, 10 full magazines, night vision goggles and full body armour on every block in the city and even more of them in the suburbs. People here will go nuts because it was legal to buy that stuff. Not that I am complaining, mind you, just stating the fact.

We may be saying that you guys are lucky before long.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that both people in the U.S. and Canada are pretty lucky. So, why don't you move to the U.S. or Canada? You can come join us. After you get here, we'll even let you own guns too. Crossbows, blowguns, slingshots and such will also all be legal for you.
Do you know how difficult that is? ;)

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
As I just said in another thread:

Actually, you're forgetting that whilst *I* may not have a weapon, 99% of other people won't have a weapon either. As a trained, strong and fit guy, I am actually far better (relatively speaking) at using other weapons, such as a knife or spear.

In terms of prepping, I would much prefer to have a UK-like scenario with hardly anyone having guns, than a US-like scenario with many people having guns. :)

Unfortunately Sigd, although most law-abiding citizens may not have guns, a horrific number of criminals do have them and they won't be afraid to use them in a shtf scenario. Spears, knives and cricket bats won't really do the job then, I'm afraid.

However, there are still reasons that I think we may fare better over here - in certain places - than over there (in certain places). I really really want to move to Cornwall!!

·
Registered
33,402 Posts

That's really kind of sad, I grew up with guns and the country. I can't imagine my life without both of those.

·
Patiently Waiting
6,084 Posts
Come to Australia mate. We've got millions of acres of forest to get lost in. And despite popular belief you can have firearms here, you just need the appropriate licence.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger
964 Posts
Quote from Sigd:

"Raiding/property protecting should be fun here, lol. I don't know a single person who has ever touched a real gun (in the UK that is), nevermind someone who owns one. So it will be knife/spear/sword warfare, as opposed to gun warfare." :p[/QUOTE]

Knife/spear/sword warfare??? I suspect that when SHTF, the criminals will find guns to use against the law abiding citizenry armed with knives/spears and swords.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts