Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very cold in Brazil right now. If anyone's ever driven from Sao Paulo to Belo Horizonte, it's amazing how many hours of coffee plants you see. Unfortunately it's below zero, and possibly killing the plants. Expect prices to go up even more. Brazil is the largest coffee exporter, and next year's crop could be seriously impacted.

Plan accordingly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He keeps trying to tell me things, but I'm too dumb to understand.

Ironically, similar thought track ... FL has a Citrus County, but no real citrus. About a hundred years ago a frost kill them, so they never replanted. Wife from Parana State (~200 miles south of Minas Gerais). They had a lot of coffee bushes, then a frost, then cut down and planted different stuff. Hope Minas replants, otherwise ...

·
Registered
3,370 Posts

Ironically, similar thought track ... FL has a Citrus County, but no real citrus. About a hundred years ago a frost kill them, so they never replanted. Wife from Parana State (~200 miles south of Minas Gerais). They had a lot of coffee bushes, then a frost, then cut down and planted different stuff. Hope Minas replants, otherwise ...
In Pasadena CA, where my mother was born, it was not unusual for one to walk downt he street and grab an orange or lemon from a tree.

These days there are still some trees with fruit, but most are ornamental now.

·
Storyteller
2,692 Posts
I grew up in SoAz. Miles and miles of orange groves. A long time ago - most were destroyed in the late 60s/early 70s. The trees were bulldozed into piles and burned.

Now just - miles and miles of cookie cutter old folks homes (Dell web)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
These days there are still some trees with fruit, but most are ornamental now.
Reminds me of visiting our son in the Phoenix, AZ area. Lots of citrus trees. But a bunch of those oranges that are so pretty, you'd not wanna eat. The lemons, though, we really enjoyed. (He had a tree in his yard, and of course, when we were there over the winter, it always had a wonderful crop of lemons on it.) Couldn't tell you about the grapefruit, we never tried any of that from anywhere around the neighborhood. It was interesting seeing olive trees with actual olives on them, too...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Instant is not as bad as "none" - but I have put a ton of teabags into mylar as a backup. I'm not stockpiling any more coffee, just replacing what we use.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,862 Posts
I grew up in SoAz. Miles and miles of orange groves. A long time ago - most were destroyed in the late 60s/early 70s. The trees were bulldozed into piles and burned.

Now just - miles and miles of cookie cutter old folks homes (Dell web)

YEAH.. but Dell Webb certainly paid for it.
It was one of the BIG cases in law school. Spur vs Dell Webb
Webb built Sun City AZ on really cheap ground, right next to the one of the largest cattle feed lots on the planet, a company named Spur.
Webb tried to get Spur shut down because it constituted a health hazard to his project and the smell was offensive. By the time it worked through the courts hundreds of people were living there.
Court decided, to side with Webb, BUT they also said Webb "moved to the nuisance" since it wasn't like he didn't know that Spur was there. Court decided it was easier to move cattle than people, SO they told Webb, he won...BUT... he would have to pay Spur, costs of ALL lost profits from closing down, Webb would have to buy and build on new property suitable to Spur another full cattle operation just like they had, Webb would have to pay all the wages lost of the people out of work during the transition... in other words said Spur was to lose not one dime including all the court costs spent running up to that decision.
SO
what Webb saved in buying cheap land it cost him more to relocate Spur.. but Webb won(?) the case.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Very cold in Brazil right now. If anyone's ever driven from Sao Paulo to Belo Horizonte, it's amazing how many hours of coffee plants you see. Unfortunately it's below zero, and possibly killing the plants. Expect prices to go up even more. Brazil is the largest coffee exporter, and next year's crop could be seriously impacted.

Plan accordingly.
Remember the zero temps were Celsius.
''-1.2 Celsius (29 Fahrenheit) ''

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

I looked it up:
9a Citrus County, Florida is in USDA Hardiness Zones 9a and 9b.
One should be able to grow the hardier citrus there like Satsumas that most years do well in zone 8b in Northwest FL.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And fig tree, and olive tree, and pineapple tree, and....
Winter in N. TX is goofy. We have to keep the good trees in pots, and every morning I move them from workshop to driveway, and back every evening. The winter event nearly killed the lemon and lime, but they grew back (no fruit this year). Figs in ground died to ground level, but fruiting now. Half of the pomegranate died, rest died to the ground. Apples, peaches, pears, etc. are thriving. Blackberries were still in the greenhouse containers, and died. Told wife not to worry about moving to shop, I wanted to see if they would make it. Of all my plants, I thought blackberries would have been the survivors.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have often wondered whether I could grow enough coffee, perhaps in a high tunnel, to provide for our personal needs. No idea how many plants or how long it takes for them to make the berries, could be years.

We do have a little whole bean coffee in reserve but if I see it next time I go go the store, I may pick up a bit more. I never like seeing it get down to the last anyway so typically stockpile just a little.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts