Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least in the movie Supervolcano it did but, as it says in the beginning of the film, this is a true story; it just hasn't happen yet...

Watch this movie! It might prompt you to take some action that might save your life one day.

Here is a link to the torrent:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4484101/Supervolcano.2005.DVDRip-Morsan(SweSub)

It will download as 2 one hour parts, in an .avi format, each about 700 MB.

It is an eyeopening, scary reminder of the enormity of what could and very well might happen in our life time.

Scientist have discovered that the ground in Yellowstone is 30 inches higher than in was in 1923. That indicates a massive bulging underneath the park. The caldera is filling with magma at a frightening rate.

This particular supervolcano has been erupting with an almost clockwork precision on a cycle of every 600,000 years. The last eruption was more than 640,000 years ago - we are overdue for what has been every time in the past an almost E.L.E- Extinction Level Event.

As they hint at in the movie, the government is trying to downplay the possibility that it might erupt any time soon, but the reality is that they just don't know.

They claim that this massive swelling of the ground in Yellowstone is part of a cycle and that it will eventually go down, without a super eruption. In reality, that is just a theory (and a lot of optimism and hope) as nobody was recording this kind of data prior to 1923.

The other fact that stands in the way of producing concrete and absolute workable data is the enormity of the area to be surveyed and monitored.

I am not telling you all this so that you can run away screaming and flailing your arm. Quite the opposite.

Know what could happen, understand what it would mean for you and your loved ones and what you could do on a personal level, to try to mitigate the effects of this cataclysm , should it come to pass in the next few years or decades.

640, 000 years have passed since the last eruption. It might not erupt for another 5000 years but just as well, it might erupt next week. There is enough happening there to qualify as early warning...

What you do with it is up to you...

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a bit more reading on the subject:

Yellowstone Is A Super Volcano Overdue For Eruption

What is a super volcano?

A super volcano is the most destructive force on this planet. Only a few exist in the world and when they erupt they do so with a force tens of thousands of times greater than other eruptions. They lie dormant for hundreds of thousands of years as a vast reservoir of magma builds up inside them before finally they unleash their apocalyptic force, capable of obliterating continents. They threaten the survival of mankind.

What happened during the last eruption of a super volcano?

The last eruption of a super volcano was in Toba, Sumatra, 75,000 years ago. It had 10,000 times the explosive force of Mount St. Helen and changed life on Earth forever. Thousands of cubic kilometers of ash was thrown into the atmosphere - so much that it blocked out light from the sun all over the world. 2,500 miles away 35 centimeters of ash coated the ground. Global temperatures plummeted by 21 degrees. The rain would have been so poisoned by the gasses that it would have turned black and strongly acidic. Man was pushed to the edge of extinction, the population forced down to just a couple of thousand. Three quarters of all plants in the northern hemisphere were killed.

What causes super volcanoes?

Super volcanoes differ from normal volcanoes in many ways. The stereotypical volcano is a towering cone, but super volcanoes form in depressions in the ground called calderas. When a normal volcano erupts lava gradually builds up in the mountain before releasing it. In super volcanoes when magma nears the surface it does not reach it, instead it begins to fill massive underground reservoirs. The magma melts the nearby rock to form more extremely thick magma. The magma is so viscous that volcanic gasses that normally trigger an eruption cannot pass, so a massive amount of pressure begins to build up. This continues for hundreds of thousands of years until an eruption occurs, which blasts away a huge amount of ground, forming a new caldera.

Where are there other super volcanoes?

Not all super volcanoes have been found, but one of the largest is in Yellowstone Park, USA. Scientists searching for the caldera in the park could not see it because it was so huge - only when satellite images were taken did the scale of the caldera become apparent - the whole park, 85km by 45km, is one massive reservoir of magma. The idyll landscape of Yellowstone (below) could soon explode with devastating consequences.

When will it next erupt?

Scientist have discovered that the ground in Yellowstone if 74cm higher than in was in 1923 - indicating a massive swelling underneath the park. The reservoir is filling with magma at an alarming rate. The volcano erupts with a near-clockwork cycle of every 600,000 years. The last eruption was more than 640,000 years ago - we are overdue for annihilation.

What would be the effect of an eruption?

Immediately before the eruption, there would be large earthquakes in the Yellowstone region. The ground would swell further with most of Yellowstone being uplifted. One earthquake would finally break the layer of rock that holds the magma in - and all the pressure the Earth can build up in 640,000 years would be unleashed in a cataclysmic event.

Magma would be flung 50 kilometres into the atmosphere. Within a thousand kilometres virtually all life would be killed by falling ash, lava flows and the sheer explosive force of the eruption. Volcanic ash would coat places as far away as Iowa and the Gulf of Mexico. One thousand cubic kilometres of lava would pour out of the volcano, enough to coat the whole of the USA with a layer 5 inches thick. The explosion would have a force 2,500 times that of Mount St. Helens. It would be the loudest noise heard by man for 75,000 years, the time of the last super volcano eruption. Within minutes of the eruption tens of thousands would be dead.

The long-term effects would be even more devastating. The thousands of cubic kilometres of ash that would shoot into the atmosphere could block out light from the sun, making global temperatures plummet. This is called a nuclear winter. As during the Sumatra eruption a large percentage of the world's plant life would be killed by the ash and drop in temperature. Also, virtually the entire of the grain harvest of the Great Plains would disappear in hours, as it would be coated in ash. Similar effects around the world would cause massive food shortages. If the temperatures plummet by the 21 degrees they did after the Sumatra eruption the Yellowstone super volcano eruption could truly be an extinction level event.

Taken from:

www.armageddononline.tripod.com/volcano.htm

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts

Glad I live on the east coast... oh wait that can be hit by tsunamis.

For apocalyptic (for humans) events like that, all you can really do is just try to live life to the fullest and try to minimize your risks. We all get a visit from the grim reaper eventually.

Reactions: American Chestnut

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Glad I live on the east coast... oh wait that can be hit by tsunamis.

For apocalyptic (for humans) events like that, all you can really do is just try to live life to the fullest and try to minimize your risks. We all get a visit from the grim reaper eventually.
Not true. You can prepare (specifically) and be one of the many that will survive if it happens (if you don't live within 500 miles)

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
Don't want to drift the thread but I don't have the Torrent program to run the movie. Can I get it for free ?

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't want to drift the thread but I don't have the Torrent program to run the movie. Can I get it for free ?

What you need is a torrent client. Here are two good ones and yes, they are free.

www.utorrent.com

www.bittorrent.com

Download and install either one. Then when you have downloaded a torrent on your computer, all you have to do is go to the folder where you've sent the download and click on the torrent. It will open the client on its own and begin leeching.

Both those clients also let you pick and choose which files to download (in case you don't want a whole album for example).

·
Mean Old Lady
156 Posts
I have to agree about the cute avatar. I also have to claim ignorance: "OMG" I know...but what is "ONOZ?"

Can't help but think that must be what we look like freaking out about our preps. In fact, I remember a couple of those days...

Thanks for the chuckle!

·
Mean Old Lady
156 Posts
Meantime, back on topic...do we have anyone that went through ashfall in Washington and Oregon back when St. Helens went up? Can we get input from someone close to the action?

I've seen what remains of Mount St. Helens. All I can think is that there must have been some big eyes on Interstate 5...even if they couldn't see the mountain itself. Sheesh...think I'll stick to hurricanes...:xeye:

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
I have to agree about the cute avatar. I also have to claim ignorance: "OMG" I know...but what is "ONOZ?"

Can't help but think that must be what we look like freaking out about our preps. In fact, I remember a couple of those days...

Thanks for the chuckle!
"ONOZ" is internet slang/leet speak for "oh no!" with the adolescent style of pluralizing everything with an "s" or a "z."

I use that image a lot, and I made it my avatar to remind myself that maintaining a sense of humor will keep you level-headed amid all of the doom and gloom headlines. We survivalists focus heavily on disaster preparedness and because of that, we interpret everything from that perspective... over time that can play hell with your psychological and physical well-being. Easiest way to shave 10-15 years off your life is to live in a constant state of self-induced stress and panic.

Events like these do cause me to take that extra trip to Costco and buy a couple of things. Now I'm tempted to get a couple of those cheap dust masks; I think even FEMA recommends them for their 72-hour emergency kit. The possibility of this erupting also throws a monkey wrench in my plans to get some solar sources of backup power going- a solar panel doesn't work well under ash clouds. Time to add some crank lights to my solar lights...

After the power went out here briefly due to wind gusts, my dad suddenly remembered to call the electrician about wiring a hook-up for a generator (he's been putting that off for months.) Nothing like these little events to light a fire under your bum...

Reactions: American Chestnut

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Declan, How close ARE you? I remember seeing Mount St. Helens on TV, and was vexed by the whole scene...the kind of "would like to have witnessed it personally, but certainly wouldn't want to live there" kinda thing. Same goes for the movie...

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am about 450 miles NE and I take my preps for this one very serious. I am far away that I would survive the initial blast. From there on afterward it would be a close race for survival.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just so you guys know, I started this thread the day before the swarm of quakes started. It wasn't my intent to add to the panic with that title. Freaky how the next day it became such a well discussed subject.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NE...yeah, THIS doesn't look good for MANY more people than would expect it...
Firehiker, that map show an unbiased 1000 mile radius from the caldera but in reality this is a more accurate prediction for the ash fallout. This is a map that shows where the ashes from the last two eruptions landed.

Prevailing winds in the Northern Hemisphere will come into play.

·
Jesus Is Lord!
346 Posts
The military base NORAD is being moved to Area 51 at a great expense to the government (our tax dollars actually). Wonder what they know that we don't? NORAD is located in Yellowstone's definite kill zone.

From Wikipedia.com:

North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) is a joint organization of two countries in North America - Canada and the United States that provides aerospace warning, air sovereignty and defense for North America, except Mexico. It's located in Colorado.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts