Survivalist Forum banner
121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,399 Posts
1883 ,watching and allowing your wifes sister to blow her brains out [ they made it look better than it actually does ] is pretty hard core.

I get that what we know now about suicide is a far cry from then,but she was his sister in law.

And yes I will not miss that whining cow,BUT standing by with a shovel is cold.

Most people who attempt suicide,if stopped are grateful afterwards.

Not enjoying 1883 near as much as Yellowstone.

Yellowstone is selling [ not intentionally ] Ram trucks , Winchester and all other lever action rifles , clothing line that is huge , and a pile of other stuff too.
I read where Claire was his late brother Henry's wife. not his wife's sister. If that had been the case, she wouldn't have let her stay there or at least she would have made more of a point to fight or plead with Claire about staying. That's why Claire wanted to kill herself because she didn't have any blood family left.

Yes, he stood by and watched but don't forget he did try to argue with her there for a minute, but he didn't think he could change her mind or didn't want to, he didn't seem to argue too hard about it for sure, but he knew she had made her mind up. At least he had the decency to go get a shovel to give her a decent burial beside her daughter while the wagon train kept moving. I know that sounds kinda harsh, but at least he and Shea buried her.

17,348 Posts
I was half expecting more from the "chance" encounter in the restaurant between John and Garrett. Though I suspect that it sets the stage for what happens later.

The results of Kayce going on his 4 day vision quest is going to be interesting.

John asking Beth to find someplace else to live for a while was a bit of a surprise, particularly after John invited Beth, Rip, and Carter being newly invited to live in the lodge. We'll see what Beth does in the season finale next week.

Rip doesn't look particularly happy after he finds Beth crying to Walker's music.

With Tate gone from the Ranch, John seems to be taking more of an active part in Carter's life.

Who knew that Carter would become a card shark?

Jimmy going back to Montana, and his asking Emily to wait for him, sets the stage for a blowout with Mia...and perhaps even Jimmy finding a way to return to Texas.

Christina is certainly showing her true colors with respect to Jamie's future.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
So John Dutton's 2x great grandfather (Tim McGraw in 1883) was a Confederate officer who was captured at Antietam and spent 3 years in a Federal POW camp... interesting family roots.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I was half expecting more from the "chance" encounter in the restaurant between John and Garrett. Though I suspect that it sets the stage for what happens later.

The results of Kayce going on his 4 day vision quest is going to be interesting.

John asking Beth to find someplace else to live for a while was a bit of a surprise, particularly after John invited Beth, Rip, and Carter being newly invited to live in the lodge. We'll see what Beth does in the season finale next week.

Rip doesn't look particularly happy after he finds Beth crying to Walker's music.

With Tate gone from the Ranch, John seems to be taking more of an active part in Carter's life.

Who knew that Carter would become a card shark?

Jimmy going back to Montana, and his asking Emily to wait for him, sets the stage for a blowout with Mia...and perhaps even Jimmy finding a way to return to Texas.

Christina is certainly showing her true colors with respect to Jamie's future.
Good insights Mr. SP, it has been a sacrifice of a season as it seems Taylor Sheridan is using S4 to set the stage for current and future spinoffs.

JD beotch slapping Beth was quite a surprise, I didn't think she could do wrong in his eyes... and I was equally as surprised at her depth of her devastation.

Rip seeing his sweetie soothed by the cowboy crooner Walker is setting up his second visit to the train station, me thinks.

Interesting developments with Carter sticking around and winning over the affections now of Rip and JD, the adolescent orphan grifter seems to be carving out a niche in the family business, perhaps he will become a "white collar Rip" in the future and assume Beth's role.

Jimmy all but giving Emily a promise ring certainly foreshadows his return to the 4-6s, and Jimmy spinning that cow horse and warming it up for it's owner was his graduation walk across the stage as a legitimate cowboy now.

This whole business with Jamie Dutton continues to spiral deeper out of control, and making his journey now somewhat like Joker's... it most certainly precludes a savior role when JD reveals that he is his true father from an illicit roll in the hay in the stock barn back in the day...

1883 slowed down to a crawl with Episode 3, too much time is being spent in TX with the wagon train, they need to speed it up a little.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,399 Posts
😁
1883 slowed down to a crawl with Episode 3, too much time is being spent in TX with the wagon train, they need to speed it up a little.
Kind of an oxymoron there ain't it? Speeding up a wagon train? 😁

First off, they have a wagon train full of German immigrants who don't know crap. Didn't even know to boil water out of the river to keep from making themselves sick. Only 1 out of a hundred people speak english. Didn't even know what a rattlesnake or poison ivy was. Which means they have no clue about indians or anything. Hell, they had never even messed with horses or mules before coming to america, just oxen. It's gonna be a loooonnngg trip.

Not to mention that daughter of James and Margaret Dutton's, Elsa. Nieve as hell and strong willed to boot. She's gonna cause that young cowboy that's smitten with her to get killed. That is if he dosen't try some stupid crap first. She may have to use that pistol her daddy gave her on him.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Kind of an oxymoron there ain't it? Speeding up a wagon train? 😁

First off, they have a wagon train full of German immigrants who don't know crap. Didn't even know to boil water out of the river to keep from making themselves sick. Only 1 out of a hundred people speak english. Didn't even know what a rattlesnake or poison ivy was. Which means they have no clue about indians or anything. Hell, they had never even messed with horses or mules before coming to america, just oxen. It's gonna be a loooonnngg trip.

Not to mention that daughter of James and Margaret Dutton's. Nieve as hell and strong willed to boot. She's gonna cause that young cowboy that's smitten with her to get killed. That is if he dosen't try some stupid crap first. She may have to use that pistol her daddy gave her on him.
I generally agree with your points but Taylor Sheridan is beating a dead horse with them now... ya we get it, European immigrants who know nothing of life on the western frontier and how to survive it, they made that clear in E1 and E2...

a few items that interested me:

I would like to see the "leader" of the German immigrants start to grow a pair and man up, learn how to handle a revolver and ride a horse, just too wimpy for me at this point... but I think he becomes a force later, so I think they are setting that up to happen

We see the beginnings of the Dutton herd in Montana with the Longhorns they "acquired", small but it is the beginning...

The Dutton daughter is pure trouble at this point for any man over the age of 18 walking on the planet, and I was shocked JD the patriarch is permitting that wrangler to spend time with her... me thinks JD smokes this poor bloke in a later episode for getting to close and personal with Elsa...

The gypsie family is now shacking up in Sam Elliot's wagon, I see him being more than "Uncle Shea" when they hit town in Oregon...

Billy Bob Thornton was exceptional as the Ft Worth Texas sheriff, would like to seem him back in future espisodes... I'm a BBT fan so it was not surprising to me how well he performed

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,399 Posts
I generally agree with your points but Taylor Sheridan is beating a dead horse with them now... ya we get it, European immigrants who know nothing of life on the western frontier and how to survive it, they made that clear in E1 and E2...

a few items that interested me:

I would like to see the "leader" of the German immigrants start to grow a pair and man up, learn how to handle a revolver and ride a horse, just too wimpy for me at this point... but I think he becomes a force later, so I think they are setting that up to happen

We see the beginnings of the Dutton herd in Montana with the Longhorns they "acquired", small but it is the beginning...

The Dutton daughter is pure trouble at this point for any man over the age of 18 walking on the planet, and I was shocked JD the patriarch is permitting that wrangler to spend time with her... me thinks JD smokes this poor bloke in a later episode for getting to close and personal with Elsa...

The gypsie family is now shacking up in Sam Elliot's wagon, I see him being more than "Uncle Shea" when they hit town in Oregon...

Billy Bob Thornton was exceptional as the Ft Worth Texas sheriff, would like to seem him back in future espisodes... I'm a BBT fan so it was not surprising to me how well he performed
Yep, Ol Billy Bob was something else. You definitely know where he stands, no doubt about that. LOL. At least they don't have to worry about those men any. And yes, i'd like to see more of him too.

As for Elsa, I was wondering about her dad not saying something already also, but then again, he's been pretty busy himself. Surely, he's seen that cowboy riding beside her and talking to her by now. I've also wondered if he will take the cowboy out myself.

Well, Shea is lonely, he lost his wife and daughter to the small pox so I figure that gypsy lady will worm her way into his bed sooner or later.

I'm waiting for JD and the Union Sargent to get into it, if not him and Shea since they were on the opposite sides of the war. Him still wearing the Union uniform is bound to get on JD's nerves sooner or later. The war's been over for about 18 years by 1883. Surely, he could have bought new clothes by now.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Yep, Ol Billy Bob was something else. You definitely know where he stands, no doubt about that. LOL. At least they don't have to worry about those men any. And yes, i'd like to see more of him too.

As for Elsa, I was wondering about her dad not saying something already also, but then again, he's been pretty busy himself. Surely, he's seen that cowboy riding beside her and talking to her by now. I've also wondered if he will take the cowboy out myself.

Well, Shea is lonely, he lost his wife and daughter to the small pox so I figure that gypsy lady will worm her way into his bed sooner or later.

I'm waiting for JD and the Union Sargent to get into it, if not him and Shea since they were on the opposite sides of the war. Him still wearing the Union uniform is bound to get on JD's nerves sooner or later. The war's been over for about 18 years by 1883. Surely, he could have bought new clothes by now.
Hmmm, interesting observation, but I don't think JD is going to harbor any Confederate ill will towards the Federal Sargent... his uniform is post civil war, most likely US Army issue fighting the frontier indian wars... highly unlikely a black man would be an officer in the Union Army, but very possible post CW

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,399 Posts
Hmmm, interesting observation, but I don't think JD is going to harbor any Confederate ill will towards the Federal Sargent... his uniform is post civil war, most likely US Army issue fighting the frontier indian wars... highly unlikely a black man would be an officer in the Union Army, but very possible post CW
You know, I forgot about the US Army, duh. With all the flashbacks to the Civil war, I totally forgot the US Army and the Union uniforms looked alike. That makes a lot more sense now. LOL. Another slap myself up side the head things.

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
I am annoyed at the little things.

The black soldier with a bandolier of ammo over his shoulder AT ALL TIMES ? = WTF ?.

It is hot and it will mess your clothing up something horrible.

And WTF does that ammo go to besides ?.

He wins the looking bada$$ award,not drop that bandolier !

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,399 Posts
I am annoyed at the little things.

The black soldier with a bandolier of ammo over his shoulder AT ALL TIMES ? = WTF ?.

It is hot and it will mess your clothing up something horrible.

And WTF does that ammo go to besides ?.

He wins the looking bada$$ award,not drop that bandolier !
Look at it this way, Bad guys knows he's prepared to give them a hell of a fight, LOL. Besides back then it was the only way to carry your ammo other than wrapped around your waist if all you had was a horse, all that sure as hell wouldn't fit in a saddle bag and I doubt he cares about the way it looks and they were used to the heat so I doubt that bothers him either. As for what the ammo goes to, it's for his rifle. They'll for sure need all that ammo and more for indian country.

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
Look at it this way, Bad guys knows he's prepared to give them a hell of a fight, LOL. Besides back then it was the only way to carry your ammo other than wrapped around your waist if all you had was a horse, all that sure as hell wouldn't fit in a saddle bag and I doubt he cares about the way it looks and they were used to the heat so I doubt that bothers him either. As for what the ammo goes to, it's for his rifle. They'll for sure need all that ammo and more for indian country.
Ammunition was NOT near as stable as it is today.

A few days of sweat & rain and that blackpowder loaded ammo would be almost useless.

ESPECIALLY after a good soaking in the river.

And do look up verdigrus,as it LOVES blass.

That ammo belongs in the SUPPLY WAGON with all the other "just in case" goods.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Two shots of bourbon if it's Travis doing donuts.

Every time the camera cuts to a cowboy doing that horse skiddy thing, everyone must skid into the kitchen for a snack at the next commercial break. That should help absorb some of the alcohol.
Apparently Taylor Sheridan is one of the creators of this show. He is also writer, director and producer on several episodes.

So if he wants spinning horses, we get spinning horses...

·
Hank Hill in Lingerie
908 Posts
Last night's episode was a hot mess.
Don't want to put spoilers here so I won't be specific, but wow, what was that???
Just, non-sequitur and strange and all over the place. Lots of weirdness and loose ends. Not 'cliff hangers,' just weird loose ends.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
That is a sign that by the time episode was written/filmed series was not renewed for the next season yet.

17,348 Posts
The season 4 finale was somewhat disappointing to me.

I expected something a bit more creative with respect to tying up loose ends, not to even mention that all the loose ends were required to be tied up right now anyway.

I don't want to post any spoilers, so I'll leave it at that.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts