Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never messed with the "Pre Packaged" type foods

I have a bud with a family of 5 that wants to drop the $ on a 1 year supply... Any good links or ideas to give him ? Thanks in advance

·
Crazy old man
1,287 Posts
:thumb:Check with Major surplus,mre depot,freeze dry guy,nitro-pak.com.emergency essentials, walton feed just a few to start. Happy hunting:D:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Consider this when buying.

1 year food for 5 people

@ 1,500 cal/day = 2.7 million calories
@ 1,750 cal/day = 3.2 million calories
@ 2,000 cal/day = 3.7 million calories

Calories don't come cheap. 1 year supply of food at most of the websites is for 1 person and they can run about $3,000. He weould $15,000 +/- to get that for 5 people.

I would suggest buying alot of rice & beans....lots of calories fairly cheap and then sealing them in mylar/buckets, then suppliment buy around that with things like fruit, veggies and perhaps some meat products in #10 cans to round out the nutritional value.

That is what I have been doing at least.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
a years supply at waltonfeed is under 1,000 excluding cooking oil

·
Registered
497 Posts
How is he planning on rotating this as a crash may not come for many years. Even with the news it could take a very long time to affect us or it could happen tomorrow.

Isn't he better off buying food he's use to.

I Looked at MRE's for a supply here and while 2 of use would eat it no problem three had a problem with it and one of those three would still eat it but not for that long. I wanted the MREs as they are easy to move and small to store. Then my wife asked who was going to help me rotate it because we didn't have enough eaters kicking around. We are now eating what we are storing and if we don't like something we don't store it. Thank god no more squash if the end comes.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
when you're hungry you won't be so finicky I'll bet.

·
Registered
497 Posts
when you're hungry you won't be so finicky I'll bet.
Hell I'll eat a leather shoe boiled this guys putting in for a family it's not as easy as some people think to force your kid to eat things Mine eat anything nature makes just get fussy about stuff nature didn't. Besides I don't know if thats the way to go for kids anyway. I said buy what he's eating now not don't buy a supply I just don't like MRE's and considering I know a few soldiers on this board that would agree with me about them. Freeze dried foods have a lot of sodium and other chemicals in them that aren't good for young children. if it was two adults there body can take the abuse kids need different care particularly with it being a years supply of food. You aren't meant to survive only on MRE's for the long term any more then freeze dried food. if he wants to put the money out he should focus on something that wouldn't have them sicker then a dog at the end of a year. He has to keep this rotated or it will go bad so it has to be something he is willing to eat not something that will sit in his storage and go bad. he'd be better off to get a years supply of grocery bought stuff that will last a year and rotate it through.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It depends what kind of food the family is looking to store. If there is a cook in the house, then ingredients to make meals may be the way to go. It is way less expensive per serving/calorie than the "ready made" meals like MREs or Mountain House. Be careful and check delivery times, places like Waltons are saying about 12 weeks for shipping. (I placed my order May 1st, didn't receive it until Aug. 22nd, at the time they said 6 weeks shipping). I have had excellent service from http://store.honeyvillegrain.com. They ship the next day and the prices aren't too bad for #10 cans. Not a huge selection, but good for the long-term storage (vegs, fruit, eggs, grains, etc) items, to supplement rotating short-term grocery store foods.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
MRE's are a big business on E-Bay , they can be bought at a wide range of prices and freshness dates. I just bought a case from Mredepot.com, they were expensive at $79.95 but they were the freshest packing date I could find.

·
Endure-Adapt-Overcome
332 Posts
The Ready Store is great, you get free shipping with orders over $100 and if you order less than $100 I think the shipping is only $7.95. Plus after you order from them once you get a code to use on the next order to save 10%. I have ordered from them four times and never had a problem, just one order shipped a little slower than the rest. With The Ready Store and Survival Enterprises I feel alot better about my preps.

http://www.thereadystore.com/

http://www.se1.us

·
Registered
57 Posts
Food is all well and good but every time i see a thread like this i wonder what people are goin to do with all this food for a year when the water supply to rehydrate the food is not there.

I have been prepping for years and have found that even the food like the Coast Guard rations are good when you have some hot sauce but water is the one thing that most people dont think about as it just comes from the tap.

I have several 30 gal drums with just rain water stored and filtration equipment to clean what ever i need but it has taken years and a lot of money to get there as well as a lot of reading on the mistakes that other people have made in the past.

Please don't forget the water side of the equation as well.

Ozziepom.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Food is all well and good but every time i see a thread like this i wonder what people are goin to do with all this food for a year when the water supply to rehydrate the food is not there.

Please don't forget the water side of the equation as well.

Ozziepom.
Amen to that! I do not store anything I won't eat. Canned food has a minimum of a two year shelf life. You can eat it right from the can or use some tongs to hold over your nuwick candle & heat.
Dried beans and so forth require WATER to boil & cook. I'll take 7 cans of Dinty Moore beef stew & 7 bottles of water over having to use my water for beans!
As for MRE's, it all depends on what you get to eat. Some are very tasty. Some are disgusting. They may last for 3-4+ yrs, but do you really want to eat something that's awful when things are so bad anyway?
When the world around you has fallen apart, and your days are spent in darkness & silence, imagine how good it will feel when you heat up something you actually like to eat and have water (flavored w/ tea, coffee, kool-aid) to drink with it! There's one bright spot for ya.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts