Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What a disappointment!

Note to the director (Carl Franklin): footage of people running away does not constitute an "action movie" in my book.

And how many times must the protagonists give up, be captured or be disarmed to make up for a lack of plot? :confused:

Oh yes, and I love the Hollywood-esque twist of the bad guy/biker/right wing (did you note the red flag background to the Nazi-like medallion in the background at the bad guy's HQ) dude as power mad would be future führer.

Hollywood's obsession with right wing hobgoblins makes them portray the right wing humans as more evil than the aliens. :mad:

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I enjoyed the 2 hour special. It is not a situation that I would put myself in. Too many people to go unnoticed. But it is better then a lot of the series I have seen.

I'll watch it while it is interesting.

·
Misplaced Texan
163 Posts
I will have to give it a bit more time. Hopefully the plot will get a bit more interesting and will not follow the same plot line as many of the other "action" shows out there and hopefully a little less predictable...

But of course I could be asking too much as well... I did ask for Santa for the bad evil liberals that are trying to take away my guns to get shipped off to a desert island....

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
i was at work when it came on.

Luckily it recorded on my DVR. im 30 mins in NOW. Taking a break ..I needed to liquour up , make sure I had some nice phoods and rly enjoy this one.

Im not disappointed so far. Im finding their "leaders" faith in the SERE doctrine, appropriate. And rather prudent.

cant wait to finish it.

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
Sooo...I liked it..

And seems there will be equal footing soon enough. Seems the aliens use weaponry not dissimilar from ours, however with superior ballistics potential.

its not far fetched. Ive been in this discussion time and time again with people on Scifi boards discussing this race vs that ...etc etc etc.

And it fails to occur to people Kinetic projectiles (bullets, shells, chemical explosives, nukes) are not inherently inferior to plasma/laser/nadions, particle beams...w/e you want . They are simply less complex..but that is their beauty.

Weaponry in combat is all designed to work together for a combined effect. IE..to name a couple..SAW's and area suppression to allow boots on the ground to reposition and direct precision fire to single targets.

We might like to think an advanced race would have plasma guns for this purpose, or lasers. But honestly...a bullet can do the same job , just as well, and cheaper.

If not a "modern" bullet )armor too dense, shielding, etc), then its simply a question of putting more energy in the bullet or altering its effect to get the same outcome. And this will always be more economical. If you do have the technology to build a laser assault rifle or something ridiculous, you can build a conventional rifle to do the same job at 5% of the price (more advanced propellents or even magnetic acceleration, and it will still yield great energy comparable to your laser or plasma gun at a fraction of the cost and complexity)

The type of arguments I always see is "Well a turbo laser from a star destroyer in starwars is supposedly rated in the megaton range! so..humans from X scifi show have no chance" Yeah?..well so would a 150 pound slug travelling at mach 50. And I guarantee its easier to make than a 'Turbo laser" No matter how technology improves...More complex and "scary" does not equal better.

It wont be until we can master direct conversion (reactor power to electrical power without heat conversion like we do in modern reactors with heat engines) that it might even become a remote possibility...(for the simple reason of efficient energy conversion and thus less resources spent on conventional munitions, casings, propellents, projectiles themselves) and it still wont mean it is "better"

So aliens using bullets, Fine by me. People overplay directed exotic energy. And underestimate the potential of kinetic energy

http://youtu.be/XoTgH0q3zo8

For those who cant speak german...it is a demonstration of the P90 vs the Jaffa "staff weapon" which fires like..fire balls (probably some form of plasma). translation - "This is a weapon of terror, it is designed to intimidate the enemy" (staff weapon) This..is a weapon of WAR..it is designed to KILL the enemy.. (P90)

Directed energy and exotic weapons would be purpose based, not main stream (Like for example..whatever it is their ships happen to be dropping. It could be a question of supply or longevity. Looks like a plasma based projectile, which could be created via venting from a fusion reactors natural output and provide the same effect as a comporable chemical explosive, without the mass and weight..meaning less time rearming, more time in the field ,Not that its "better" than a conventional explosive, in this case it is simply more practical).

But based on the scenes from the upcoming episodes..looks like we will have a munitions upgrade soon from salvaged components to put us on more equal footing. Something to penetrate that mech armor without the heat signature of heavy weapons..Not to mention the valuable tactics we picked up from the "right wing" extremist on dealing with the biologicals.

·
When all else fails......
2,503 Posts
The show was fine but TNT lied. Said with few commercial interruptions and every 5 mins a bunch of commercials came on. A 2 hour show was actually 63 mins of total movie. Hope next Sunday it gets a little more exciting.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
ok im gonna vent a bit about what i see happening with tv shows and what i liked and didnt with this show. even though everyone i know was dissapointed with battlestar galactica it got good reviews and viewership. this show constantly had humans fighting amongst themselves even though the cylons were trying to erradicate them (even had a union strike to stop the fleet). stargate universe samething, humans just cannot get along even though they have to to survive. this show, right out the gate, people dont follow orders, the military treats the civilians like 2nd class citizens and my favorite, the lunatic leader of a small band of criminals is willing to go to war with humans when apparently 99% of the pop has been wiped out by an alien race at war with "wait for it" ..........humans. to quote "starship troopers" "we're in this for the human race boys and girls". noah wyle is good as the history teacher turned 2nd in command guerrilla, worked with the combo of military protecting civilians and trying to spread out the poplulation so they dont all get slaughtered in one fail swoop. special effects is good and someone on the show corrected someone that asked for a clip. "its a magazine". they were looking for weapons and supplies which is reallistic. i'll keep watching but i really wish these left wing-bats would quit putting their politics into shows like this. in a situation like this you do what you have to and need to and you accept certain things as a new reallity, you dont worry about your place in society when society is in doubt.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Noah Wyle IS a big history buff in real life, and does Civil War reenacting (he looks the part, to me, too). I bet he enjoyed playing a history teacher thrown into a history-making situation.

Reactions: Robot

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
What is wrong with the idea of a tactical retreat? When you don't have much a chance of winning it is better to retreat, and live to fight another day. The show was good and I look forward to the series, I remember the first episode of Jericho was sort of slow to but it is a series that should of continued too.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Just about any book I ever read started out slow.

Give it time.

I enjoyed last night. The plot so far seems believable. At least for Hollywood.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Saw most of it last night. If these ailens can build these enormous ships, set them down over a city and have all this high tech stuff, then why can't they locate groups of people over a few hundred. Weapons used by humans okay, but not realistically fired. Humans in a real, hostile alien invasion would not be kicking around out in broad daylight, holding classes, eating, etc. If the real aliens attacked we would be like ****ants attacking elephants.

·
FEMA Region IV
458 Posts
Assume it is real and the events we are experiencing are not the result of bad writing.

Then you have posed a good question.

Why indeed. Why indeed can't they locate groups of several hundered.

Or can they? and are simply not engaging.

If so, why.

Splitting up into smaller and smaller groups was a great idea. This was key to confusing and gaining victory over Skynet in "James camerons vision".

Skynet was still sitting on an unused strategic arsenal. But the key is of course strategic arsenal....you dont use a sledge hammer to kill an insect especcially when you may need to reserve strategic assets for unforseen consequences.

And as of now, the bulk of the Alien forces are doing SOMETHING...for some reason..elsewhere...and are focused in major centers of economy and infrastructure to limit our ability to resupply.

If they want to deal with us in a prudent manner then, they must do so on a man to man basis and commit assets for such a campaign. Which means pulling them from elsewhere.

So if they arent even bothering then they are worried about something more important.

However. Lets not forget the harnessed children we see.

Experimentation? food?

Unlikely.

Im thinking soldiers.

Expendable assets (alot like how skynet was forced to build bipedal terminators to fight human insurgents on their own ground) with a psycological impact that can carry the fight to us, and leave their own forces to handle whatever agenda that have planned.

And we need to know what that agenda is

·
Registered
910 Posts
Things that I hate on TV shows:

#1} People who give up their weapons for any reason whatsoever.

I might be killed. I might run out of ammo--I'm not giving up my Guns.....

Let me reiterate: Live if I can; Die if I must; never ever disarm!

#2} People who won't take the shot, at close range; in a Hostage/ Human Shield Scenario--Statistically its always the best bet.

Besides--be a real shame if you got shot--but I'll avenge you. Be a downright Catastrophe for both of us to get killed--maybe after Hannibal Lecher games.

#3} people who have been awake for hours--yet need to rack their slide on their autopistol before going into harm's way.

Outside of these three.....

O yeah, people who are roughly handled before being accepted as allies--and who shrug it off, without feeling compelled to retaliate, blow-for-blow.

.....RVM45 :cool::eek::cool:

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Saw most of it last night. If these ailens can build these enormous ships, set them down over a city and have all this high tech stuff, then why can't they locate groups of people over a few hundred. Weapons used by humans okay, but not realistically fired. Humans in a real, hostile alien invasion would not be kicking around out in broad daylight, holding classes, eating, etc. If the real aliens attacked we would be like ****ants attacking elephants.
One possible explanation for the aliens not attacking the large groups of survivors-

Remember the argument in the very beginning of the show when the "General" was giving orders to the new group commanders? They discussed staying and attacking the aliens before the mother ship returned but ultimately decided it was better to flee for the safety of the non-fighters.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I haven't had a chance to catch the show yet but I detect a number of SF tropes here that could come into play. For instance, these are aliens and their motivations needn't make perfect sense to us. Or: There may be other sorts of aliens out there, and maybe this bunch is on the run after losing a battle. Many an isolated island has been plundered by a defeated fleet on the run. Or: We fight wars for control of resources and security of borders. That's us. For all we know these aliens practice war as a sport or an art form and are using rules that are meaningless to us.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts