Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys, got my callsign today, after passing my tech test perfectly. Taking general and extra in a few months, was a mix up on test fees.

So, now I need radios. I'll be doing s&r, and as I'm overlooking 300,000 acres of wilderness from my house, I'll want a hand held and a vehicular. The yaesu vs-7r and ft-8900r were both strongly recommended, and while I like the features of both, the price tag is a bit steep.

I do not need a bullet proof rig in my truck, but I do forsee having to dump my truck on a hilltop as a repeater if somebody gets lost out in the view, so I do need that as a feature.

Any experience with em? Are they as good as I have been led to believe?

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
I'll keep an eye on this thread. I was literally just handed a brand new yaesu radio for FREE!!

Honestly, I know NOTHING about it besides what I've read as far as reviews go. But from them I can assume its a great radio.

Im in the process of deciding either to keep it (since it was free) or sell it (because it was free)...

·
Registered
156 Posts
In all honesty all three brands (Yaesu, Icom, Alinco) all run comparatively. I own the FT-8800R and a FT-60R and I love them but also heavily considered Icom when I was purchasing, ultimately I went with Yaesu because of some of the "smaller" features (mainly the free separation kit :p ). Most all new radios are menu driven nowadays so there is a learning curve, but if you keep both your HT and mobile within the same brand it's a little easier to only learn one system.

The crossband repeat on the 8800 is nice (I'm assuming its on the 8900 as well) once you get it figured out (it was a little daunting at first)

I wish the 8900 was as close in price as the 8800 when I bought mine, but at the time there was around a 100 difference.

Best of luck.

Radar

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks radar, the crossband repeat is really a bug selling point for me, to be able to leave my truck as a retrans would effectively transmit from the entirety of my concern. Since s&r around here has good air support, comms might not me an issue, but anything to extend my los would be good.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have the Yaesu VX-7R and I like it but as stated above, there is a learning curve and it helps to keep the manual with it while carrying it around for a while. I'm not an operator like I think you guys are; I bought it because I needed:

- waterproof
- rugged (has a metal case)
- capable of handling marine radio frequencies (I kayak/boat)
- capable of handling SAR frequencies (I do SAR/Ski Patrol)
- capable of handling FRS/GMRS frequencies (for hunting/caravaning/other)
- capable of receiving NOAA

I'm getting to the point in my life that I want things that can handle many tasks in a single unit even if it costs more. I only wish the Yaesu had CB capability, or if it does, I haven't figured it out yet. The menus can be pretty overwhelming but that is why I carry the manual! I also have the computer cable and the free software (Commander???) that you can run the radio with.

If you have big fingers, the VX-7R could be a problem. It has pretty small buttons that even with my long, slender fingers I need to use my fingernail to depress. Overall, it is a nice, solid unit but this coming from a guy that isn't in to radios!

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good to know. The guy who reccommended it to me mentioned you could mid it to handle cb freqs. I've got cb already, so I won't be modding mine, if I get one, you can probably find the procedure on google.

·
Bad Azz M 60 / Proud MM
1,173 Posts
I've got the FT-8800, FT-60R as well as an FT-950 HF rig with an MFJ tuner and an Ameritron AL-811 amp. I'll ditto Radar's comments. They are menu driven and there is a learning curve. I think Yaesu makes a pretty rugged product. It's good stuff. Otherwise I wouldn't have three of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts