Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here familiar with XRS handheld radios? See link below:

http://laintercept.wordpress.com/2007/03/14/first-gmrs-then-frs-now-xrs/

At the bottom of the above article someone chimes in with a poorly written comment that mentions something about the XRS radios not being able to communicate with each other without some sort of external assistance. I'm guessing he means something like a repeater.

If this is actually the case than that would probably leave XRS out of my short range radio plans as I don't want to rely on something the gov. could easily shut down.

Their frequency hopping security feature, as well as others, is a major selling point for me.

Is my logic faulty regarding repeaters? Could someone with experience in these radios please sell me one way or the other on XRS?

·
Registered
525 Posts
TSX100 and TSX300

Thanks for the post. I had never heard of them (eXRS) before your post. I don't have one, but can make the following guesses based on the advertisement. Note this is just my "paper" evaluation.

My opinion, based on the "specs".....I would not think the range would be much improved over FRS/GMRS, probably less. The power is listed as under a watt, lower power generally means less range, but better battery life.

It has loads of channels, that is a plus if you live in a big population center and have to compete for a channel. In an emergency situation a few dozen frantic people on the FRS/GMRS frequencies would saturate (occupy all the channels) and probably render them useless until the frantic peoples batteries died, ha. These would theoretically allow hundreds to talk.

Since the higher the operating frequency, the more "light like" the signal characteristics, you may benefit by multiple path reflected signal off buildings in a big city environment, in big steel and glass concrete buildings. Some with ham band radios (slightly higher in frequency) seem to almost talk around corners in a down town area surrounded by tall buildings.

The radios operate on the same frequencies as 900 MHz cordless phones, the manufacturers web site (Trisquare) FAQ, says the resulting interference would only last until the frequency agile radio jumped to another frequency. The TSX300 has text messaging ability, like a cell phone, no keyboard. Text messaging might be a very good thing. The more expensive unit also has NOAA weather radio reception. They run on 3 AA batteries, another good thing (common batteries).

The radios (TSX100 and TSX300) look like a technology to watch as it matures and has a bigger following. I noticed you can get the TSX300 for 80 bucks on amazon.

For now, personally, I will stick with FRS/GMRS, the price is right (read that as cheap). I hope someone here takes the plunge and does a proper review.

·
Registered
525 Posts
more

I forgot to add that you can download the manuals on line at their web site. I just downloaded the manuals, and will have a look. They look interesting, thanks again for your post.

I will try to link up the photo of the more expensive of the two the TSX300.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts