Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, apparently the type of gardening that I (and other lazy people) do has an official term: "xerogardening". It refers to the use of little or no irrigation/watering facilitated by mulching, plant selection, and biomass density. I always thought it was just an old-fashioned, lazy, resource-and-labor-efficient way of doing things, but the pointy-headed academic crowd have a spiffy name for it, and think it's some new discovery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerogardening

Anyway, it works like a charm. I refuse to water my gardens, except under certain circumstances like a freshly-sown seedbed or a severe drought, and my garden is always lush and healthy. I live in the adequate rainfall half of the country, where xerogardening is possible with little effort. This is one reason why I haven't moved from this New England blue-green sociopolitical nightmare experiment gone horribly awry. I can grow almost anything, and do pretty much nothing. :cool:

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
I saw a video of a 90 year old woman gardening the way you describe it. Incredible! She just dropped taters on the ground and then covered them with some straw. She said something like, "Why'd I bury 'em if I'm just gonna dig 'em up again? I can't figure out some people!" I darn near spit coffee over my laptop. :D:

·
Actias Luna
4,228 Posts
Well, I just do it like everyone else around here. I've never seen anyone with a drip irrigation system, we all just plant it, weed it, and watch it grow. In a long dry spell water is necessary, but I haven't seen one of those in a few years. :xeye:

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Back in the 70s Ruth was always in Organic Gardening showing her methods, and she also had several books out on the subject. I believe they are all out of print and very hard to find now.

Xerogardening is a funny term, but I'll take it. I've been doing it for quite a while. Everything goes back on to the beds. Weeds, clippings, leaves, hay, chips, feathers, food scraps, etc... It's just mimicking nature is all.

I love biomass.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Well, I just do it like everyone else around here. I've never seen anyone with a drip irrigation system, we all just plant it, weed it, and watch it grow. In a long dry spell water is necessary, but I haven't seen one of those in a few years. :xeye:
I'm still guilty of using the drip irrigation, mainly because we still have so much of it left over from the CSA, but I also think that it does help when it gets dry here. We can get some pretty good dry spells here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts