Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife recently asked me if I wanted any "Survival Junk" for x-mass this year, apparently our relatives have been asking her what I want.

This made me think, what would be a few good gifts under $50 for the survivalists in the family.

I came up with a few things off the top of head:

Hand crank flasflight
Compass
Multi-tool
Gift card to Bass Pro or Dicks
Knife
Hatchet

Please add to the list and if you have a web link please post it. I think this could help a lot of us here to have a very merry x-mass.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here's a suggestion...

The crank flashlights are great, but here's what I got today:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100652638

Now before you laugh...I bought a pack a few days ago just because they were next to the register and they were $5...I'm a sucker for flashlights. One "AA" battery each, and so far the run time is 15+ hours. I'm trying to kill the damn batteries and screw the things up but it just isnt happening...So I bought a few more packs and my GF got one, my sisters are getting one, and I'm keeping a pack unopened with my stuff. Big 5 had a sale on batteries today, $4 for 28 "AA" batteries. So one of these flashlights used in moderation with a pack or two of these batteries has real potential. Not a Surefire or anything, but I'm impressed. I put it on my nightstand and the room was bright enough to do whatever I needed to do. Easy to carry, even easier to keep running. I spray painted one green and one with a Rustoleum brown topcoat w/ green...now they look pretty good and water isn't a worry. O-rings and a little grease on the threads, works like a champ. Drop proof, nothing to shatter, water resistant for anything but diving, and great run time. Just my 2 cents! Maybe a solar charger for some rechargeable batteries too?

http://store.sundancesolar.com/unsobachfor4.html

and if you like solar stuff, heres a pretty cool flashlight. I haven't tried it, but seems ok:

http://www.sunnightsolar.com/

As far as a knife goes, look at this:

http://www.rockynational.com/2297_22-01117G_Gerber_LMF_II_ASEK_Knife_Foliage_Green_No_Sheath.html

It doesn't have a sheath (hence the discount) but I had one that fits quite well and this knife is a tank...

Hope this helps, too many decisions and so little money!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
+ bunches on the flashlight. I've had one for about 6 months and it performed amazingly during Hurricane Ike. I also have that knife but you should really try to get the sheath for it, it has an integrated sharpening system.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
I just picked this up and so far I'm very happy with it. I will do a review on it sometime after the Christmas festivities are over with. I got this for $25.
http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=16569
It has a NOAA weather band radio + AM/FM radio.
A 3 LED light
A main large bright standard flashlight
A port to charge cell phones.
Adapters to enable powering cell phones on any type.
A internal battery that is powered by a hand crank. The internal battery powers the radio, LED lights and charges cell phones.
It uses 9 C batteries for its main power supply but the hand crank power is long lasting too.

I trust the Black & Decker brand. They make pretty rugged equipment that has always worked for me.

Reactions: joes

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I just picked this up and so far I'm very happy with it. I will do a review on it sometime after the Christmas festivities are over with. I got this for $25.
http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=16569
It has a NOAA weather band radio + AM/FM radio.
A 3 LED light
A main large bright standard flashlight
A port to charge cell phones.
Adapters to enable powering cell phones on any type.
A internal battery that is powered by a hand crank. The internal battery powers the radio, LED lights and charges cell phones.
It uses 9 C batteries for its main power supply but the hand crank power is long lasting too.

I trust the Black & Decker brand. They make pretty rugged equipment that has always worked for me.

Sounds nice, how much does it weigh??

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Sounds nice, how much does it weigh??
Its pretty lightweight. Sorry I don't have a scale but with the 9 c batteries in it, it still weighs less than a 2 liter bottle of cola if that helps any.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I got an image of Mr Survival opening his present and finding a super pail filled with beans. "oh, thank you so much for the thoughtful gift!" :rofl:

I want to give holiday gifts that people can use and enjoy. If they have a compass or hatchet then how much will they get out of another one. Sure, a spare is a good thing but the effect is soon lost. The exception would be when someone is being precious about something. Say they have a poncho but they do not use it much because they do not want to ruin it. Give them another and tell them they have to test it to destruction. That would be fun, IMHO, and a good learning experience.

I will add Esbit or alcohol stoves to the list.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Plan on making an alcohol stove for my brothers and father who are not really into backpacking, but they sure would like a spare stove during a hurricane.

Also giving them an LED flashlight that I picked up on sale the auto parts store for $2.50 each a month or so ago.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
recargable batterys and a charger , small solar panal for said charger , lighters by the case, MRE's by the case , 50# bags of rice or beans and tell them your really would like some vasiline soaked cotton balls to keep you warm at night LOL...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Harbor Freight (I know- Chinese crap) has crank lanterns. I got 2- one for a secret santa gift and one for myself to try it out. They were $15 each but I had a 20% off coupon so I got them for $12 each.

I also picked up a 6 pack of Husky LED flashlights with batteries for $10 (just for myself though!) They are pretty nice and fit in the palm of your hand with the switch on the tail cap. Husky seems to be doing a ton of flashlights now, there were probably 15 different kinds at Home Depot.

·
281 Posts
under 50 dollars

Instead of flashlights, what about some kersone lanterns, they're relative cheap and fuel is easy to find and store...or add to your ammo supply or can goods via gift certificate at your store of choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts