Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure treasure will help me through the recession. Yes, I am at that stage already. Any detecting heads out there that can clue me in?

When I say I'm a beginner, I mean I havent even bought it yet. I wont be paying more than $250 on one either.

How do I decide on one? Whats the criteria for a good one? How do I pick a good spot to poke around? Batteries?

Anyone ever find anything worth while?

On the bright side, I am patient and love the outdoors

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have had metal detectors for probable 30 years.Both for land and under water use with hundreds of hours of use. Do not expect to do any more with them than get some fresh air and exercise.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
I have had metal detectors for probable 30 years.Both for land and under water use with hundreds of hours of use. Do not expect to do any more with them than get some fresh air and exercise.
They will help when your buddy loses his fancy Rolex down by the outhouse in the wee hours.

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its only for excercise and time killing mostly.A hobby for a few weeks. There are about two dozen historical battle sites nearby, so bullets and rubbish Im expecting a lot of.

Still, I havent a clue about detecting. I was hopin' someone might have a few do's n dont's

·
Registered
262 Posts
Look used. I have a Whites Di 6000 Pro that I paid 500 bucks for years ago that is a GREAt machine. You can surely find them used much cheaper/

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
When I first got interested in detecting I met a guy that was sweeping a gravel parking lot at a bar in Slidell Louisiana. He sais that you will find enough cheap stuff to pay for a cheap detector and enough good stuff to pay for an expensive one if you go to the right places. He went to swimming holes, picnic grounds, and gravel parking lots. Bars have some of the best stuff he said. Drunks dropping change, pi$$ed off Margot's throwing wedding and engagement rings when they catch Maynard with another woman. Necklaces ripped off in fights, etc.

I never bought a detector but it still interests me.

·
Google Duckweed!!!
1,258 Posts
I am planning on taking it up again...

Back in the late 70's, my older brother and I had a White's 2DB. We found bunches of Wheat Pennies and a small handful of silver coins. One Silver and gold ring. Nothing of real value. Still was exciting as a kid.

I am planning on ordering an old maps CD of Texas and trying to shoot for out of the way places where you might actually find silver coins.

One thing that bugs me to no end is when I see some idiot swinging the coil back and forth 5" above the surface of the ground. When my brother and I were detecting. We'd wear headphones, follow an imaginary line and then take baby steps whilst sliding the coil firmly on the ground back and forth.

We were determined to find EVERY coin in the ground.

As to model, we had a White's and knew of Garrett. We had one tone and a squelch. I could go a few hundred $'s into one, but want to see it in use first.

Sierra Dave

·
FOREVER ARMED
58 Posts
I have never metal detected in a grave yard but I have a friend who has and has found a few old coins. I'm not talking about digging up graves but around large old trees in the grave yard barely under the soil where some gathered around for shade. A long time ago people used to bury their money near a chicken coup. Chickens where a pretty good alarm system.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Garrett makes some really advanced detectors for beginners in the 250 range. I have two the first I bought I used at school yards and found loads of change all modern though. I did however find a 1898 barber dime on an old flea market site . I also found 12 rings all at various schoolgrounds and football feilds. It was always fun and ya never know what you might find. Just be prepared to dig a lot of junk .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use a Garrett to hunt older (20+ years) NJ playgrounds.
I average $2-$3 an hour with an occasional silver coin thrown in.
My best find is a gold and diamond mens ring.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Get permission to hunt before you start. Otherwise, everything you find belongs to the homeowner.
Do your research. Farmers used to dump their trash in a gully. Search for the tin cans and then dig for bottles.
Outhouses are good. Gramps would dump the medicine(?) bottle where gramma couldn't find it. After tearing down an old house, we took down the back alley shed. The outhouse was still in it. Found a Bitters bottle CA. 1900.
Hit the county records and see how the farms were split up long ago.
If you can find the old topo maps, they will show the homesteads, rural schools and churches. It is a fun hobby, you may hit it lucky, but the odds are not. Have fun and enjoy. Of course if you are crossing a mote, you can search for the buried mines.
Try to find a copy of your county history, Tells of caves, springs, mines etc.

·
Is back.
548 Posts
ANY outdoor gathering. concerts, beer gardens, Canada Day/4th July. Locally there used to be a beer gardens every year in the park. 4 or 5 people the next day would take the dectectors out and found like $50 each in an hour. They where all nice and donated it to the local LIONS club, and this was in a town of 4000. think about the 4th of July in a city of 250,000 or more. other than that It is just a hobby. I got one for X-mas when I was like 12. Never found anything big tho.

·
Rider on the Storm
102 Posts
I have a White's 6000D Coin Master. An older model (looks like a geiger counter and weighs about as much). I recently camped at a state park and hit the beach to do some detecting. I found like 12 bottle caps/tabs, an assortment of ladies hair accessories, and 12 cents (dime and 2 pennies). I love metal detecting, especially beaches but the beach had been picked nearly clean.

I find that people are like fish. We relate to structure just like a they do. At parks, gatherings, and such we gather around trees, park benches/tables, etc. so check those areas well Metal detecting is an easy & fun hobby that you'll get hooked on quickly.

After you buy a detector get use to all the different functions and settings and try it out on an assortment of your personal items (watch, gold ring, coins...especially nickels). Nickels are a strange item on how they affect certain detectors.

As someone said, get the home/land owners permission before you set out. Guarantee that you'll leave their property in better shape than it was when you arrived. You can always suggest splitting the treasure that you find.

The "best" thing I have found was a man's watch valued at $23. Alot of coins, toy cars, and trash. :thumb:

Good luck

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can dream, right?
Go for the big stuff. Check out "Ancient Lost Treasures" for some ideas.
I got together with a "professional" treasure hunter on there and had a ball for a few months before he moved away.
There is some fantastic stuff out there. I haven't found more than a few coins, but I have found the cryptic markings of secret societies on rocks and trees that confirm that I'm on the right path. There are tales and rumors that are fun to investigate.
You live in a Civil War area? Do your own research.
Lifes an adventure.
Go have fun!:thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a Garrett Ace 250. A lot of the people on those boards like this machine and recommend it to people just getting into the hobby.
I too bought an Ace 250. I can't speak for other models, but as a beginner it has been a great learning tool. Never found anything of value, but sure cleaned up a lot of nails and other small pieces of old junk just under the surface in my yard. Practice, practice, practice.

·
Thinking outside the box
764 Posts
If you are wanting to metal detect in a state park, please check with your state's parks consevation department. Some states require you to have a permit and even with it you are only allowed to detect in certain areas. In my state all you have to do is ask and it's free. Without it you risk loosing all finds and your equipment no questions asked.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Reactions: Hairy

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm glad you guys posted on this. I loaned my metal detector to my ex so she could find her wedding ring that her daughter allegedly lost. She found it and that was months ago and failed to get it back to me. I've got a higher end Bounty Hunter that I picked up on a budget. It's been a really good detector, so I can't knock it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts