Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know, a dumb question. I know new ones are cheap. But I collect militaria and have a mint US gasmask from WWII. In a pinch, do you think it would work?

·
Registered
167 Posts
It has to seal well and it would need new filters. Filters degrade over time. Can you get new filters for it?

You can test the seal by donning the mask, then tightly cover the inlet or inlets with the palm of your hand or both hands if there are two inlets. Then inhale as hard as you can and hold your breath.

If the mask sucks tight up to your face and doesn't move when you hold your breath, you are getting a good seal. If the mask slowly moves away from your face as you hold your breath, the seal is not good enough.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Heck, they're even saying not to use the gas masks made in 1960s, sealed in cans.
Rubber cracks/rots. Filters have short shelf life.
There's a gas mask site that lists all of the "don't use" masks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put it on and it seals. Everything about this mask is in mint new shape but it's the effectiveness of the canister that would be in question. So I guess it wouldn't work. I can't get new filters for it. I just though it might still be good since it was made in america when america was america!

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
I'd be careful, most older filters contain asbestos.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Work against what? CS gas maybe other types no way. And it has to be able to fit your face for a proper seal that has prob deteriorated over the years. Buy a go Israeli one or current issue US GI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts