Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mods: if this thread is considered too similar to other threads on The Virus, feel free to delete.

As briefly mentioned elsewhere, I do a lot of offshore assignments. Currently I am on the East Coast, half a world away from home, for two months. The location is not that far away from EBT-ville, about 15 miles as the crow flies and 25 miles as the SUV drives. Living and working in a relatively sparsely populated but still-suburban area, in a (solo) apartment. Commuting by rental car. 5 minutes drive from a basic WalMart and mall. Easy walking distance from a 7-11.

At the risk of duplicating much of what has been said in other threads, I think this - being a foreign transient - is a situation which is outside the virus-preparation mainstream for US citizens with homes and networks.

Like nearly all of you, I have extensive preparations "back home" which I beefed up prior to coming in this assignment, almost exclusively to do with extra food and pharmaceuticals: as I was and am fairly comfortable with the breadth and depth of long-established stores. But when you travel to another country with one suitcase and one bug-out bag, and you may end up having to self-quarantine with no friends or relatives and no home of your own, I think you face a different set of challenges.

This is my solution so far.

(Existing 72-hour bug out bag; I won't say any more about this because everybody has their own views).

Water:
- there is a fast-flowing stream nearby (actually 10 yards from my back window) which is visibly clean (although that says nothing about its microbial or potentially contaminated content; and, there is no industry upstream for at least a mile when I walked it)
- while the municipal water supply is unlikely to go down, I have brought with me my usual Lifestream water filter with two extra cartridges, plus a 5 gallon bucket and some muslin for sifting out debris first. (I also have a pocket Sawyer filter in the BOB).
- I also have a week's i.e. 20 gallons of store-bought 99.999%-guaranteed potable water as a standby.

Food:
- currently 5 weeks, probably increasing to 8 weeks (only landed here three days ago but did a major midnight shop at Walmart the day after arrival)
- jerky
- canned meat
- beans
- rice
- spices
- milk powder
- chewable vitamins
- canned vegetables
- soups that do not need water added
- oatmeal
- crackers
- (only two :)) bags of cookies
- bread to freeze
- Oscar Meyer precooked bacon (a weakness of mine)
- 'fresh' bacon
- butter
- wholemeal bread & ciabatta buns in the freezer
- vegetable oil
- butter
- dried fruit

The above is of course additional to daily fresh fruit, veggies, potatoes, meats etc. I'm not a fan of cheese, peanut butter or fish in case you're wondering...

I have also bought a small Coleman stove with four cans of butane in case I have to cook outside. I already have a titanium pot and cup in the BOB.

Shelter

I'm expecting to stay in place, work is paying for the apartment. Nevertheless, if I have to leave, I have bought a four-season two-person tent and sleeping pad. Don't have a sleeping bag, might put off buying that until it's clear I have to bug out - and yes I know that decision could go wrong. But I figure sleeping bags would not be the first things people rush out to buy if they have to quarantine. I have excellent broken-in boots already, and a good assortment of winter clothing. Also 2x disposable ponchos.

Hygiene

In addition to what I already have in the bug out bag (masks, disposable gloves, first-aid kit, and the basics for staying clean and brushing teeth and a few days worth of meds)
- Tylenol + acetaminophen
- aspirin plus ibuprofen
- 12 soap bars
- 2 extra toothpaste tubes
- spare toothbrush
- mouthwash
- laundry soap
- bleach
- dish detergent
- two weeks of disposable plates and utensils
- 4 rolls of paper towels
- 10 rolls of toilet paper
- 4 boxes of tissues
- Pepto-Bismol
- Gatorade (for rehydration)
- oral rehydration powder to make up a solution
- garbage bags
- 6 gallon bucket, 5 gallon bags and a toilet seat
- duct tape (to seal 'things')
- large hand sanitiser bottle
- shampoo (although mostly bald haha)

...fortunately, although aged :) I currently take no prescription medications.

Power

In addition to the batteries, hand-crank charger, handheld GPS navigator and small solar panel in my bug-out bag

- battery-powered radio (on the way from Amazon)
- a backup flashlight
- spare batteries

Total expenses for all the above so far, and not including the $45 NOAA radio or the wish-list below: $383.

Still on the to-buy / miscellaneous list:

Salt
Sugar
(More) powdered milk
White vinegar
(More) vegetable oil
(More) spices
Baking soda
Matches
Lighters
(More) butane cans for the cooking stove
(Probably) some candles although I never use those indoors
Fire starters
Hand-ax
Folding entrenching tool
(Maybe) a skillet, although I'll probably just use cooking gear from the apartment if I need to cook outside

I have ordered azithromycin online but it'll be three weeks away. I'm now thinking of looking in Walmart for fish antibiotics - but if anybody has another suggestion for acquiring antibiotics inside CONUS, would be appreciated. Mainly looking for erythromycin, doxycycline and metronidazole (being allergic to penicillin).

Being a foreigner, I can't of course buy a firearm. I am considering a JPX pepper gun or similar. But they are really quite expensive. May scale down my wants to a handheld Kimber-type pepper pistol.

Any suggestions welcome!

Obviously, if all goes well & I don't need any of the extras, I won't be taking them back home with me, I've already found a church store nearby that takes food bank donations where I can drop the extras off on the way back to the airport and home.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hmm tough call. Consider evac back home at *the first* sign of:

Neighboring countries self quarantine (denying flights).

American crop ups of this, and first talks of quarantine.

As to foodstuffs, reconsider revisiting peanut butter. It really is a great dense calorie & protein rich food. Mayhaps begin folding it into your everyday breakfast in small amounts.

Didn’t notice ramen noodles on your list, but they are great for a quick easy meal. Can easily be bumped up better as well (beans,veggies, meats). Or simply stand alone for a quick snack. Same goes for pasta.

Donate any unopened extras when on your way home.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Any suggestions welcome!
Find an American prepper friend in your area to bug out with if you can't get home.

doxycycline and metronidazole
Readily available for fish.

If you can't have a gun, your best weapon choice is going to be whatever you are best trained in. Axe, Sword, Club, Fighting Stick etc.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
.....fish mox!

Reactions: Madoc

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,611 Posts
If you want to hunt small game, a $100 springer air rifle is not classified as a fire arm. Anyone can buy one.

A goretex military bivy is probably the most portable and easiest form of shelter.

Not sure where EBT-ville is. Probably DC?

Some DEET and a head net if you really thing you might be camping out.

Primatene inhaler and some Benedryl might help if you get the bug.

They sell those water bobs for expedient water storage in a bathtub, if you have an extra tub. Otherwise, Reliance or other company at Walmart sells reasonably priced bulk water plastic jugs that hold 5 to gallons.

Goggles or swim goggles, nitrile gloves and respirator.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!

I feel that when I take the company's money I ride for the brand and will stay. Of course if they send me home I'll certainly go :) but right now, I'll keep working.

Can't get into peanut butter... the EOTW would have to be Very Nigh and not much else on the shelves before I rely on that... I do have some pasta and noodles but not in quantity yet. Volume right now is mainly rice'n'spices, and beans'n'bacon. Plus Spam (srsly).

I have a Water Bob at home but here there is only a shower stall. No bath. 'Efficiency' apartment living, hehe.

I have some instruction in singlesticks and quarterstaff and carry / walk with a very stout wood cane.

Excellent reminder on additional DEET. My BOB only has a small can. On to the list it goes!

I have failed to find any fish antibiotics so far but only been looking a few days / since arrival. Local WalMart has none, but will try a Supercenter and also eBay.

Am good for eye protection, gloves and masks at present.

EBT-ville is Philadelphia...

Again, I appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
I have failed to find any fish antibiotics so far but only been looking a few days / since arrival. Local WalMart has none, but will try a Supercenter and also eBay.
Walmart.com. I just ordered several bottles two days ago.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Not sure about PA. A bp revolver is legal to buy in NY, no permit required. Wait for it.....IF you USE it or have the ammunition to use it, it has to go on a pistol permit. Deep doo-doo if you get caught.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about PA. A bp revolver is legal to buy in NY, no permit required. Wait for it.....IF you USE it or have the ammunition to use it, it has to go on a pistol permit. Deep doo-doo if you get caught.
Thank you, indeed I researched this after the first suggestion was made and decided against it quite swiftly. It's not a lawful option. I believe I will stick with what's legal.

In the meantime I have added more boring stuff :)
More rice, pasta, canned soup
Canned bread
Fish antibiotics
Extra Lifestraw filter

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Footnote that. You're claiming illegal to own a BP firearm AND blackpowder? Wrong. NY and PA, like I think every state, have BP hunting. So your info is nonsense.

If NYC has something like you assert that would be one more illustration why only an idiot would set foot in the cesspool.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Thank you, indeed I researched this after the first suggestion was made and decided against it quite swiftly. It's not a lawful option. I believe I will stick with what's legal.

In the meantime I have added more boring stuff :)
More rice, pasta, canned soup
Canned bread
Fish antibiotics
Extra Lifestraw filter
Go to a Cabelas. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well...

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may...ted-united-states-under-nonimmigrant-visa-and

"A nonimmigrant alien without residency in any state may not purchase and take possession of a firearm. A nonimmigrant alien may only purchase a firearm through a licensee where the licensee arranges to have the firearm directly exported. A nonimmigrant alien who falls within an exception may, however, purchase and take possession of ammunition."

"A nonimmigrant alien who has established residency in a state may purchase and take possession of a firearm from an unlicensed person, provided the buyer and seller are residents of the same state, and no other state or local law prohibits the transaction."

Since I am a transient and not a resident, I can't. Double-checked with a PA county LEO.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I don't think black powder muzzle loaders are considered as firearms by law.

No federal background check.
That is correct. A blackpowder Colt/Remington is not a firearm. https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hp/reservation/view/manage.htm

Asking the local popo about gun laws is seldom going to get you good info. 2/3 of them think citizens should not be allowed to own ___________.

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/nonimmigrant-aliens

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may...dmitted-united-states-under-nonimmigrant-visa

"alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes"

I'm pretty sure your new sport is target shooting or hunting. PA is generally (other than Philly) supposed to be pretty gun friendly.

You might go to the firearms thread and find some PA residents that would have some personal info on the details of PA.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Footnote that. You're claiming illegal to own a BP firearm AND blackpowder? Wrong. NY and PA, like I think every state, have BP hunting. So your info is nonsense.

If NYC has something like you assert that would be one more illustration why only an idiot would set foot in the cesspool.
No, reread my post. I also am an FFL holder and run a gun store.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts