Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the collapse in going to happen, but what I have been thinking is how bad is really going to be for us.
At first do not get me wrong, it is going to be real bad. After a time though I think it is going to get better here than it has for a very long time.
I think it is going to bring families closer and teach people what to be thankful for.
We will not have as many dang cry babies that need to be pampered because tough times will teach, or deal with them accordingly.
I was just kind of wandering what everyone else thought.:thumb:

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Depending on what source you use, theories of how bad it can be vary. One source I've read went so far as to suggest that we could easily lose as many as 2 billion people spread out around the world. That boils down to one person in 3. Still others suggest that things will be worse overseas than here and vice versa. The overseas vs. U.S. disasters are based off of the idea that things are more primitive overseas so more people will die for a lack of certain factors or that people over here aren't as primitive as they should be so our people will die quicker. One very extreme disaster or SHTF situation indicated that as much as 90% of our population around the world could die off. That means that 1 person out of 10 lives through what's coming towards us. I tend to think that people are hardier than the so-called experts think. I see us going through tough times but I think, that like in the last Depression, most of us survived it. I think that will also happen here too. I don't think that things will be easy but I don't feel that they will be as drastic as others claim either. I think that when situations reach a certain peak that there may be riots, fighting, looting and so on. It could end up like a cross between the French Revolution and the riots caused by the Rodney King incident. Not as large as the French Revolution and not as small or narrow as the riots in the larger cities over the Rodney King Trial acquittals. Then again, things could go right through the roof too. I tend to think that with all the preparations being made in advance that something is definitely in the wind. I think that proposed estimates of pending situations are making our government leaders nervous or scared which is why all the preparations are being made now. So something fairly big is coming at us but we are not allowed to know what it is because our leaders don't EXACTLY know what it is either. So you and me are just going to have to be flexible. We will have to wait and see what happens and survive as best as we can. The one thing that I do think people see is a massive potential for a major upcoming conflict over natural resources. There's only so much fresh water, minerals and foodstuffs available out there and our worldwide population may soon reach the point where stuff becomes very painfully scarce and not able to supply everybody, sort of worse than what we are now seeing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
During the 1st and 2nd world wars in West Wales and probably in other parts of the UK, the Brits had nothing, rationing was the order of the day and the ladies of the house, were so creative in making a meal out of things like bread and dripping which is left over fat from cooking, nobody had nothing, this was the time that Britain was at it's closest as a people. There was no real crime and if a crime was committed, you have a kick in the butt or a backhander across the head for stepping out of line, the copper would march you back to your house, only to get another one from your father. There was a lot of respect and courtesy and nobody would be cheeky, doors could be left open while people went to visit each other in the community for a chat.

The point I am trying to make is, today everything is to easy to get, I love children but they have got so much technology available to them via the internet, mobile phones, games console and so on, people don't really appreciate what they have anymore, so if everything went bad, I don't think it would be that big a deal because we would all be in the same boat, this is just an example, if it ever gets bad enough that money is useless the guy that is a millionaire is a lot poorer than the guy who can his family and close friends live of the land and survive.

If anything is to happen, the worst thing you can do is have a pity party,
evaluate the situation, adapt to it, then overcome it or do it to the best of your ability.

·
El Cid, I hate hippies.
213 Posts
Well put.

That was really well put. While things may get worse, I think that you are correct that when it comes down to it, we are social creatures and people will band together to adapt and overcome. There will likely, at least short of nuclear war, never be a complete collapse of government and infrastructue and our culture and society will survive hard times. People will just have to learn to rely on each other and move back to the land. Starbucks will be a no go, but small communities will be a go.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Then one day a great flood came and washed away the wicked. Sometimes the toilet needs to be flushed. I just hate swirling with the turds and trying to keep my head above water but at least ya get a clean toilet after.

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I was younger, and had nothing to lose, the romantic notion of 'survivalism' had great appeal. I can see that same attitude in a number of people on this site. I don't blame them for it - I completely understand it - but as I've grown older my attitude has changed.

I LIKE MY CONVENIENCES. A whole lot. I like my big-boy toys. I like being able to get just about anything I want from one of the 4 grocery stores within spitting distance any time I please. I like having broadband internet, realistic video games, and downloadable music. I like knowing if I get a cavity I can go to the dentist to have it taken care of, or if I get injured or ill there's medical care available.

I'll do what I have to, when the time comes, and prepare for that day hoping it doesn't arrive. But hard times are definitely not something I look forward to.

·
Registered
528 Posts
CH, I think nearly of us hope that day will never come but I think we are right to prepare, my wife, thinks I am a nutter for prepping but I keep telling her, I would rather her and my family laugh at me from a warm dry shelter with a full belly of food and a drink than be in that situation that I didn't prepare for.

I know where you are coming from with regards to all of those conveniences.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
. There was no real crime and if a crime was committed, you have a kick in the butt or a backhander across the head for stepping out of line, the copper would march you back to your house, only to get another one from your father.
no crime, just hundreds of thousands of men dying in wars.
good times.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Agreed completely, SJack. I don't think my wife thinks I'm crazy... just eccentric :D It's actually more for her sake than my own that I treasure our current lifestyle. I think I'd handle hard times better than she, at least in the beginning. But she's a strong woman. I'm sure she'd rise to the occassion. I just don't want her have to.

We'll see...

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
AWWW Lets all have a group huh now OK?

Enough with the BS about people being good and honest and all going to just help each other out...

It just isn't going to happen that way.

Basic human nature is to be like cattle. We are led by the nose to eat, sleep, work reproduce, and die like good slaves.

As long as basic needs are supplied we as a race are content. When that system breaks down we revert to being animals.

In the aftermath of the German invasion of Russia in WWII, large parts of the countryside were left with no leadership and no direction. When the Germans cleared an area of Russian troops, they left the area to fend for themselves. There were no troops and no police. What did they do? They started eating each other.

These were not starving peasants. Food was scarce but there was food. These people just reverted back to a level of humanity not seen very often...

A major SHTF such as a massive EMP attack, or Yellowstone blowing up, or a full scale nuclear war, or an asteroid the size of an aircraft carrier falling in the Atlantic Ocean would not see us as a people "forming communities" and "banding together". There have been numerous studies done and the world population would basically be reduced by 50% in the first 6 months and down by a total of 85% within 3 years.

The current world population is 6,602,000,000. That means there would be just 990,000,000 people left after three years, and that's if there are no large scale wars fought AFTER the disaster.

Think about that... Disease and starvation would get 85% of the people you know. Those that are left are reduced to subsistence farming, wars of survival with neighbors, etc.

A total SHTF would be a very bad thing.

·
Banned
630 Posts
In my Family, My wife and I started at a young age with our son and daughter, they know how to hunt and fish and skim game and prepare the meat, the know how to farm and plant gardens, raise cattle and ride horses.. They have been taught to shoot various types of weapons and how to defend themselves....
We, as parents, have a duty to prepare our children for the bad times to come....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I for one hope nothing bad happens to anyone who doesn't deserve it. BUT I just rode out Ike and have been through many other hurricanes living on the south coast. You never know what form problems are going to come at you as so it is best to prepare for most (you can't prepare for everything). I have been through small riot too and they ain't purtty! I love to camp and have learned much about doing without the comforts of home, so I now plan ahead and make the others around me wish they had too when they see what I am having for dinner and when I have a hot shower in an area that doesn't have running water or electricity.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am thinking on the other side. Families will get closer at first but as rations get scarce they will fall apart. You know the arguments. You are not carrying your weight. Why am i supporting you. the free loafers will leave when you have nothing to give. Crime. The crime will sky rocket. Petty crimes at first and then they will get much more violent. House breakins when you are not at home but eventually they will get much more bolder. The law bidding citizens will probably be the ones hurt the most. My suggestion when it gets real bad. Try to keep to your morales but when someone comes don't hesitate. They come to you violently don't think twice. Use your instincts. Flee or fight. If you fight you better be ready to fight for your life. They will. Not only are they going to fight for their life but take what is yours. Just start preparing for situations likeing hunting, fishing, cooking, gardening... etc. But one more thing. Get yourself mentally prepared. I have been in war stricten countries and seen the poverty and what happens first hand. When it gets to this level you better be able to play for keeps. I think it will hit harder here but that reall depends on how bad it really gets. Some people in the world are already living the nightmare. It won't be a nice camping trip that is for sure and it will last for years if not decades. All you cn do it start storing practice skills and try to prepare yourself mentally. it is going to be a shock no matter how much we prepare.

·
Registered
272 Posts
culling the herd.....yup it makes sense.

I'm ready........at this point, i want things to get better, or jsut fall apart and lets get it on...yanno?

I don't WANT the poo to hit the fan...but if it does...so be it. To rephrase a saying from one of the batman movies.......

This country needs an enema!!!!!

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
Can't wait, anything would be better than this. Of course most of us probably won't survive but eh the world will be a better place and I won't really care any more if its not considering I most likely won't be alive.

Yes that may be a very dark view but I feel it is a realistic one.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think the coming depression will be quite bad. But i think it will be a good thing to an extent, at least it will wake people up.

As with people sticking together and each other helping each other out, it's a bit of a fairytale. i'm not saying that some small towns and neighbourhoods wont band together, because some will, but only if they are a close community NOW.
As for families getting closer and sticking together, it depends on your situation, some families will be completely torn apart, while other will rely on each other much more.
I wouldn't be supprised to see a couple families (lets say to 2 sibblings and their spouse/kids) living under the same roof.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts