Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ... the SHTF and you want a cold beer. What do you do?

You do not have a gas-powered generator or propane-powered refrigerator by the way.

And solar-power devices won't count either.

And no, you can't go steal beer from someone with power.

I'm looking for innovative and creative solutions to this problem.

Certainly if you have access to a cold creek, stream or spring that would keep things cold. Also using cold ocean waters if you live somewhere such as Alaska, Maine (have you ever gone swimming there in the summer? Brrrrrrrrr!) or parts of California with cold ocean currents.

So give it your best shot.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Styrofoam box filled with stones and beer cans, sealed shut, with a rope tied about it. Chuck it in the pond/stream/lake. Dredge it up when you want a beer!

·
the cuban hammer
503 Posts
if you could manage to find ice, and you lived in a area near the ocean, you could mix the ice and salt water in the cooler, and that would almost freeze your beer...lol...the ice and salt have a chemical reaction which makes it really cold....

but if you had ice, why would you be worried about keeping you beer cold?
so, my idea would only be prudent if u where a beer temp snob

·
Registered
270 Posts
A primitive fridge is taking two large clay pots. In the larger pot, put a several inch layer of sand. Set in the other pot to fit tightly around that sand. Pour water over the sand. Elevate the two pots, and place in a shady but breezy location.

You can now put your food/drinks in the inner pot, cover with a towel. Make sure you keep that sand wet.

It is how some nations keep their food fresh until they are ready to cook it.

·
Prepared in NH
12,866 Posts
Styrofoam box filled with stones and beer cans, sealed shut, with a rope tied about it. Chuck it in the pond/stream/lake. Dredge it up when you want a beer!
I was thinking the same thing. :thumb:

·
Registered
573 Posts
An earthen crock with lid, set down in a box with wet sand surrounding it to the top but not over it and set in the shade will keep foods and or beer cool as long as its shady and sand kept wet. You can also bury the box with a wooden lid just above ground level if you want.

·
Registered
535 Posts
But if it is sealed shut, then the styrofoam would act as an insulator against the cold water....kinda defeats the purpose.
Put the beers in a net & weight it down......:thumb:

·
Fixer
1,270 Posts
it will produce cooling from the application of heat to one end. heat source can be just about any thing, small fire , solar etc. . it is similar to the propane frig. in campers, one of the precursors to real refrigerators. instructions for building can be searched out online .
sorry i cant find the link at this moment.

·
Fixer
1,270 Posts
in my mind in a post shtf no power situation this may be the best way to keep from having to hunt gather every day. cycle the unit several times a day and beef up the insulation on your cold storage area (old refrig) only open the door 1 or 2 times a day and you should be able to refrig of even freeze food inside. i would like to build one but have not the time. if any one has thew time and would produce a few extra ones i would be interested in purchasing one from them.

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
Oh before I forget, If you like beer and don't know how to make it now is the time to learn.

and learn how to make you preferance, not just whats fast.

Same with corn, the law can't stop you from learning how to make shine.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Just thought about this...
I've seen one in operation in Lubbock at the Ranching Heritage Center and can tell you that in the summer while it's 100+ outside the water inside stays about 50 degrees.

The milk room was designed with thick walls, a double-glazed window and water trough. Water flowed from a spring or windmill into the trough where crocks filled with dairy products, eggs and other perishable foods were placed in the water. Wet cloths covered the crockery, and evaporation occurring in the dark room aided the cooling process.

The JA Milk and Meat House from the Palo Duro Canyon demonstrates a simple but clever method for keeping perishables fresh and represents all spring houses erected in the developing West.

Attachments

·
Unrepentant Sinner
371 Posts
I prefer ales, which are best served "cellar temperature". Just keep the brew in a cellar or basement and it's good to go. As for beer running out......make your own.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Looks like a lot of good suggestions, if you can find beer WSHTF :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts