Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
I thought that would be standard for soldiers to be seen respecting local traditions.
These aren't "local traditions". Sharia law is a different ball game! To say it's local tradition is minimizing the scope of the situation, considerably.

Many Muslims when in the USA, demand that they be allowed to practice Sharia law. ( you know, that archaic, demented tenet).
I don't see the USA or other soldiers demanding that the Muslims practice the customs of the USA, etc. THERE in the land of Islam.

21,494 Posts
These aren't "local traditions". Sharia law is a different ball game! To say it's local tradition is minimizing the scope of the situation, considerably.

Many Muslims when in the USA, demand that they be allowed to practice Sharia law. ( you know, that archaic, demented tenet).
I don't see the USA or other soldiers demanding that the Muslims practice the customs of the USA, etc. THERE in the land of Islam.
So does the military have a standard of following traditions of whatever scope you like in other countries?

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
So does the military have a standard of following traditions of whatever scope you like in other countries?
From what I've heard, probably NOT.
Look, for what it's worth, I don't agree with the USA occupying a foreign country under the guise of "helping them restore or embed freedom". To me, it's tantamount to dispensing democracy at the end of a gun barrel. Especially when a significant number of citizens in those countries don't want us there.
I reckon that while we are there, it would be good for both parties to respect each other. And when they are in our country, to respect our traditions. Respect goes both ways.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
They are simply telling the troops to obey local laws. If they don't obey those laws they are subject to arrest or whatever the local law calls for.

Beside we expect people who visit our country to respect our laws and traditions. (sadly so many don't)

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
They aren't asking troops to follow their laws. Just respect their right to them.

I don't agree with most of them. I don't expect everyone visiting my home to follow or agree with my religion and traditions. But I do expect them to RESPECT them. You don't have to pray and fast when I do or how I do. But please don't crank up the stereo during my prayers or munch candy in front of me during my fasting. It's just rude.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts