Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
101 - 120 of 215 Posts

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,154 Posts
i wouldn't mind meeting up with some people here in southern Oklahoma but a lot of us disabled have been told we are SOL because of our disabilities. I understand that, don't like it but totally understand. But I can set in 1 place and pull a trigger, I can can, dehydrate and all of that mess. I've raised chickens for the last 3 years and I got a breeding pair of rabbits from Badegebunny and her hubby a few months ago and they're still alive, so far anyway. Knock on wood, Lol. But nothing in the romance department. Had enough problems with my 2 husbands, not interested in dating anyone at all. I'm still working on learning how to garden though and I have a dry, sarcastic, some times morbid sense of humor.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I encountered somebody on this board that I already knew in real life, and also somebody who turned out to be a distant cousin. Neither of them is here any more. Another member here is a friend-of-friends and I wouldn't hesitate meeting if he and his wife lived a little closer. Made friends with another poster who has been a great source of advice and moral support, we email quite often. Met for lunch earlier this year and may possibly get together this fall sometime, but we live a really, really long way apart.

·
Forum Administrator
6,424 Posts
I probably have met people from here unknowingly
Pretty sure I have. I have no need to breach the subject. :)

I would however like to meet many people from here. I think it would be great fun and it would be very interesting. I have several open invites if I happen to be passing through and have made a few good friends. I talk to many on the phone regularly. Some are Mods and some are members. Some non active members are friends and I email with a couple from time to time.
I live so rural that planning a meet would be hard. I am good with that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For those who would like to meet others on SBs or at least address the possibility of doing so directly with others, why not, when responding to these queries, write your State USPS code i.e. ME, MO, CA, OR, WA etc. That at least gives a clue to others who then can address you via PM. It reduces the search from 50 states to one. Otherwise you are looking for the proverbial needle in a 640ac hayfield.
BTW....I've previously done so, but for this exercise: WA.

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,322 Posts
I didn't read every reply, but I will say I met someone years ago on another forum. It turned into a 20 year on again/off again nightmare which I hope and pray is finally at an end.

I am very hesitant to meet much of anyone to begin with, and from a forum? I don't know. I've had a few invites over the years from here which were graciously declined. At least I hope I was gracious, as that was my intent.

I just don't know. Maybe. I would have to give it further thought.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I remain in Canuckistan if anyone is interested... and the borders open....

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Computer glitched and made me think it was not posting.....

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I'm new to this area of the country and know few people. When I discoverd a fellow FB'er lived nearby I asked him if he'd like to get together at the local Irish pub. We did, very interesting and informative (for me, at least :)). Won't say who in case that's a thing for him. But a completely positive experience.

I might be biased: I love meeting new people and getting new perspectives.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Well, I sure hope if I finally move to the US in Q1 I will be making connections with other preppers, be if from here or elsewhere.

Edmund Burke said it better than I can:

When bad men combine, the good must associate, else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

·
Reach-out Kill enemy
327 Posts
I realize this is a huge Op/Sec issue but thought I'd toss out the question anyway. There are times when someone says something on here that tells people, generally, where they live (maybe just the state, sometimes the city). I'm curious IF someone knew (or thought they knew) that they lived vaguely near you... would you want to meet in person? Not meeting at someone's house but, say at a coffee shop or McDonald's or such in a neutral area? Is this a completely taboo question?

For myself... In the prepper community you get a lot of "interesting" people. Some of them I would trust with my life -- some of them I wouldn't trust at all. There is no way to know, on-line, which type of person someone is. We met a prepper dude at a survivalist show years ago and he's become a good and trusted friend. Interestingly, at that same show we ran into old friends that we had no idea had the same mindset as we did. That was cool.

My thought is - If the person reaching out has had a presence on SB for a certain amount of time (maybe a year or ?) then I "might" consider it.

I'm editing this to add that I wasn't even thinking about meeting someone to date but several people have mentioned that. I was actually thinking of terms of a fellow prepper to support each other either through just a friendship of ideas or deeper - depending on what people decided.
I plan on beling single from now on but have been trying to create MAGS in the Wichita Kansas vicinity but not a lot of preppers in kansas

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
probably not but ya never know, I am here to share some things and some things i don't and won't! I feel (tinfoil hat on now) that most prepper sites are monitored by the .Gov Creatures so there is that!

16 years ago i did meet up with some members of another group and what was disturbing to me was that for years most everything they had posted was just pure lies, they talked the talk but they never walked the walk, I find a lot of members on Prepper and survival sites seem to be online all the time like all day and half the night every day of the week which to me means they are not doing a whole lot of anything in real life period!
Many of us don't walk the walk we could, but are doing a few of the things needed. Prepping for 6 months of hard times(that is not 6 months of nothing), is a good start. Having dry goods put away is a good start. Having some type of generator(a solar generator is what I have) will get me through by keeping my refrigerator/freezer and a few leds on at night. Having cleaning supplies and some dry chlorine will help with clean water, TP, water barrels, tools in the garage and sewing equipment are a good start. I live in SoCal, so blankets and a dry roof will go a long way to keep us warm, but cooling in the summer will be a problem.
Being a prepper is being responsible. Knowing how to fix things/willingness to do so and help your neighbors or barter for other things you can not do. I can get over a hump, but no man is an island. If everyone in town had that much on hand, most problems could be worked out in that time. If it goes on longer, we will need to get more creative.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is a huge Op/Sec issue but thought I'd toss out the question anyway. There are times when someone says something on here that tells people, generally, where they live (maybe just the state, sometimes the city). I'm curious IF someone knew (or thought they knew) that they lived vaguely near you... would you want to meet in person? Not meeting at someone's house but, say at a coffee shop or McDonald's or such in a neutral area? Is this a completely taboo question?

For myself... In the prepper community you get a lot of "interesting" people. Some of them I would trust with my life -- some of them I wouldn't trust at all. There is no way to know, on-line, which type of person someone is. We met a prepper dude at a survivalist show years ago and he's become a good and trusted friend. Interestingly, at that same show we ran into old friends that we had no idea had the same mindset as we did. That was cool.

My thought is - If the person reaching out has had a presence on SB for a certain amount of time (maybe a year or ?) then I "might" consider it.

I'm editing this to add that I wasn't even thinking about meeting someone to date but several people have mentioned that. I was actually thinking of terms of a fellow prepper to support each other either through just a friendship of ideas or deeper - depending on what people decided.
Definitely wouldn't want to meet anybody just online I like to meet people in person and make sure that they are who they say they are I'm a good judge of character in person but yet you have to have a MAG

101 - 120 of 215 Posts