Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
61 - 80 of 215 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
INFJ personality types
I Didn’t know what that meant.
An Advocate (INFJ) is someone with the Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, and Judging personality traits. They tend to approach life with deep thoughtfulness and imagination. Their inner vision, personal values, and a quiet, principled version of humanism guide them in all things.

I would agree!

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts
Its funny that I’ve noticed the opposite. After conversing with folks online and then meeting them in person, they most always are exactly how I expected them to be except for a few nuances
In person, I'm actually a considerate, generous, and easy going person. Now once I get to know someone really well, I'm quite outspoken but that's because I'm speaking with a friend who's as far right as I am and who is just as outspoken. But I never bombard a person with heavy-handed opinions like I do on this forum.

I'm just so disgusted with the direction this nation is going that I do my venting in print.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,571 Posts
An Advocate (INFJ) is someone with the Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, and Judging personality traits. They tend to approach life with deep thoughtfulness and imagination. Their inner vision, personal values, and a quiet, principled version of humanism guide them in all things.

I would agree!
Mostly agree but I'm not really introverted (although I started out life that way). Since I have to deal with customers day after day after day ... I had to become an extrovert (although I'm a loner in my personal, after-work life). But I have friends who are both introverts and extraverts and there are likeable things about all of them.

·
Survivor
17,448 Posts
Sure, why not? I had set up to meet with someone on this board a couple of years ago at a local range, he never showed up and I never bothered to ask why.

I did meet up with several people in another group several years back, we had a overnighter at a person's rented wildlife preserve down on the American River. Had a great time and had planned a follow up, but the people lost the property and our group went in different directions.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Speaking of watching the news or listening to it. I haven't watch any news broadcast in at least two years. Years ago I use to listen to all the Talk Show People and found myself getting aggravated over listening the same stuff over and over and nothing was changing. So I stop listening to them. None of them are telling the truth more than half the time. I now listen to the Christian music on SiriusXM and find that even there Woke is creeping in. Hearing the Guy mention New Normal
I do get a few news reports via a couple apps. But even then you have to look at a another source to get close to the truth.
I am a Conservative Libertarian if there is such a thing.

"
In person, I'm actually a considerate, generous, and easy going person. Now once I get to know something really well, I'm quite outspoken but that's because I'm speaking with a friend who's as far right as I am and who just as outspoken. But I never bombard a person with heavy-handed opinions like I do on this forum.

I'm just so disgusted with the direction this nation is going that I do my venting in print. "

That right there pretty much describes me but I am more outspoken to even people who don't necessary align with me.
I'll come into the office and tell the girls something and one is the Fact Checker, Checks right away and I have been proven right 98% of the time.

One of the Ladies goes please don't ruin my day with facts. I tell her you want to walk around with the other sheep. thanks to me though she is looking into getting together with some other families to find a alternative to Public School

·
ICBM Warrior
649 Posts

I would agree!

ESTP here...😁

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I realize this is a huge Op/Sec issue but thought I'd toss out the question anyway. There are times when someone says something on here that tells people, generally, where they live (maybe just the state, sometimes the city). I'm curious IF someone knew (or thought they knew) that they lived vaguely near you... would you want to meet in person? Not meeting at someone's house but, say at a coffee shop or McDonald's or such in a neutral area? Is this a completely taboo question?

I'm editing this to add that I wasn't even thinking about meeting someone to date but several people have mentioned that. I was actually thinking of terms of a fellow prepper to support each other either through just a friendship of ideas or deeper - depending on what people decided.
Now is the time to actually make "face to face" connections. I'm not talking conspiracy or crazy stuff, just old-fashioned meet and greets. I did one from another forum this past spring. We just met for lunch with some basic ground rules, nothing serious; significant others invited.

OPSEC is easy:

Introductions: no pressure to say anymore than your first name
No discussions about anything illegal
No pressuring about anything
Basic dignity and respect while being courteous

About eight showed, some with spouses. Most of the talk was about guns (gun forum). A little politcs.

Purpose was just to start put faces to forum names, make some connections, talk about other hobbies, serve as a small group "bill board" for deals, events, etc. Social media, MSM, our government, and schizophrenics have ruined this basic, social norm. Everybody fears there's an undercover agent, whacko serial killer, or the funny smelling doomsday prepper who thinks you want to date. The reality couldn't be further from the truth (except for the undercover agent thing :cool: ).

Pick a place to do lunch that has a separate room if that makes your more comfortable. I set it up and just said it was a work event. Went off great, we haven't done another one, but I've been messaged about doing another one and possibly setting up a shooting event with the hometown range we all have access to.

Do it. Just be smart about it and make the initial agenda short and not too deep. People will be genuinely interested or not. It takes time, but you can develop a good local network not reliant on the internet...

ROCK6

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,074 Posts
I met up with a survivalistboards member a number of years ago. We agreed to meet in a city that was roughly equidistant from us, at a coffeeshop (for some reason I can't recall if it was a Starbucks or something else).

He had a Costco membership, which I did not, and we went there to look at what there was. Then we retired back to the coffeeshop.

It was interesting to meet someone else with similar concerns and interests, but it turned out our priorities and approaches were rather different. He was single, about 20 years older than I was, while I was married with kids. Different issues, different concerns.

I learned some things about how he was approaching prepping, but little of it had relevance to my own situation.

Would I like to meet someone currently who is on SB? I can think of about a half dozen people here I'd love to share a beer with, but it'll never happen. More's the pity.

·
Padre in the woods
2,785 Posts
If things would ever get tame again, I would suggest a 3 or 4 state get together. We would have these every year, up until 2017 when business got insane. We could find a park or area where we could rent it for the weekend, (usually Wed-Sun), do a meet-n-greet, get some speakers on topics, and then have a Saturday night hog roast. Fun times. Sometimes one of other shop owners would bring their guys with them. 2014 was our big year, 82 people, and 4 vendors to show off things. Highlight of the "show and tell" was a video showing how one shop had teamed up with some guys to build bug-out trailers. Covid halted 2020 and 2021, but prior to that we had a few shops beg off because their business was so good.

Still, I think the best part was meeting people and talking about things we all shared in common.

EDIT: The 3-4 state get together was not set in stone. A fellow name Will from North Dakota would always show up with his two sons and daughter. His excuse was "it got him out of the state for a while". But there would usually be four or five of these get togethers in various locations. I think 1999 was down in Bridgeport WV and 2000 was between Ann Arbor and Flint, in a recreation area known as Pinkney Recreation Area. Highlight of that year was a bunch of us drove over to Hell, Michigan, and got our pictures taken to say that we've been to Hell and back. Yes, there is a Hell, Michigan.

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
In person, I'm actually a considerate, generous, and easy going person. Now once I get to know something really well, I'm quite outspoken but that's because I'm speaking with a friend who's as far right as I am and who just as outspoken. But I never bombard a person with heavy-handed opinions like I do on this forum.
This is my biggest apprehension about meeting SB members in person. The political misery-loves-company-crowd endlessly complaining is just not my cup of tea. Even if I agree with the viewpoints and politics it gets old real quick.

I meet up at a local "Cars n Coffee" event every Saturday and there is a few old timers who want to bring up the same gripes every Saturday to anyone too courteous to walk away. These guys are simply miserable and unbearable. There's a time and place for everything.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts

·
Jackpine Savage
5,527 Posts
If things would ever get tame again, I would suggest a 3 or 4 state get together. We would have these every year, up until 2017 when business got insane. We could find a park or area where we could rent it for the weekend, (usually Wed-Sun), do a meet-n-greet, get some speakers on topics, and then have a Saturday night hog roast. Fun times. Sometimes one of other shop owners would bring their guys with them. 2014 was our big year, 82 people, and 4 vendors to show off things. Highlight of the "show and tell" was a video showing how one shop had teamed up with some guys to build bug-out trailers. Covid halted 2020 and 2021, but prior to that we had a few shops beg off because their business was so good.

Still, I think the best part was meeting people and talking about things we all shared in common.

EDIT: The 3-4 state get together was not set in stone. A fellow name Will from North Dakota would always show up with his two sons and daughter. His excuse was "it got him out of the state for a while". But there would usually be four or five of these get togethers in various locations. I think 1999 was down in Bridgeport WV and 2000 was between Ann Arbor and Flint, in a recreation area known as Pinkney Recreation Area. Highlight of that year was a bunch of us drove over to Hell, Michigan, and got our pictures taken to say that we've been to Hell and back. Yes, there is a Hell, Michigan.
Hell is a popular wedding destination in the winter. If I'm remembering right they are popular enough to have a chapel to rent for them. Getting you're wedding pics by the sign with all the snow is a big thing.

·
Padre in the woods
2,785 Posts
Hell is a popular wedding destination in the winter. If I'm remembering right they are popular enough to have a chapel to rent for them. Getting you're wedding pics by the sign with all the snow is a big thing.
They certainly do, as well as a small "court" where you can get divorced in Hell. :LOL:

The guy who basically owns the town is John Cologne, who has been trying to sell the town for $900,000.

He's up in years, and wants to slow down. Nice guy. Met him at Scream's Ice Cream. He's a Vietnam vet.

Here's a story you might like to see which was on CBS News about John.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
They certainly do, as well as a small "court" where you can get divorced in Hell. :LOL:

The guy who basically owns the town is John Cologne, who has been trying to sell the town for $900,000.

He's up in years, and wants to slow down. Nice guy. Met him at Scream's Ice Cream. He's a Vietnam vet.

Here's a story you might like to see which was on CBS News about John.
Also has a large neo nazzi group. Lots of swasticas on anything that can be carved on and doesn’t move. Hells angels has a charter there too I believe.

·
Registered
320 Posts

This actually sounds like a lot of fun and a good way to meet some good folks. If there is ever another one of these on the eastern side of the US, I'd be up for going.

·
fire starter
314 Posts
I did once. We had lunch at a diner and talked about everything preparedness. He was a nice person, but we lived a couple of counties apart, so we didn't meet again. It was a good experience that I would do again.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I can't be bothered to be honest. I used to be very extrovert and had quite a lot of friends , some I even met online on other forums, like a moms forum and a travel forum. Now, I just don't want to deal with meeting new people , all that talking, cleaning the house to have them over for dinner ( eventually ) etc etc. It's too much trouble and I know enough people already. Plus the older you get the more your friends are going to die, and the more you have , the more upsetting that would be.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I realize this is a huge Op/Sec issue but thought I'd toss out the question anyway. There are times when someone says something on here that tells people, generally, where they live (maybe just the state, sometimes the city). I'm curious IF someone knew (or thought they knew) that they lived vaguely near you... would you want to meet in person? Not meeting at someone's house but, say at a coffee shop or McDonald's or such in a neutral area? Is this a completely taboo question?

For myself... In the prepper community you get a lot of "interesting" people. Some of them I would trust with my life -- some of them I wouldn't trust at all. There is no way to know, on-line, which type of person someone is. We met a prepper dude at a survivalist show years ago and he's become a good and trusted friend. Interestingly, at that same show we ran into old friends that we had no idea had the same mindset as we did. That was cool.

My thought is - If the person reaching out has had a presence on SB for a certain amount of time (maybe a year or ?) then I "might" consider it.

I'm editing this to add that I wasn't even thinking about meeting someone to date but several people have mentioned that. I was actually thinking of terms of a fellow prepper to support each other either through just a friendship of ideas or deeper - depending on what people decided.
It's not that I am inherently against the idea, and I'm sure I could meet someone on a site like this and decide to meet.

The thing is, I'd be extremely cautious about doing so. Any forum where I talk about firearms, survival, "conspiracies," etc, I am very hesitant to reveal who I am mostly for employment reasons and so on, but also keeping things safe. On some other sites where people sell firearms or accessories, I've passed on good deals such as on Glock mags because I didn't want someone to know my address. At this point, with the internet I'm overly cautious, although to some maybe not cautious enough.

I separate sites like this from my Facebook or LinkedIn, where my persona is known and I largely know all my contacts already. Also, both of those are fairly clean, the latter being purely professional.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I see no problem with it. I figure with opsec and everything meeting someone in the area to converse with is no problem. Just don't give up to much information about preps, and that kind off stuff when hanging out. Get a feel for people first.

61 - 80 of 215 Posts