Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I realize this is a huge Op/Sec issue but thought I'd toss out the question anyway. There are times when someone says something on here that tells people, generally, where they live (maybe just the state, sometimes the city). I'm curious IF someone knew (or thought they knew) that they lived vaguely near you... would you want to meet in person? Not meeting at someone's house but, say at a coffee shop or McDonald's or such in a neutral area? Is this a completely taboo question?

For myself... In the prepper community you get a lot of "interesting" people. Some of them I would trust with my life -- some of them I wouldn't trust at all. There is no way to know, on-line, which type of person someone is. We met a prepper dude at a survivalist show years ago and he's become a good and trusted friend. Interestingly, at that same show we ran into old friends that we had no idea had the same mindset as we did. That was cool.

My thought is - If the person reaching out has had a presence on SB for a certain amount of time (maybe a year or ?) then I "might" consider it.

I'm editing this to add that I wasn't even thinking about meeting someone to date but several people have mentioned that. I was actually thinking of terms of a fellow prepper to support each other either through just a friendship of ideas or deeper - depending on what people decided.

·
Lux in Tenebris
7,064 Posts
I realize this is a huge Op/Sec issue but thought I'd toss out the question anyway. There are times when someone says something on here that tells people, generally, where they live (maybe just the state, sometimes the city). I'm curious IF someone knew (or thought they knew) that they lived vaguely near you... would you want to meet in person? Not meeting at someone's house but, say at a coffee shop or McDonald's or such in a neutral area? Is this a completely taboo question?

For myself... In the prepper community you get a lot of "interesting" people. Some of them I would trust with my life -- some of them I wouldn't trust at all. There is no way to know, on-line, which type of person someone is. We met a prepper dude at a survivalist show years ago and he's become a good and trusted friend. Interestingly, at that same show we ran into old friends that we had no idea had the same mindset as we did. That was cool.

My thought is - If the person reaching out has had a presence on SB for a certain amount of time (maybe a year or ?) then I "might" consider it.
I have met several fellows via SB, made some good, long term friends..

One i train with as often as powwible..

NC Scout...

·
Lux in Tenebris
7,064 Posts
Radio operators are ok. Fly fisherman are snobs. :p Especially when the cat with the ultra lite spinning rig is hammering them trout.
Its the corn chuckers ya gotta really worry about... :)

Nailed this hog on small black **** (#20 midge) on the s holsten river tn..

Attachments

·
Indefatigable
21,543 Posts
I keep in touch with a few members via FB and have chatted with a few others on the phone over the years. I'm sure the identity of those people would surprise some of you. Yeah, there are a couple I might meet in person, but I'm not going to bring it up.

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
4,505 Posts
I have met a few people from here in person, one was a loon but the others were pretty cool.
If you know that you are within a couple hours of another member, I would absolutely recommend meeting them.
You just might be surprised and besides, friends in real life are still better than internet friends.
Just do so in a neutral setting like a restaurant the first time in case they turn out to be loonier than you are.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts