Votes: 16 16.7%
  • None

Votes: 71 74.0%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,623 Posts
nope...no way...
One thing I did learn with blackwidiws is they can jump a good 12inches. years back one was under a bench, I wanted my kids to be able to recogonise them, so with a long stick I was trying to roll it over to show them the hour glass markings. Once on the ground it jumped that distance towards me, needless to say the lesson ended with me jumping more than I knew I could and a squashed spider. Lesson learned was mine, know your enemy.

·
Logic is my Super Power
1,057 Posts
Most spiders do not attack randomly unless you squeeze them or they get caught up in your clothing. Snakes, on the other hand, will attack you...except for the coral snake. I have picked these up; they are actually pretty docile most of the time. I still kill all poisonous snakes that happen into our area simply because I don't want the animals or us to get bitten. Black widows I also kill as I simply don't want them around. We have a horrible time with spiders around here and nothing seems to work to get rid of them. Our shop has lots of black widows and I smash them whenever I find them. They love cardboard boxes and we have lots of them out there. I always approach a box with a can of insect killer at the ready.

I guess if you are trained to work with poisonous creatures, that's all fine and dandy...me, I'm going to loose their mortal coil to heaven when I find them. If they want to live peacefully, they need to stay off my property.

·
Indefatigable
19,903 Posts
I've been picking up all kinds of things that people told me I should leave alone since I was a kid. But I am not about to tempt fate, I leave the poison ones alone - and armadillos, I found out those are no fun either.

·
Some guy on the internet
3,311 Posts
i handle them with either a.22lr, shovel or the bottom of my boot...

what need do i have to touch these things and what possible benefit does poking the proverbial bear bring me?

short of a profession,there's literally no need to handle poison animals....call me pragmatic if you must.

·
Dork Sided
8,118 Posts
When we were kids my siblings and i would make a game out of it. My brother kept large empty pickle jars with live diamond back, mojave and cotton mouth rattle snakes in them under his bed. Our dad freaked when he found out. Burned them alive.. it was the only time i ever remember seeing my brother cry.

I was always obsessed with insects. Scorpions, spiders, centipedes. That and carnivorous plants.

·
Ultranationalist
12,878 Posts
I picked all but the two spiders. I like spiders, but those two are too small for me to try to pick up safely with my hands. A tarantula is big enough that I can get a decent grip and hold it safely. Those two on the list, no. Too small.

As for snakes, I'm experienced with snakes. I'd pretty much be willing to grab almost anything. Though some of those small pit vipers would make me nervous, being that they're small too. To me, the smaller they are the harder it is to avoid being bitten while trying to wrangle.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Spiders creep me the crap out:eek: don't like them ain't afraid of them, but they suck the joy right out of me being in my space. I spent three days in the hospital over a black widow nasty little bitches.
I lay rock sometimes for side money and was repairing an old rock wall for my mom and was down on my knees reaching out as far as I could and a dang copperhead came out of the wall and went right between my legs on his way to somewhere else, now I was no position to do anything at the time but watch him take his time moving out of my space, its funny now to think about but right then all I could think about is I got dangly parts down there I hope its a male :D: But snakes dont bother me but I wont handle them:thumb:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts