Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a credit card to ensure you have a year or more worth of preps? I mean with all the talk of our entire monetary system as we know it gone, or anarchy everywhere would it really matter if you had a credit card that didn't get paid? At least you would have food. The flip side to that is that the S**! wont really fly and we will keep puttering along and then you have a CC bill that you have to pay, but I guess with inflation it might still be worth it. If a bag of sugar cost 2.35 now in a year it might be $5??

What are your thoughts and opinions seriously.

If this is in the wrong section please move it.

·
Super Moderator
12,204 Posts
I sure wouldn't max it out. You might need it for some other emergency. Put a little bit on it... Maybe. But probably not.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
id max it out only if i planed on not comeing back but thats bug out and stay out doesnt work for everyone as a mater of fact i dont plan on buging out unless needed so i wouldnt max it out not smart they want there money one way or another...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
a credit card to ensure you have a year or more worth of preps? I mean with all the talk of our entire monetary system as we know it gone, or anarchy everywhere would it really matter if you had a credit card that didn't get paid? At least you would have food. The flip side to that is that the S**! wont really fly and we will keep puttering along and then you have a CC bill that you have to pay, but I guess with inflation it might still be worth it. If a bag of sugar cost 2.35 now in a year it might be $5??

If this is in the wrong section please move it.
I live by a rule "If I can't pay for it in cash, I don't buy it".

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No! Cut up the credit card/cards, and purchase things as you are able. Part of your preps should involve getting out of debt.
Yes agreed, but lets say you were a person who had just started waking up and and felt like you had to get some stuff to maintain when TSHTF. I have only put a little on mine just to get me started, now I just get a little every time I go to the store. It is admirable for anyone who stand up and say I never pay with a CC or I don't own one(may of us had to learn the hard way).

So my question now is lets say that you knew that next week was the last week you had to prep (and you only have 1 month's food stored and you do have a CC you can use) would you go out and buy what ever you could to maintain you and your family for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
157 Posts

I am going against the grain with everyone on this one, With your senerio where the monetary systems are gone or not working, anarchy everywhere, and Zombies are running around (oops wrong forum) then yes by all means use that puppy, Jars of change under your bed? cash it all in, Buy what ever you need with it because you cant buy gas on the black market when that SHTF with a Credit card. you might start a fire with it, sharpen the edge for a butter knife. But like everyone else said if TSHTF for only a few months and order is restored to some what normal then the CC people will be knocking, but at least you survived long enough to beable to pay it back..

I would say thats my 3 cents instead of 2 :D:

·
Registered
157 Posts
No! Cut up the credit card/cards, and purchase things as you are able. Part of your preps should involve getting out of debt.
I understand NO debt in the now world IE. 26% on Credit cards,

But, If you end up living in the woods surviving, trapping your food, living off the land, I am leaving the credit cards behind with my Ipod, But there are so many different SHTF senerios you never know.

Take care and prepare Ray and Maria

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Don't get into credit debt. You have to take it one step at a time. Pay cash. Cut back in other areas but don't get into more debt. Make a plan.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
I only have $600 total credit on two cards, so it wouldn't make a lot of difference....

However, if all of a sudden you start making MASSIVE, out-of-the-ordinary purchases on a card it will flag your account and at the least get you a call from the CC company, or possibly cancel your cards.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I should not have said MAX out, maybe I should have just said use. I have a 10k limit on one card, I maybe have 1k on it, I would never think about maxing it out, just to use it to get "caught up" on preps.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Cash is best. If you can and will pay the card off each month you will be fine but do not max it out, The problem is most people don't because "something" always "comes up."

Jerry and Grinnan are right. Do not get into the credit card debt if you can at all avoid it. Us may need it for an immediate emergency. I certainly would not use it for any food items. Do you really want to pay 26% interest on a canned ham? Nothing disposable. Hard items only like a generator, cook stove or weapon if you do not have on already.

Use the card once or twice a year just to keep it open. Buy yourself a knife or BOB.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Cash is best. If you can and will pay the card off each month you will be fine but do not max it out, The problem is most people don't because "something" always "comes up."

Jerry and Grinnan are right. Do not get into the credit card debt if you can at all avoid it. Us may need it for an immediate emergency. I certainly would not use it for any food items. Do you really want to pay 26% interest on a canned ham? Nothing disposable. Hard items only like a generator, cook stove or weapon if you do not have on already.

Use the card once or twice a year just to keep it open. Buy yourself a knife or BOB.
To keep mine open, I buy a tank of gas and then pay it off at the end of the month.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts