Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It broke my heart that I didnt catch the last excalibur on craigs as it was the top of the line model for $100, Tonight I find this ad. Al the other used ones are K-tel and Ronco for 25.

I just purchased this dehydrator... and, beyond not having room for it... I work too much to use it.

I paid $219.95 (plus shipping and handling) for the Excalibur 3900 Deluxe Series 9 Tray Food Dehydrator (Black). I used it once to make a test batch of raw coconut macaroons. That's it.

Along with the dehydrator, I also have (3) brand new / never used Excalibur ParaFlexx sheets @ $11.50 each for a total of $34.50.

Total paid was = $254.45.

If you are interested, please feel free to pick it all up for the discounted price of $180.00 -- this price is firm. I am losing $75.00 and willing to give this up to the right person. Thank you.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
Chipmunk,

I have an Excalibur 9 tray. It has a 10 year warranty and I love it.

If you don't snag it, I would. The paraflexx sheets will last forever and are great for dehydrating spaghetti and fruit rollups etc.

They don't come up for sale used too often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have this unit and love it! There are times when I could use another one to cut days off of drying things when the season hits. Go for it.

Gravy

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can check with Excalabur directly as well. We purchased one last week in Sacramento at the factory/store. We bought a "blem" and saved quite a bit of money on the 9 shelf model. You might want to give them a call and check with them directly on a price. Just my .02.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my Dehydrator, but would love yours

I bought a round type dehydrator with a downward air/heat flow at the PX and it is great, but by it being round it is hard to fit a lot of items on each tray. I have read about the one you are offering and I would love to get it. If you still have it by the end of March please leave another post. I possible could pick it up from you. If you however get a buyer before that time, by all means take it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have THIS

http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple_Deluxe_Sonotube_Food_Dehydrator/

My wife and I built one based on this.

I have enough beef jerky to last 100 days, at a pound a day.

So how many gallons of beef jerky is that? Assuming no issues with shape or container space, just pure numbers??:confused:

In our bug out truck we have the 'garbage can'

It's a 10 gallon can filled with food that has been individually vacuum sealed, then sealed inside the can with evaporating dry ice to push the oxygen out of the can.

We have dehydrated soups, meats, veggies, sausages with extra rosemary(antiseptic/disinfectant), and a bunch of dessicated rosemary. We use it to make everything from soup to hand cleaner(along with aloe, alcohol, teatree oil)

We also have 3 5 gallon jugs and 10 liter bottles.

We started doing this for Pennsic and other long SCA trips. What we realized is that going on two week camping trips with pre 1600 AD era methods was much AKIN to 'prepping'

Now that we don't participate in any reenactment groups its still fun to go camping. If we want fresh meat we either hunt for it or, more normally, find a local farmer and put some cash his way for organic beef.

Here's a GREAT camping tip. Buy a $20.00 brisket. hell buy 2. trim all the fat off and set aside to fry with later or put into stew.

You 1/2 of one and put into a large cauldron and make stew with potatoes, rice and rosemary, pour any pan drippings from frying sausages for breakfast into the stew. As the day goes you have a very flavorful zesty hearty stew. We also routinely buy day old breads from Safeway to throw in. I love to throw in vegemite/marmite as well to really darken it up and add yeast and b vitamins.

The rest of the brisket you can BBQ with seasoning sauces or do anything from stirfry to tamales with.

Set in fresh garlic/papaya overnite and you have a tender juicy steak you can broil.

You will never eat all that even with 4 people starving during a weekend. I have 4 dogs and a wife, its tough to eat that much.

On the way back into town, if we see any homeless people we give it to them or we save it to be...dehydrated. Go figure.

AS you can see food is never really a problem for me. What was a problem was beer/cider.

If only I could find an instant alcoholic cider recipe. The closest I found was apple cider mix, adding scotch or everclear and club soda. Thats really good by the way.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I did, I dont have it yet due to the seller being very busy and me living far from her but hopefully this week it will happen. Im very excited.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've been using my 2900# excalibur for the past 6 days.....I've done over 40 pounds of frozen Vegtables and I really love dehydrating....I've got a long long way to go.My goal is to get another one so I can run them both and get up to speed on my goals of grub for 4 people for a year.:cool:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At Last I have it in my hands and am very impressed. The books that came with it will keep me reading all evening. Thank you everyone for your advice.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
Way cool.

My first major project, after messing with it, was to dehydrate every ingredient in my wife's Minestrone soup recipe, one item at a time. I made up 11 bags of dehydrated soup. one to test, it was like fresh. The only thing I added that wasn't dehydrated was 8 Bullion cubes, sealed in a small bag, inside the big one.

Added 1 1/2 gallons of water and simmered 2 hours. Good stuff.

Take a look at this book, its awesome.

Amazon.com: dehydrators bible

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Way cool.

My first major project, after messing with it, was to dehydrate every ingredient in my wife's Minestrone soup recipe, one item at a time. I made up 11 bags of dehydrated soup. one to test, it was like fresh. The only thing I added that wasn't dehydrated was 8 Bullion cubes, sealed in a small bag, inside the big one.

Added 1 1/2 gallons of water and simmered 2 hours. Good stuff.

Take a look at this book, its awesome.

Amazon.com: dehydrators bible
Link didnt work sgtbooker. THink I'm gonna pick up that dehydrator. Got my finger on the trigger right now.

·
Consent Withdrawn!
2,020 Posts
Heck, I'd by it. I bought a $20 dehydrator from Harbor Freight...every freakin' tomato, jerky, rose, apple I dehydrate...you hold it up to your ear, it screams CHEAPSCATE!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts