Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum( alt-market.com) but thought it was a good question for here also.

So I posted in another thread "How many ounces is a fresh loaf of bread worth if you are starving?"

This leads me to the subject: Would you give up and ounce of gold for a bic lighter if it was cold out and you lacked the ability to make fire?

To me this strikes at the heart of this forum, what is worth what to you? If the world has fallen apart and people are starving how vaulable are those pm's?

I'd not trade a pound of rice for an ounce of gold if there were no assurance that I could get more rice.

I know that gold has been valued since recorded history but by who? The people that write history or the people that cannot eat it or make anything useful out of it?

So lets hear it what is it worth to you?

Russ

·
Registered
94 Posts
How on earth am I going to end up in a situation where I have an ounce of gold and no way to make fire?

Face palm!

As for how many ounces of gold it takes to buy a loaf of bread when you're hungry, it's about 0.1 grams of gold according to this.
It's just a matter of efficiency and good SOPs.
Example;
While recycling the two pounds of gold from around the neck of gang banger that died from excessive lead poisoning you happen to find some smokes on him but no lighter. One might have to go through the excruciation of building a fire with a bow drill, this may not be practical in the lull of combat! LOL:D:

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's just a matter of efficiency and good SOPs.
Example;
While recycling the two pounds of gold from around the neck of gang banger that died from excessive lead poisoning you happen to find some smokes on him but no lighter. One might have to go through the excruciation of building a fire with a bow drill, this may not be practical in the lull of combat! LOL:D:
Brilliant! :-D

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I posted this on another forum( alt-market.com) but thought it was a good question for here also.

So I posted in another thread "How many ounces is a fresh loaf of bread worth if you are starving?"

This leads me to the subject: Would you give up and ounce of gold for a bic lighter if it was cold out and you lacked the ability to make fire?

To me this strikes at the heart of this forum, what is worth what to you? If the world has fallen apart and people are starving how vaulable are those pm's?

I'd not trade a pound of rice for an ounce of gold if there were no assurance that I could get more rice.

I know that gold has been valued since recorded history but by who? The people that write history or the people that cannot eat it or make anything useful out of it?

Russ
and when the lighter fluid runs out? what then

and honestly there should be no reason you cant start a fire

no modern tools needed

now if you said an ounce of gold for a bottle of penicillin to save someones life yes i would trade it

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
"i would never be in a situation where I could not make fire"

I don't think that is the point of the question- the fire, bic etc is inconsequential, the question is about value, extortion and desperation.
In a power cut I could charge £10 a candle, and I'm sure people would pay it...

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts

·
Bowties are cool...
756 Posts

Russ
Ok...one MORE time *sigh*, and yes, I'm prepared to take the hit and accept the vacation if that's what it comes to.

The gold is not for 5 minutes after the lights go out. The gold, silver, copper (not jacketed slugs but ingots) and any other PM you have invested in are to PRESERVE WEALTH for when civilization begins to reassert itself and things have settled back down. For when trade has become commonplace again and something other than straight barter is the norm. For when SOMETHING OTHER THAN "a dozen eggs for 3 loaves of bread" or "a bushel of veggies for a gallon of milk an a half a pound of butter" has emerged.

Why is it that you anti-PM folk (whether or not you are that is how your post comes across) just refuse to get it, no matter how many times it's explained to you? Do you just not WANT to? You're here, so you aren't actually STUPID but I swear you are deliberatly dense and confrontational.

It's been explained and you don't agree. Fine, move along. You've most likely decided on either an AR or an AK as well, which is also super-freakin-fabulous. Please, for the love of GOD, keep that decision to yourself as well as your take on the .44 (also magnum or not), .45, 9mm and .50 because you are NOT going to make converts.

I'm not trying to convert you, I'm trying to SHUT YOU UP! Quit bringing this up for crying out loud. No, you can't eat gold, that's why it's part of a DIVERSIFIED preparation plan and it's used to PRESERVE WEALTH after you have bought the things you CAN EAT!

JESUS TAP-DANCING CHRIST!

--DL

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
Ok...one MORE time *sigh*, and yes, I'm prepared to take the hit and accept the vacation if that's what it comes to.

The gold is not for 5 minutes after the lights go out. The gold, silver, copper (not jacketed slugs but ingots) and any other PM you have invested in are to PRESERVE WEALTH for when civilization begins to reassert itself and things have settled back down. For when trade has become commonplace again and something other than straight barter is the norm. For when SOMETHING OTHER THAN "a dozen eggs for 3 loaves of bread" or "a bushel of veggies for a gallon of milk an a half a pound of butter" has emerged.

Why is it that you anti-PM folk (whether or not you are that is how your post comes across) just refuse to get it, no matter how many times it's explained to you? Do you just not WANT to? You're here, so you aren't actually STUPID but I swear you are deliberatly dense and confrontational.

It's been explained and you don't agree. Fine, move along. You've most likely decided on either an AR or an AK as well, which is also super-freakin-fabulous. Please, for the love of GOD, keep that decision to yourself as well as your take on the .44 (also magnum or not), .45, 9mm and .50 because you are NOT going to make converts.

I'm not trying to convert you, I'm trying to SHUT YOU UP! Quit bringing this up for crying out loud. No, you can't eat gold, that's why it's part of a DIVERSIFIED preparation plan and it's used to PRESERVE WEALTH after you have bought the things you CAN EAT!

JESUS TAP-DANCING CHRIST!

--DL
Thank you!

·
Registered
145 Posts

Russ
I would trade it, but chances are pretty high i already had the lighter and not the gold (i'm always carrying a lighter).

Good question tho, i see money/pm's as means to get stuff, not the other way around. If i really need something i trade the money/pm for it.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts

Very valuable as I will be one of those who will have hundreds of pounds of rice and trade goods that I will be accepting gold for exchange.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,392 Posts
Why don't you just plant 1/2 acre in wheat, raise some chickens and small livestock, and learn to make a fire for Petes sake?
Then you can eat and keep your gold as well?

O that's right, because you don't actually know anything about survival, your just a stupid troll.

Sorry I asked such a hard question.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts